Your opinion of best firewood chainsaw for homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used my Stihl MS 290 fro 6 years and cut around 12 cords a year. I recently bought a new Stihl 362. I cannot believe how much more power this has over the 290. It does not weigh that much more but it can really go through the wood. I can cut twice the amount of wood with this saw. Love it!

I bought my MS310 in the early years of production - one of the great home owner saws.

Bought the MS361 in the 2nd year of production. No comparison between the two, 361 is far faster but I still use the 310 as a backup.

I had problems starting the 361 until I learned not to use the compression release. I also crank the 441 without using CR.

Harry K

I like my little 510 Dolmar.

For 300 or so bucks I think it is hard to beat for an all metal saw.

It's a little torque monster that pulls 3/8" no sweat.

I only recommend one if you have a dealer near though.

Lots of good suggestions have been given all ready.

After paying $280 for my Stihl ms290, which was supposedly "made ready" to go by a knowledgeable seller, I have now spent an additional $100 on it to get it to run right. That doesn't seem like a very wise move... I wonder should I have just bought new and I wonder how much a good saw for me would cost new. I'm still trying to get this one right, lol, but if I don't get it done via suggestions on here, I'll take it to a different mechanic who has been recommended.

So, what do you think is a good chainsaw for somebody who does not cut a lot of wood. A few cords/year at most, since it doesn't get that cold here. That isn't much compared to you guys. And the occasional use in my yard; trees sometimes die, etc.

Reliable is good! I also note that this Stihl is maybe a bit heavy? I have considered buying a lighter one for limbing but then I think heck, I won't be cutting THAT much wood, so, I might ought to just get by with one saw. I am also curious as to what length bar is best for me. Do you have a favorite or a suggestion?

P.S. I am also intrigued with doing a muffler mod on this ms290. Also, bear in mind that I am not brand loyal... whatever works is fine with me... and I am not that worried about price. And... it doesn't have to be new but I am frustrated with my used purchase. I probably should have bought one from some local expert. Lastly, my firewood would be hardwood, mostly oak.

I have an MS 290 that's at least 15 years old and cuts everything I throw at it.
I'm still running the original spark plug.
Just remember, the more power, the more muscle you need to control it.
I have bigger saws but they take more muscle to hang on to them.
The MS 290 is hard to beat.

why on earth would a home owner spend several hundred dollars on a saw he'll use maybe twice a year?

just about any saw works great if the chain is sharp.

That's what I was quietly thinking. I have a Poulan Pro PP5020AV that I've been very happy with. I got it for $200 at Lowes with a 2-yr warranty. I figured even if it crapped out, I'd get a replacement and get 4 years out of my $200. As long as I keep the chain sharp, it cuts like a dream.

I'm not saying it's the best thing out there, but I highly recommend it for home owner use.

That's what I was quietly thinking. I have a Poulan Pro PP5020AV that I've been very happy with. I got it for $200 at Lowes with a 2-yr warranty. I figured even if it crapped out, I'd get a replacement and get 4 years out of my $200. It's basically a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with a different paint job. As long as I keep the chain sharp, it cuts like a dream.

I'm not saying it's the best thing out there, but I highly recommend it for home owner use.
The PP5020AV is a completely different saw than a Husq 455 Rancher. Not even the same cc size.

The PP5020AV is a completely different saw than a Husq 455 Rancher. Not even the same cc size.
Correct, not even close to the same. If you compare the prices you get what you pay for. The 5020 isn't a bad saw for 180 bucks but it's not in the same universe as a Husky 450 which is the same cc.

If you have a good-running saw that is, say, around 10 lb without bar/chain and a good-running saw that is, say, 13 lb without bar/chain, is it safe to say that cutting firewood (within the capabilities of the saw) would be more enjoyable and less tiring (even safer?) with the lighter saw? I keep thinking I would be better off with a 45cc to 50cc saw and then just cut within the limitations... reject whatever wood is 'too much for it.' Sorry for the ignorance, lol.

