Your most problematic / unreliable saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tigersaw

tigersaw

ArboristSite Guru
031 av

No, I wouldn't say its a bad saw, I just didn't like the one we had. My Grandad had an 031 AV electronic that always ran like a dream. Ours could have probably been fixed if the right person had gotten ahold of it.
I have a little echo cs 300 top handle now that I bought to cut out fencerows, that I'm not very proud of, but I know people who have had them and loved them.

foxtrapper

foxtrapper

ArboristSite Lurker
At first I was going to say the various home owner Poulans I've had over the years. 900 pulls to start, oil only pumps when turned off, etc.

But the more I thought about it, the more I decided to change my answer to "anything I picked up cheap and used at a yard sale or auction." That I think has been much more the problem than the brand name.

Old beat up worn out saws are junk, no matter what name is on it.

SkippyKtm

SkippyKtm

The Lorax, my FIL rip...
For me it was an 024. Went thru it comPletely. That saw just would not dial in. It sold on eBay for wayyyy more than it should have. Not that I'm complaining about that.

And you got away with that?!
If it was one one my saws like that, I would of got it sent back and crammed up my adze!:hmm3grin2orange:
220px-Adze.jpg

paccity

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
i think all 6 cube and up saws are p.o.s's ................................................................................................ if everyone jumped on that bandwagon maybe the prices would drop.;)

SkippyKtm

SkippyKtm

The Lorax, my FIL rip...
Any Stihl 031 with Walbro carb:msp_mad: if you want a old saw for around the house a Mcculloch 10-10 is the way to go won't let you down.:msp_smile:

This thread's a little old, but I'll bite...

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Stihl 031 myself and I do like the trusty ol' school McCulloch 10-10 saw, but you'll have to pry the Husqvarna 262 out of my hands first before I'll use one.:D

one2tree

one2tree

ArboristSite Operative
POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHLAN PREDATOR> HAHAHA (lasted about one hr cutting eucalyptus . then blew up (yes the fuel mix was correct). All saws have their issues . But good trades men don't blame their tools !!! most any professional saw STIHL OR HUSQY (my only exp) can eat the cheap brands for breakfast. If i wasn't already married id get it on with my 460 magnum ......LOL .. that saw (also ms 200 an 020) are absolute marvels in modern engineering.

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dolmar 5100 S.

A friend of mine purchased it used.

He doesn't work on his own stuff, so I've had lots of phone calls about that saw.

He has a terrrible time restarting it if it's not quite hot or cold. When hot or cold it starts great.

Good ending to this post.
Found out the carb can be very touchy on these.
Got online and located tuning instructions.
Went down to his place, followed the instructions, and the saw has run very well ever since.
It's been around 3 years ago now. Nice running saw.

TIMBERTRON

TIMBERTRON

DONE MOVING IN GREAT FALLS NOW
earthquake cs4518 that saw just suck balls i had a friend buy one and its been broken more then its been running.
chain break handle, cylinder base gaskets, cranks seals, ignition coil, oiler and then the piston ring broke and now its a door stop at the friends barn

a. palmer jr.
Good ending to this post.
Found out the carb can be very touchy on these.
Got online and located tuning instructions.
Went down to his place, followed the instructions, and the saw has run very well ever since.
It's been around 3 years ago now. Nice running saw.
I've owned 2 of those Dolmar 5100S saws, both required piston rings in short order. Don't know if the factory put in soft rings or what..

CJ1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Another vote for the Homelylite 410. Had to give it away. This was when I was making a living with saws and it was just junk. The only problem saw I own is a 562 and I think we are close to figuring it out as soon as I get off my dead ___ and get it to Randy! CJ

a. palmer jr.
I have a strato wild thing that has great spark but I can't get it to pop with any combination of new spark plug and mix down the hole or carb throat. The compression is a bit low so I don't expect it to run well but it should at least blow a smoke ring. Being that it is a wild thing and I have many better saws it is at the very bottom of my list of things that need fixing. I will look at the flywheel key when I get a chance. Only thing I can think of that would cause it.
Yeah, on most of them the key is built into the flywheel and shears pretty easily..