Your most problematic / unreliable saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For me it was a Stihl MS 390. I had this saw before I really started using a saw almost on a dailey basis. I had the 390 for over a year. And over the year it seen limited use. After roughly 20 hours of use the pto side bearing flew to pieces. I wasnt to impressed. My old dealer took the saw apart and told me it was unrebuildable. I got it back in a box. So I went to another dealer and got parts and put it back together. I had no clue how to reassemble that saw but I did. I figured if I could put A Caterpillar engine together I could reassemble a saw engine. My uncle has the same saw and it is still running today. That was in 2003 when I reassembled that saw. My second most problematic saw I have is A Husqvarna 385. I had to rplace the carb. The fuel tank vent was replaced and still leaks. And the pull rope jams up sometimes. But it does run good now after the carb replacement. I can deal with the leaky tank vent and pull rope issues. My question is what is or was your most problematic/ unreliable saw that you have or had? Thanks ROB

Homelite Super 2.

Replaced fuel lines when I got it, then carb adjustment screw broke (dont ask). Replaced carb and then starter rope broke, replaced rope and the starter assembly broke. Replaced starter assembly rope now the oil tank leaks.

Starting to think that this project isnt worth the time or money I have into it anymore.

For me it was the Montgomery Wards model 600 series about 1978, it would not oil, had it back several times and still wouldn't work. I ended up taking it back and went and bought a Partner S-55 and it still runs good.

Good thread Rob. Afterall most of our threads are about realiable saw we love. Our flagship saws. So this is a unique thread. We tried the 039 at the rental yard's when I worked there, and they dindn't do well. Reantal yard's are good proving ground because they see extra abuse, and abnormal situatioins. So if they hanlde that they will take almost anything. One I worked at had all Echo, that was my inttro to the brand about 1993-94. They proved to be rock solid. I dont have any that are problem child's. Got lucky in the order I guess. This site, and all the feedback will help anybody build a saw future. I bet most problem saw's, because of this site will be avoided.

It is also the homelite super 2 for me, I have about 4 complete and 5 engines and only one good runner. They are great little saws if you can get all the bugs out but darned if they don't have a ton of bugs in them. It's probably air leaks but I haven't put that much effort into them yet.

Stihl MS250. Came as part of the package with my Poulan 4000. Hard to start and will not idle, but then again, I have never tried to fix it either.

What does it mean to be unreliable? A defective part that was not made correctly, or a design that just isn't any good? If it's a design problem then all of them would be that way. If it's a bad part then it could be replaced. The two saws that have been most unreliable are my Poulan 2775 and my Dad's MS250C. The Poulan is now dead solid reliable and starts faster than any of the others, pretty much 1 or 2 pulls no matter what. I don't know about the MS250C, as it has not been used much since I worked on it, but it seems OK now. They're not really unreliable saws anymore I guess.

Last edited:
026 Stihl!!!

Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned in my life!!!

Mike

Its funny how people expeiriences are so different. I know guys that have had and ran the hell out of 026s for 20+ years. A friend of mine is a farmer and his 026 is so beat up you cant even tell its a Stihl..... all he has done is put gas/oil in it and chains and bars.

husky 350 muffler bolts stripping out gas leeks bad carb the worst saw i ever had

Not really had a unreliable saw, but my 032 is hard starting if it sits for a long time.

I dont keep un-reliable saws, they either get fixed and made reliable or they get sold.
I dont tolerate saws that wont run, I dont have the time or patience.

So...............that means we should be wary of saws you put up for sale? Just pulling your leg.:jester:

I agree. If they aren't reliable, then they're out of the "working stable" and on the "projects shelf" until fixed.

Not really had a unreliable saw, but my 032 is hard starting if it sits for a long time.

Not surprising. Those saws have to pump the the fuel up to the tank fitting, then over and down to the carb. That's a long way to pull fuel once it's drained back into the tank. You can pull the spark plug and just pull the rope about a half dozen times to get the carb pumping, then put the plug back in to fire it up. Crankcase pulses (which drive the pump section of the carb) aren't affected by the plug being out. Don't put the choke on until the plug's back in place or you'll run the risk of flooding the saw. That's an old trick (as is spraying some mix down the carb throat) to get a saw's fuel system primed without having to pull against compression so many times. I've done this with larger displacement saws (mostly McCullochs) as they're not that much fun to pull over a dozen times. Obviously, a decomp valve does the same thing.

Latest posts

Back