No ignorance in this post at all. Many people waste a bunch of money on the wrong saw(s) only to learn the hard way what you just said. It depends on what size wood you expect to be using the saw for. If you expect to cut some larger trunk sections, a bigger saw makes a big difference in work load. If you generally cut the smaller stuff, the lighter saw is a big advantage. One saw to do it all generally means you have to compromise something............often a little more weight and money for more power.

I've used my Stihl MS 290 fro 6 years and cut around 12 cords a year. I recently bought a new Stihl 362. I cannot believe how much more power this has over the 290. It does not weigh that much more but it can really go through the wood. I can cut twice the amount of wood with this saw. Love it!

I looked at that 362. I think specs say 12.8 lbs. The ms290 says 13 lbs, so, your new 362 actually weighs a tiny bit less? But I think it has a full one horsepower more!

I looked at that 362. I think specs say 12.8 lbs. The ms290 says 13 lbs, so, your new 362 actually weighs a tiny bit less? But I think it has a full one horsepower more!
290 is heavy & chunky. Pro saws be lighter, metal case and more power.

Power to weight/size/slimness goes to Husq pro saws.

There are a lot of great saws out there, especially if price is no object. But as far as price vs. performance goes, there are no other new saws that can compete with these:

50cc - Echo cs-490. Lightest 50cc at 10.6 lbs. and built like the pro 500p except for the plastic handle and laminated bar. Can be had on Ebay for $315/free shipping/no sales tax.

60cc - Echo cs-590. With fluids, the weight (15.19 lbs) is nearly identical to the ms362 (15.16 lbs) and 562xp (15.11 lbs). Shares many of the pro features of the 600p & 620p. Best place to buy is Home Depot if you are, or know someone who is in the military...$360 with military discount.

The fact that you are willing to do a MM (and don't care about the warranty) makes those two saws even more appealing. High quality, split case, easy starting, stone simple, and reliable.

I use two saw most of the time, both Husky's. A 55 and a 362. I found this takes care of the majority of my cutting. I usually reserve the 362 for falling and bucking and the lighter 55 for limbing.Both saws with 20in bars. Since my shoulder surgery, I have been consider swapping the 362 huskey for one of the sthil 362's. The sthil model is about a pound lighter than the 362 huskey and about a lb heavier than the huskey 55. Power level pretty close to the 365xp. I did get to watch my bil do a little cutting with the sthil 362 this week and It seemed to be a very capable saw. Just wish he would have let me run it, but I guess he wanted to wear the new off of it. I should add that we had a huskey 372 there while we where cutting and never even cranked it up.

No ignorance in this post at all. Many people waste a bunch of money on the wrong saw(s) only to learn the hard way what you just said. It depends on what size wood you expect to be using the saw for. If you expect to cut some larger trunk sections, a bigger saw makes a big difference in work load. If you generally cut the smaller stuff, the lighter saw is a big advantage. One saw to do it all generally means you have to compromise something............often a little more weight and money for more power.

YEP!

You've said you don't want a heavy saw (a 290 feels like a boat anchor to me) so IF you will not be getting into wood over 20", any decent 50cc saw will do the job and be light and easy to handle - but if you can, you might as well at least buy a semi-pro saw.

My favourite 50cc saws when stepping up from homeowner saws are Husky 545 /18" bar, and if you really want to splurge the 550xp, but to save a few dollars just get the 545 - it will be more than you need. You might also look at a new Stihl 261cm as they are just going through a model refresh and look to be lighter than the old one.

These semi-pro/pro saws will outperform the steady-eddy homeowner MS250, are built better than homeowner saws and are a worthwhile step up from all the other BigBox 50cc equivalents if you don't mind spending a bit more money. An added bonus, you won't get buyers remorse :)

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/545/966648501/

A single saw? Any brand 60cc pro saw, from whatever local dealer is the best. By best, knowledgeable counter staff, excellent service, good parts availability, including common items always in stock.

