Your most problematic / unreliable saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't that the truth

Yep, I've had an awful time keeping my 026 running. My conclusion after that saw, never buy a used saw from someone you don't know.

For me, a used MS460 magnum. Great saw model, terrible individual saw. Nothing but major issues since day one after purchase. I know it's a good model and have just purchased a new one as a replacement.

Dolmar 5100 S.

A friend of mine purchased it used.

He doesn't work on his own stuff, so I've had lots of phone calls about that saw.

He has a terrrible time restarting it if it's not quite hot or cold. When hot or cold it starts great.

Homelite 410, it was bought new. It had to be the biggest pos ever made. Hell it stayed in the shop more than me having it in my possession, finally got the sob traded off. I absolutely despise this model. I've said it before, far rather have a sister in a whore house than a 410.
Did I mention I hated this saw?

For me it would be the stihl 031. I've had 4-5 of these and they were all a POS.

It was not mine but used it for 2 weeks it was a olympic I won't own one I had some problems with my mcculloch 1-41 with the clutch and chain it was a mess and a long story but run like a champ

for me it was a stihl 028wb Nothing but trouble , one thing after another, Carb hard to keep in tune, muffler kept breaking:angry: I could go on and on ! most reliable for me has been JONSERED :rock:!!!

A Poulan Wild Thing that I use to use all the time while working at farm for a few years. Muffler actually fell off while using it to cut slab wood :hmm3grin2orange: The chain was always too loose. Lord knows, I tried with this sh!t.

Personally the worst saw I ever owned is a Husky 44 or the MS250.

Replaced too many things on the 44. 250 never worked the way it should.

Stihl 031 AV

Had to be the saw I sarted cutting with ( 30 years ago) the 031 AV. My Dad bought this saw new, and we never could keep the thing in tune. You always had to keep monkeying with the low idle screw to get it idle right. We had a J-reds 90 ( still have it still runs PERFECT) that we used a lot more than we should have, considering how big it is, because it always was so trouble free. I know there are a lot people that had them and probably loved them. I think some of it is the luck of the draw. One person on this thread wrote that he hated his 026. I bought one brand new in the early nineties, have ran it and ran it, I think the only thing I've ever had to do to was put one carb kit in maybe a fuel line.

For me it would be the stihl 031. I've had 4-5 of these and they were all a POS.

I had two 031s given to me by two friends, neither one would run out in the field. I could get them perfect at home but when I got out in the woods they might start or they might not. If they did start as soon as I shut them off they were done for the day. I took them both to the landfill and tried my best hammerthrow tecnique with them. I have one know from another friend that runs perfect, go figure.

definately Monty Ward...what a bass ackwards throttle/oil pump design....unbelievable! that saw is crap, and should be gutted and fitted for birds in the spring. i had one and gave it to a friend, even though it ran. if you're reading this Drew, im kidding, that saw kicks ass!

Had to be the saw I sarted cutting with ( 30 years ago) the 031 AV. My Dad bought this saw new, and we never could keep the thing in tune. You always had to keep monkeying with the low idle screw to get it idle right. We had a J-reds 90 ( still have it still runs PERFECT) that we used a lot more than we should have, considering how big it is, because it always was so trouble free. I know there are a lot people that had them and probably loved them. I think some of it is the luck of the draw. One person on this thread wrote that he hated his 026. I bought one brand new in the early nineties, have ran it and ran it, I think the only thing I've ever had to do to was put one carb kit in maybe a fuel line.

Is 031 AV a bad saw? because you are starting to scare me pick up one last week

Latest posts

Back