Yuppie Logger Seeks Big Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ-20 Jointer, DC-380 Planer (15-1/2", 350 lb. head weight), the JTAS10 Jet is only about 3 years old. The quill on the variable speed 16-1/2" drill press is reason I got rid of my older 16" unit. Much longer throw and tighter tolerances. Actually met Nahm a few years ago. He's a real nice guy. That shop on the NYW is actually the producer's.

Tree,
Noooo, anything but the car!!!

Ah, the DJ-20. Jointer of jointers. Nice hardware.

What's that fellow's name, Morash? The shop is on his property in the Boston suburbs. They keep the locatiob secret, so I'm not sure where.

Do you remember some of the first NYW episodes? All Norm had was a table saw, drill press, and some other small tools. Everything was geared toward doing projects the way you could in a typical home shop. Things have changed. I wonder how many home shops have one of those TimeSaver belt sanders in them?

Yeah, I think it's Morash. Actually, my buddy and I are building a couple of houses up on Northwood Lake just East of Concord, NH, and he's looking into a couple of connections to get Mr. Morash to do one of them for the show next year. I guess they have a hard time finding virgin construction projects. We may meet with him within the next month.

Where do you live in MA? Western part?

I'm in Eastern MA, about a mile from the coast. Boston's about 45 minutes away on a good day.

Good luck getting that house on the show.

I used it a little this weekend up at the lake in between a lot of spring stuff I have to do to open things up. The little sucker really motors. Absolutely no problem pulling a 3/8-18" in 12" maple as long as I keep the revs up. I have yet to acquire a feel for it's best cutting speed as what I'm used to is the 266. It starts easy, idles perfectly, is light and revs quickly. As soon as can, I'm going to throw together a bucking stand type thing so I can run some timed cuts at a comfortable height without worrying too much about rocking the chains out if I come through too quick. I'll benchmark it with the 266 and let you know. Overall, so far, a real nice job by Dennis.:D

Hey Doug, when are you going to race your 2149 against Roger Barnetts (RB) 346? He is showing interest in prying my unused, brandnew 7 month old 346KD woodsaw, c/w expansion chamber.
Gypo

I can't race Roger with the 2149, because he recently traded his 346 XPG to Ken even up for a brand new stock 346 that Ken had hanging around.

I called Ken about the 346 and he accused me of being a sexual intelectual, but I think Ken is very fast, no matter how long it takes him to build a saw.
John

Doug,

Looks like you have most of the woodworking tools you need but I do not see and Powermatic in there. Well actually you do in a sense because now Jet and PM are together. A huge misconception people seem to have is age means low quality. As of of now Delta no longer makes a planer that will standup to heavy use. I am sure your 4 post DC-380 works fine for what you use it for and may last for you but they have never worked for me. I know it is tough to justify $12,000 for a new Powermatic planer, trust me I have tried. As of now my 40 year old Rockwell 18" wedgebed is being used about 4 hours a day 6-7 days a week. It is da"" tough to beat time proven Powermatic, Oliver, and Northfield equipment. When we were looking for a moulder one piece of advice we got was there was no replacement for iron, "get a big and heavy one" We looked at Mattison's, Diehl's, and others but ended up with a XL. It walked across the floor and ended up leaving quickly. My brother ended up getting a new $35,000 Weinig.

How are the Industrial Technology progarms in your local High Schools. I hope they have not went away like the ones around here. It is sad to see what has happened to tech progarms in the school systems. Many people like to place the blame on politicians but most all schools still are controlled by a 7 member community board. The responibility lies on them. If I can remeber it I will post some pics of the shops I work out of here. We still have a few left but they are dying fast. I am doing my best to maintain what we have left but I am fighting an steep uphill battle.

Just my random thoughts,

Bill

" A huge misconception people seem to have is age means low quality."

Actually, for quite a while I have had the idea that newfangled things were to be treated with great distrust. Old tools are tried and tested, newer ones, suspect. Maybe I am too old for my age. Clem.

For the most part, old things are generally more respected by virtue of their longevity. Some things just cant be improved on, but you still get what you pay for. Keeping abreast of things is the American way, then we can sit back and appreciate the past in the present.
John

Oh, by the way, a sexual intelectual, is otherwise known as a "Fookin' Know it All". Ken didn't really call me that, I just like to coin the term.
John

Back