Your opinion of best firewood chainsaw for homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@spike60: [Completely agree! Looking at the costs involved, both in what you spend and in what you save with wood heat, I don't understand staying at the low end of the price ladder with saws such as that Poulan Pro 5020 which i think is just garbage. First take into account the costs of the stove/chimney, a vehicle to haul the wood, maybe putting up a woodshed to store it. It's a worth while investment because you are going to save thousands of dollars every year on heating costs. That same reasoning ought to appy to the chainsaw. Don't just think about the extra $100-$200 you spend the day you buy the saw. Think about the next 10-20 years of using it. Think about the difference between, "I'm really glad I got this saw", vs. "I guess it's OK."]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A person can stay at the low end of the price ladder with a 50cc Echo cs-490 or a 60cc Echo cs-590 and still have a saw that will give them everything you are suggesting. And most definitely give the OP what he's looking for. Most of the guys who have one would fall into the "I'm really glad I got this saw" category. There's no reason for a homeowner to spend $600-$700 on a chainsaw...unless they have the money and just want to. More so since the OP suggested he is willing to do some basic mods which the Echo's love.

Nothing wrong with Echos Idaho. Really great saws that are usually underated IMO. And great values with a couple of those discounted models you mention.

Unnecessary though, for you to always look for every possible opportunity to beat the Echo drum in these threads. Really doesn't add much to the discussion. We get it. You love your Echos.

Nothing wrong with Echos Idaho. Really great saws that are usually underated IMO. And great values with a couple of those discounted models you mention.

Unnecessary though, for you to always look for every possible opportunity to beat the Echo drum in these threads. Really doesn't add much to the discussion. We get it. You love your Echos.

When it comes down to it, really doesn't matter to me what a person runs. The OP asked a question and I believe my response was appropriate for him. Is that beating the Echo drum? That opinion "really doesn't ad much to the discussion"? My opinion is different than yours so it's not necessary for me to post? Hey, I respect your opinion but you probably shouldn't tell everyone else how they feel. Let them hear the opinions and make those decisions for themselves. After all, the title of this thread is, "Your opinion of best firewood chainsaw for homeowner".

BTW: The vast majority of members on this site are not professionals. They are just common firewood cutters like myself. The fact is, when it comes to price vs. performance vs. quality, Echo fills that role better than most. So when a guy makes a post about a specific need and Echo meets that need, should guys like me just stay silent? I have respectfully posted my opinions and that is what this site is about. I find your statement about my opinions to be arrogant but typical whenever Echo enters the conversation...especially the homeowner models. Their price vs. performance seems to stir up a lot of emotion.

The OP asked a question and I believe my response was appropriate for him. Is that beating the Echo drum? Their price vs. performance seems to stir up a lot of emotion.

Your response and opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. And the points you make regarding Echos are for the most part, dead on target. "Beating the drum" is when you PARTIALLY highlight a negative comment I made about the Poulan Pro 5020 so as to create an opening for you to repeat yourself.

Your response and opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. And the points you make regarding Echos are for the most part, dead on target. "Beating the drum" is when you PARTIALLY highlight a negative comment I made about the Poulan Pro 5020 so as to create an opening for you to repeat yourself.

Hahaha. I think you give me too much credit...I'm not that smart. I am, after all, just a meat cutter:).

And I'm just an equipment dealer. No smarter than you or anyone else.

And you have four CS600's? No reason for a firewood cutter to spend unnecessary money on saws, huh? :)

Only using one. The other 3 are still NIB, one of which is going to TN. later this month. I made an offer on Ebay, not thinking they would really take it, but they did. Got them for the price of a cs-590.

I've got a muffler modded 290 and it does fine. Can pull a 20 inch chain without a problem. I also have a 362 and really enjoy using it. It cuts smoother and better, so I use it almost all the time now. I think anything over that would be great, just not necessary for occasional fire wood cutting. But IF I had the money to throw at it, a new 70 cc saw would be fun...
Yes, it was fun for me to run my 046 Mag today. I had to cut some big oak and cottonwood using a 25" bar. All bucked rounds then had to be noodle cut in half before I could load them onto the tailgate by myself and haul them away to the splitter. That's when you really need the 70 cc saw. The MS 361 would have worked really hard but could have done it. On the other hand, the 046 Mag handled it with ease.

I think there are a ton of great firewood saws. I like Dolmars because they fit my needs best and the best local dealer is a Dolmar dealer.
I don't even consider buying a Stihl or Husqvarna locally because of the dealers or lack thereof of.
I would look closely at echo and dolmar myself. One reason is i dislike an outboard clutch and 2, I can work on them and tune them. If I where to have auto tune / mtronic problems I would have to ship the saw somewhere and back so probably an added $60 in just shipping.
3 almost any small engine guy/ chainsaw shop can work on an echo or dolmar. Just may have to order parts.

Back