More than one saw, big crapshoot, really depends on size and quantity of wood that needs cutting, budget, etc.

Well said. And not enough folks consider what you mentioned about the size of the wood that will be cut. IMO the size of the wood is more important than "how many cords". A guy can burn 8 cords a year, but may live in an area where he rarely sees a tree larger than 10". Are you cutting on a pile of logs that was delivered or are you in the woods felling and limbing? Firewood all looks the same when it's split and stacked, but there's different routes to get there. I agree with the consensus here that a 60cc saw is generally the best choice. It maximizes your capability in a package that is comfortable for most saw users.

But there are times when it's more important to match a saw to the user than to the job at hand, because not everyone can handle the typical 60cc saw. Lot's of gals and old timers need something lighter and easier to start. So, they'll run saws that are in the 40cc class and have spring assist starters. Obviously there are some limitations as to what they can cut, but you can't cut anything with a saw you can't start. So, these folks generally stay within the range of the saw's capability, and you'd be surprised at how much wood they will put up with these little saws.

Spike, you touched on a very good point about size. I really like my husky 362 and it will handle the majority of any wood I am likely to encounter. The caveat here is that I am getting older and running the 362 limbing just about killed my shoulder. That is why I am thinking about the sthil 362, it is a lighter saw with all the power of the heavier husky. I have a 20in bar on my 55 as well, I set it up this way because it means only needing one size chain for either saw. The 55 came with a 18in bar and .325 chain. I have the bar and chains hanging in the shop. I am considering putting them back on the 55. I feel not only will I save a little weight, the saw will probably cut faster with the shorter bar and smaller chain as well. I have felled 4ft dia trees with 18in bars before, not the best tool for the job, but it will get it done. My 362 or even a 395xp could have been better choices, but what good is a big saw if you cant carry it or get it started.

The title says " best firewood saw for a homeowner " if you want the "best "now your in pro saw territory . I don't think for a general homeowner who will use this exclusively to cut firewood you could find a lighter faster more nimble and high tech saw than a husky 555 .now if you planned to cut bigger wood say for a owb or more than say 5-6 cords a year then I'd opt to grab the bigger brother - the 562xp .. The Stihl 362 I found unimpressive compared to the husky 562xp ..Dolmar also makes a great saw and my next favorite ,but you will want dealer support in your area

I havent looked at the 562xp saws, did they finally get all the bugs out of the saw, the hot start issues and bolts backing out of the case.

edit, I did a quick search and found the 562 is a little bigger cc than the 362, but both are rated at same hp. I assume the 562 should have a slight edge in torque, but didnt find numbers to support this. Weight of both saws is the same. The sthil 362 list for about $100 more than the 562. I will certainly test a 562 and the 362 before making a purchase. For the $100 difference in price, I know which way I am leaning

The title says " best firewood saw for a homeowner " if you want the "best "now your in pro saw territory . I don't think for a general homeowner who will use this exclusively to cut firewood you could find a lighter faster more nimble and high tech saw than a husky 555 .now if you planned to cut bigger wood say for a owb or more than say 5-6 cords a year then I'd opt to grab the bigger brother - the 562xp .. The Stihl 362 I found unimpressive compared to the husky 562xp ..Dolmar also makes a great saw and my next favorite ,but you will want dealer support in your area

Completely agree!

Looking at the costs involved, both in what you spend and in what you save with wood heat, I don't understand staying at the low end of the price ladder with saws such as that Poulan Pro 5020 which i think is just garbage. First take into account the costs of the stove/chimney, a vehicle to haul the wood, maybe putting up a woodshed to store it. It's a worth while investment because you are going to save thousands of dollars every year on heating costs. That same reasoning ought to appy to the chainsaw. Don't just think about the extra $100-$200 you spend the day you buy the saw. Think about the next 10-20 years of using it. Think about the difference between, "I'm really glad I got this saw", vs. "I guess it's OK."

Back