You're gonna need a bigger boat.....saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W321shark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased a 036 from @cuinrearview and it has been running like a dream (after a little screwup on my end that a machine shop repaired for $20) a neighbor reached out about a white oak that they hired a fly by night tree company to remove. Well they felled the tree, limbed it and left it. So he is now asking for some help with it. I (without anymore knowledge of the tree) said sure no problem, lemme come take a look at it.

It is 50" at the base (actually measured) and tapers down from there. question is, can I accomplish this with the 036? I have a 25" bar for it that I've been running a full comp on with no problems in some pines etc. so maybe the 25 with a full skip and some time would do it. without buying a bigger saw, which I dont plan to do until I save up for a nice new Makita 7900, do you guys think this is possible, without wrecking chains and taking ages. I'm thinking it should be fine but figured id through it out there in case I am totally missing something and in over my head.

If it were me, I would use a full comp chain and just keep it sharp. That saw should pull it fine, it will be good practice for how to let the chain do the work and keep the saw running in it's happy zone. I've noodled with a stock 036 red oak and a 20" bar, it handled it respectably. That saw of yours has no base gasket and a little timing advance. I wouldn't go searching out wood that big all the time but lots of guys run 24 or 25" bars on a 60cc saw.

You could probably get someone to come out and take it away for free.

There's got to be somebody around that would like to come out and mill that up into slabs or timbers.

I know I would if I could ever find that rare big old good running saw for two or three hundred that I've been looking for.

@Colt Marlington im thinking im going to cut the first big section by cutting a decent size wedge then noodling the log up to give me a reference point and to keep the nose out of the wood until I get a better feel for it and some more c0nfidence. Ive never cut anything this big so itll be a learning experience. walking away with all limbs and digits is the goal.

Latest posts

Back