You're opinion of best saw EVER.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go again. Didn't we cover this a few times before???

I'd have to give my 'best ever' vote to a saw that was in production for over 30 years. This saw series drove an industry towards the production of "lightweight", "do it all" saws. It survived countless "imitations" from other manufacturers (including saws with superior performance) as well as "replacement models" from it's own manufacturer.

It's about as reliable as a claw hammer, and performs well enough to take on the majority of 'real world' cutting tasks. It's not suited for climbing, and the bigger/more powerful saws are certainly far better for timber falling and bucking. However, it will do any job in between those two extremes pretty damn well still for a 48 year old design. Yes there have been advances in power, 'lightness', and vibration control. I'd hope so. The saw I speak of is the Homelite XL12/Super XL-Auto.

My favorite, best built saw of all time would be the 6.1 and 6.8ci Homelite 9-23/9-26/900/909/990/995D and G series of saws. They're well ballanced for thier weight, have fantastic power for pulling long bars, have been copied by "the best selling chainsaw manufacturer in the world" (look closely at the 070/090 Stihls), and put a fantastic quantity of Old Growth timber on the ground, despite the short production life of the series.

The Homelite XP1000/1020/1100/1050/1130G and 2000/2100/3100G saws that 'replaced' that series in the Homelite lineup did their share of feeding the housing industry with lumber as well.

The top-tank McCulloch 700/800 series 6-7.5 ci saws (such as the 795, 895, and 797) rank up there for me too. Despite some carburetor issues, they're fantastic saws that have put millions of board-feet of timber on the ground, and were built to a level of quality that we'll never see again...........both traits shared with the 9-Series Homelites I mentioned above.

The 3400/3700/3800/4000 Poulan series gets my vote for the best "modern" AV type saws for the reasons already mentioned. They were the only saws in the same class as the XL12/SXL family that were in my mind a true improvement worthy of my $$$.

For "best top-handle" I'd give my vote to the Poulan XXV family (NOT the Micro's). The CV versions don't vibe too much, and they'll run right with the current "class leader", the MS200T.

Last edited:
I'd have to give my 'best ever' vote to a saw that was in production for over 30 years. This saw series drove an industry towards the production of "lightweight", "do it all" saws. It survived countless "imitations" from other manufacturers (including saws with superior performance) as well as "replacement models" from it's own manufacturer.

It's about as reliable as a claw hammer, and performs well enough to take on the majority of 'real world' cutting tasks. It's not suited for climbing, and the bigger/more powerful saws are certainly far better for timber falling and bucking. However, it will do any job in between those two extremes pretty damn well still for a 48 year old design. Yes there have been advances in power, 'lightness', and vibration control. I'd hope so. The saw I speak of is the Homelite XL12/Super XL-Auto.

My favorite, best built saw of all time would be the 6.1 and 6.8ci Homelite 9-23/9-26/900/909/990/995D and G series of saws. They're well ballanced for thier weight, have fantastic power for pulling long bars, have been copied by "the best selling chainsaw manufacturer in the world" (look closely at the 070/090 Stihls), and put a fantastic quantity of Old Growth timber on the ground, despite the short production life of the series.

The Homelite XP1000/1020/1100/1050/1130G and 2000/2100/3100G saws that 'replaced' that series in the Homelite lineup did their share of feeding the housing industry with lumber as well.

The top-tank McCulloch 700/800 series 6-7.5 ci saws (such as the 795, 895, and 797) rank up there for me too. Despite some carburetor issues, they're fantastic saws that have put millions of board-feet of timber on the ground, and were built to a level of quality that we'll never see again...........both traits shared with the 9-Series Homelites I mentioned above.

The 3400/3700/3800/4000 Poulan series gets my vote for the best "modern" AV type saws for the reasons already mentioned. They were the only saws in the same class as the XL12/SXL family that were in my mind a true improvement worthy of my $$$.

For "best top-handle" I'd give my vote to the Poulan XXV family (NOT the Micro's). The CV versions don't vibe too much, and they'll run right with the current "class leader", the MS200T.

Yessir,

Good old Made In The USA stuff.

We need to get back to supporting our Workers in THIS Country.

Like you said most of the new innovations were complements of American Ingenuity.

Overweight pigs, and the 310 is a low quality "homeowner" saw, to add insult to injury! :bang::bang::laugh:

I've owned a very nice 621 and did'nt care for it at all. How could you make fun of the stihls calling them ''pigs'' then call the 621 out as being the best. It's heavier than a poulan 4000 and 9cc smaller. Specs and feel to me looked to be a follower of the mighty green company.:hmm3grin2orange:

For me Id have to say the Stihl 044. My uncle bought one when I was a young boy, and its stihl cutting along side my dads 2 year old MS460 and my hopped up 362xp. That old 044 stihl cuts like a champ!

Early flat top 066 all the way, lots of power and lots of noise :clap:

100_1862.jpg

My all time favorite saw.

:msp_thumbup:

Back