Zama carb C1Q [s63a] trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All was running fine with my Stihl hedge trimmer then it went lean and had to keep blipping the throttle then it died like running out of fuel, only way it would fire was if the primer bulb was pressed while being pulled over. I had the carb apart and all is clean, very clean and nothing blocked. Fuel lines are ok as is fuel filter & air filter, cylinder compression is 120psi

I have not done a pressure test on the carb yet but will do. just wondered what you guys thought :msp_confused:

New carb is less than $30 at your dealer. Not worth fooling with for that kind of $.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

i just did a HS-45 at work last week. i think the kit you need is a RB-100 buy the zama kit stihls branded version is like $43. those carbs are very very picky. i soak em for about a half hour in a rust dip stuff then i put em in a sonic cleaner for 16 minutes sometimes longer. just make sure when you dissasemble the carb the needle comes out and the high and low screws come out. just soaking should be fine if you don't have a ultrasonic cleaner. the zamas have a welch plug where the high/low reference is it's the long skinny one under the tip of the metering lever if you blow out the holes for the high low screws to much it can pop that plug out and will never run right until you get a new plug in there and sealed. when diaphrams get hard and screens get clogged thats when they die like that usually. my thoughts....Do it right and put a kit in it because if you don't you'll be taking it apart again to do it anyways.

Happy Wrenching!

BTW the kit should be like $12

120 is borderline (to running at all) compression, are you sure that tester is in order, and has the right attachment for an engine that small?

Worst case - if the trimmer has been run lean for a while, that could of course have caused the top end to get scorched, reducing the compression.....

120 is borderline (to running at all) compression, are you sure that tester is in order, and has the right attachment for an engine that small?

Worst case - if the trimmer has been run lean for a while, that could of course have caused the top end to get scorched, reducing the compression.....

you do know the compression in question is on a hedge trimmer not a 346xp right? the #PSI only tells half the story there are other things to look at also. and i thought we were talking carbs not cylinders

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back