Your opinion of best firewood chainsaw for homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After paying $280 for my Stihl ms290, which was supposedly "made ready" to go by a knowledgeable seller, I have now spent an additional $100 on it to get it to run right. That doesn't seem like a very wise move... I wonder should I have just bought new and I wonder how much a good saw for me would cost new. I'm still trying to get this one right, lol, but if I don't get it done via suggestions on here, I'll take it to a different mechanic who has been recommended.

So, what do you think is a good chainsaw for somebody who does not cut a lot of wood. A few cords/year at most, since it doesn't get that cold here. That isn't much compared to you guys. And the occasional use in my yard; trees sometimes die, etc.

Reliable is good! I also note that this Stihl is maybe a bit heavy? I have considered buying a lighter one for limbing but then I think heck, I won't be cutting THAT much wood, so, I might ought to just get by with one saw. I am also curious as to what length bar is best for me. Do you have a favorite or a suggestion?

P.S. I am also intrigued with doing a muffler mod on this ms290. Also, bear in mind that I am not brand loyal... whatever works is fine with me... and I am not that worried about price. And... it doesn't have to be new but I am frustrated with my used purchase. I probably should have bought one from some local expert. Lastly, my firewood would be hardwood, mostly oak.

It's hard to beat an MS250 for a budget firewood saw. Not the strongest saw on the block but plenty for occasional "homeowner" use. I hear the price will be jumping up on them soon though.

I believe that the absolute best bang for your buck would be an Echo CS-590 with a 20" bar (the most common configuration). These saws sell for $400 new and will last you a very long time.
This is my favorite ground work saw in tree care, and for cutting firewood. I have numerous saws that cost a lot more money, and in this class I prefer to carry the Stihl MS-261C-MQ up into the tree when needed because it's a little slimmer and a bit less awkward to use hanging off of a rope and lanyard. But on the ground, I use the Echo.

Of course, that's an opinion. But, if you go to a dealer that sells both Stihl and Echo saws (many do) and ask them, they may very well point you to the CS-590 saw... I've watched my dealer do it several times. It's just a nice balance of power, weight, reliability and cost.

When you can't fix them yourself, buying used is always a crapshoot. As said before, it's hard to beat the CS 590 for what they cost. Since you can't do it yourself, I recommend you buy one from a dealer who is willing to properly tune it for you instead of getting at Home Depot, etc.

After paying $280 for my Stihl ms290, which was supposedly "made ready" to go by a knowledgeable seller, I have now spent an additional $100 on it to get it to run right. That doesn't seem like a very wise move... I wonder should I have just bought new and I wonder how much a good saw for me would cost new. I'm still trying to get this one right, lol, but if I don't get it done via suggestions on here, I'll take it to a different mechanic who has been recommended.

So, what do you think is a good chainsaw for somebody who does not cut a lot of wood. A few cords/year at most, since it doesn't get that cold here. That isn't much compared to you guys. And the occasional use in my yard; trees sometimes die, etc.

Reliable is good! I also note that this Stihl is maybe a bit heavy? I have considered buying a lighter one for limbing but then I think heck, I won't be cutting THAT much wood, so, I might ought to just get by with one saw. I am also curious as to what length bar is best for me. Do you have a favorite or a suggestion?

P.S. I am also intrigued with doing a muffler mod on this ms290. Also, bear in mind that I am not brand loyal... whatever works is fine with me... and I am not that worried about price. And... it doesn't have to be new but I am frustrated with my used purchase. I probably should have bought one from some local expert. Lastly, my firewood would be hardwood, mostly oak.

Lots of good advice here. best all around chainsaw for moderate amount of use is one that will run a 20" bar. Those saws will also run a 24" bar skiptooth if needed. That was my one saw stable back when I started in 1976. Many years later before I started adding saws. My 'go-to' is still a saw with a 20" bar. All the others in the stable are 'purpose use" saws, i.e, MS192T for brushing, MS441/32" and 28" bars for the big stuff (rarely used for that but it has turned into one noodling fool with a 20" bar), MS361 with 24" bucking/felling. Still pack my old MS310 as a backup in case one of the others packs it in.

Yes, I am all Stihl. and one main reasone is the inboard clutch. Allows dropping the powerhead off when you stick a bar. Have had to do that more times than I care to recall.

