You're gonna need a bigger boat.....saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut a 40" oak with a Pro Mac 610 wearing a 32" bar and no spikes... Takes awhile but does the trick. Moving that bar and chain to a Mac 380 as long as the rim sprocket swaps. 27 or so more cc, spikes and a full wrap.

The only difference is the PM610 has to your saw, is mine has a manual assist/prime oiler to make up for the oiling deficiency.

If it's on the ground, that's 90% of the battle. It's not a race. You could piece that thing up with a 14" Poulan Wood Shark a sharp chain and a live studio audience.

@cuinrearview for the sake of my back and sanity this won't be a normal thing. So are you saying if it were you, you would run it full comp and a 25" or 20" bar? it tapers down to 30" pretty quick so I really only need to make that 50" cut probably twice.
That's what I'm saying. And take pics. We like pics with piles of chips in them.

@cuinrearview for the sake of my back and sanity this won't be a normal thing. So are you saying if it were you, you would run it full comp and a 25" or 20" bar? it tapers down to 30" pretty quick so I really only need to make that 50" cut probably twice.
I did one that size with an 036 I borrowed from @farmer steve that had a 25 on it. It will pull full comp chain fine. Time is all you really need. I wouldn't do it again with a 60cc saw but it maid the better part of a years worth of firewood and the tree service delivered it to my yard so time wasn't an issue.

I'd noodle it bar deep twice before you cross cut it. ( | | ) unless you intend to roll the big rounds to a trailer or a splitter.

This is how I bucked a 60" maple with a Makita 6421 with a 24" bar. You could also noodle perpendicular to the first two cuts, making a # and then buck it up.

Well just an update, me and my buddy went out this afternoon to take a stab at it. Didn’t have a ton of time but here’s what we accomplished.... my buddy did some modeling on the seat I cut for him.

Attachments

• A8EAA5EA-5F35-4A9A-B566-17D7EBD8718C.jpeg
    A8EAA5EA-5F35-4A9A-B566-17D7EBD8718C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 8E86122C-4FC2-484B-949A-626CF91CF659.jpeg
    8E86122C-4FC2-484B-949A-626CF91CF659.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 1908E25E-0810-4721-B224-20BADD9DB8A8.jpeg
    1908E25E-0810-4721-B224-20BADD9DB8A8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 84113EAF-A9AA-4D1F-908C-33A544E9C139.jpeg
    84113EAF-A9AA-4D1F-908C-33A544E9C139.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 4C46B678-27C8-4657-A932-ABC12FCFEC86.jpeg
    4C46B678-27C8-4657-A932-ABC12FCFEC86.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
@Haywire Haywood yeah yeah true. I’ve been going back and forth between the 25 and 20 to feel it out. Also there’s a joke in there somewhere haha

@cuinrearview yeah seems to be pulling harder everyday. Partly from break in and partly from becoming more familiar with the saw. Already looking for a project saw now. Best way to learn the in and outs I figure.

@James Miller :baba: that thing is gorgeous. For some reason I really like the giant weird “heavy duty filter” model. Idk makes it look different I suppose. Or could just be the gloss finish. But any of the 79’s are winners aesthetically. Doubt I’ll ever have the funds or justification to actually get one though. Maybe after law school.

The right dogs would help too. Tossed some on there that were for a 361. Figured they’d fit. Well they didn’t sit flush. Back in the market again. Any suggestions are very welcome. Loved the ones I had but couldn’t figure a way to make them work.

@James Miller Come to think of it, I do have a pretty ridiculous gun collection and could possibly be persuaded into a trade for a suppressor or rifle. That’s probably the only way I’m getting into one. If you see anything lemme know

@Haywire Haywood yeah yeah true. I’ve been going back and forth between the 25 and 20 to feel it out. Also there’s a joke in there somewhere haha

@cuinrearview yeah seems to be pulling harder everyday. Partly from break in and partly from becoming more familiar with the saw. Already looking for a project saw now. Best way to learn the in and outs I figure.

@James Miller :baba: that thing is gorgeous. For some reason I really like the giant weird “heavy duty filter” model. Idk makes it look different I suppose. Or could just be the gloss finish. But any of the 79’s are winners aesthetically. Doubt I’ll ever have the funds or justification to actually get one though. Maybe after law school.
Mine cost maybe 200 worth of seasoned firewood. I wouldn't have it if I had to pay for but someone made an offer I couldn't say no to.

Mine cost maybe 200 worth of seasoned firewood. I wouldn't have it if I had to pay for but someone made an offer I couldn't say no to.

Ahhh that’s right I remember you saying that in the 250 thread. Yeah I should just throw an offer up to friends family and maybe online and see if there are any takers. I have way more firewood than I need already. That one massive oak is turning into a ridiculous amount of wood. Also it splits so easy it’s incredible. That one slab I took off the other day filled the truck bed. Probably have 6 more full truck loads by now. In total I have ~4 cords right now plus another 3 of punk wood and pine for our outdoor fire pit use. Don’t hate me everyone up in the great white north but it’s already in the 70’s and sunny here :laugh: so the need is almost gone. Maybe the occasional outdoor fire. We have a screened in porch with a fireplace that leads out to our deck. (Bought the house from a contractor so we got really lucky on all the awesome stuff he built in)

Anyone have any idea why green firewood (in my area at least) cost more than seasoned??? Seems backwards.

Latest posts

Back