Your First Saw Purchase...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First saw I bought was a Big mac Sp 105 It was new never ran With owners manual Kinda over kill were I live! But then I hunt Deer with a 375 H&H:laugh:

Sears Craftsman.. not sure what the HP was on it.. 18" bar and it shoulda had a 16" which is what I replaced it with.. Ran the hell out of it.. later as a "grab it quick and never clean it" utility saw. finally one day.. just couldn't get it to start. But for a hundred bucks.. I definately got my money's worth.

By then I had a Stihl 039, and later added a Husky 55 rancher to replace the Sears.

Now I live in the woods and use them all.

favorite?

I have to say the Stihl 200. Man what a saw.. immense power in a small light package..

It may look puny but it means business!

I just bought a new Shin 488 for myself.
My first saw was dad's old Homelite Zip (Lewis Brander has it now), then his cast-off Pro Mac 655, and a freebie Monkey Wards McCullough 610 clone with a scored cylinder. I found a parts 610 with a good cylinder on Evil Bay for that one.

I am amazed no one has named the wild thing as their first saw. I will admit it. My First saw was the Poulan Wild Thing. AKA the 40 CC terror. I used it for 7 years for general Homeowner cleanup work. It still runs but it is rarely used.
There is nothing wrong as far as I am concerned with a poulan! have great luck with my 2550 and the anti vibe is smooth! Too be honest I never seen a poulan until I went to Canadian Tire one day! I found this web sight and seen allot of poulan bashing on it So I made a post took some heat over it but it is all good! I have allot of different saws and been happy with with all of them!

OK the first one "of my own" was a little Husky 41. It was a birthday gift in 1993(?) and served me well... pulled it apart for some lovin earlier this year, and the top-end looks like new (I was amazed!)

First one I bought for myself was a Stihl 029 Super in 1999. I didn't 'need' it at the time, and by the time I did need it - a year or so later, blessed thing wouldn't start, or when it did, it wouldn't stay running long enough to cut. I gave up on it, and kept on sawin' with the trusty 41.

First one lately was the 361... and then I finally sucked it up and carried the 029 to the shop... so I was able to compare it heads up to the 361 "New saws, same gas, same wood, same day" Guess which one I like better!

First Saw

After some handmedowns my first new saw was a husky 238SE. I still have it and it runs great. It rides shotgun on my tractor while brushhogging. Its been replaced as a worksaw by a 346XP.

first saw

My first saw was a P-10 Pioneer with a 10" or a 12" bar. Bought it new in around 1978. Good little saw, cut a lot of firewood with it.
Wes

There is nothing wrong as far as I am concerned with a poulan! have great luck with my 2550 and the anti vibe is smooth! Too be honest I never seen a poulan until I went to Canadian Tire one day! I found this web sight and seen allot of poulan bashing on it So I made a post took some heat over it but it is all good! I have allot of different saws and been happy with with all of them!

Actually, I think my Sears saw WAS a Poulan. I think Poulan made all of the Sears chainsaws back then. Maybe they still do!

I have a friend up in Washington State.. land of big trees.. and that's his ONLY saw.. the Wild Thing! Loves it.

first saw:

Corona 10" folding. Followed shortly thereafter by the husky 338xpt, November, 2006.

First saw was a Husky 257, great saw, fell out of truck in town, someone got a nice saw.
I recovered with another used saw, this time a MS440, talk about a screamer, incorrect rebuild resulted in a broke crank.
now I have an MS360pro, 372xp and a few other projects, lol.
Mack
This site rocks!

The first saw I ever bought was an 041 farm boss, followed by a Husky 285 which later became a 2100. My brother has the farm boss and I still have the husky. They are both still great saws and run well.

Wow, first one was a christmas gift. A homelite XL2 I beleive. ( Yes, Pa. farm boys ask for guns and chainsaws when its time for a gift ) I think I was 13 or 14 years old. I ran the daylights out of it, loaned it to my cousin who returned it broken. I traded it for a new Homelite and there have been a ton of them since. I have two old bubbas that I would never part with, my Mac PM610 ( modified, 20" bar and 32" bar ) and my cussed old craftman I have been ?????in' about thats in the shop now. Although I have newer saws to work with, these two old friends have done more than they were ever built to do. I maintain them all religiously, and thats why they have lasted so long!
( congrats. on your Stihl on order, I had a new 460 jump in my hands the other night at the shop, and they are offering a $20.00 off coupon, hopefully the wife will understand ):laugh:

Latest posts

Back