Harry K

Harry K

...buy one from a dealer who is willing to properly tune it for you...

Absolutely! My dealer does it with every saw he sells, regardless of price, and he has a sawbuck and logs in his shop! No logs on the property? They might as well be selling toasters and cement mixers.
His prices are as good as the Big Box stores, too. There's nobody at Homo Depot that knows which end of a chainsaw to point at the wood.

U can get a lemon in any brand of saw. It happens. Cutting a cord or two a year doesn't require anything special. What's important is ~ what U , as a sawyer , are comfortable with. IMHO the MS290 is a bit heavy, but it's a very durable saw, and can take a lot of abuse in unskilled hands.:yes: Lots of farmer have more than one at any given time. I like my MS 211,:chainsaw: but it may be a lil small for your liking. I just traded in a good MS270, which is a nice saw:popcorn2:. If U stay on-line here, I don't know how long your will power can resist the temptations of a pro saw:numberone:. Best to stay away from those articles:reading:.

I believe that the absolute best bang for your buck would be an Echo CS-590 with a 20" bar (the most common configuration)...

The Echo site shows that CS-590 as 13.2 lb dry weight. Isn't that about the same as my Stihl ms-290? Home Depot site shows the CS-590 as 20 lb weight; I assume that is with bar/chain. So, this saw is certainly not lighter than my ms-290, right? So, you guys are of the opinion that this weight is okay when we are talking about a good saw choice? I am reasonably fit but not a young buck, lol.

Curious... if one bought a CS-590, do people do muffler mods on them, lol, or is it good to go forever?

Home Depot weight is the shipping weight of the saw. Muffler mod is about all you need to do to an Echo. They generally don't benefit from porting, etc. as much as the Stihl and Husky saws. Completely stock they usually start easy and run great. If you're 45 feet up a tree, blocking down the spar, the cutting speed of a midsize saw can be important. You're on spikes and a piece of rope. Not the most comfortable position to be operating a bigger saw, so speed can be more important. I doubt if cutting firewood for your own use will put such demands on you. You can put a supercharger on a Volkswagon Beetle, but if you're using it to putter around town, what's the point? Only one... macho bullsh*t to impress the kiddies. Use the saw for a couple of months and see if it actually needs any mods, first. The CS-590 really doesn't, to tell the truth. Muffler mod on mine, but it didn't make a terribly noticeable difference.

I hear good things about Echo here all the time.

What is wrong with your 290? They are a great saw for an occasional user and I would keep it if you own it and it runs good. Might need to find a good dealer to tune it right.

I have Stihl's. I have not regretted getting pro saws. They are lighter with a better power to weight ratio. The 290 is heavier and my 260 has the same power with much less weight. If I was to have one saw I would have a 60 cc (362). If I wasn't in a hurry and wanted something lighter a 260/261 would be the way to go. MS250 is a good little saw for the occasional user. I cut 15 cords a year, clear tree lines on farm fields and do a little milling.

A single saw? Any brand 60cc pro saw, from whatever local dealer is the best. By best, knowledgeable counter staff, excellent service, good parts availability, including common items always in stock.

More than one saw, big crapshoot, really depends on size and quantity of wood that needs cutting, budget, etc.

290 is a decent homeowner saw .yeah it isn't the best mid 50's cc saw but it's a workhorse . If all you do is occasional firewood cutting I would run it . I mean if it's reliable and cutting why blow 500 on anything else . They are heavy and slow and archaic in design but as mentioned bulletproof and a capable saw for the money that isn't made in some crap hole in China. If your dead set on stepping up to a great midrange saw I'd look at the husky 562xp auto tune. Light fast powerful and light years ahead in technology

I have cut a lot with my 290. I did a muffler mod on mine and it really gave it more power. I even ran a 25 inch bar on mine for a few big oaks and it worked fine. Plus they hold there value if you keep them looking good. I still use it for medium duty cutting and softer wood.

I been using my Echo CS345(16") and CS520 (18") saws for many years. With proper maintenance they are hard to beat. I also would recommend purchasing from a dealer.
If your not cutting that much, you might want to try the Jonsered 2255 with a 20" bar. I picked one up cheap at TSC 3 years ago because I wanted a little extra bar occasionally. It surprised me, well made and really throws the chips with a full chisel chain. Usually I only buy stuff from dealers, but took a chance because of the price. I would not have at full price.

Back