Zigzag or Rope Runner pro spar work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proplus

Reaction score
If you had to choose between the zigzag or rope runner pro for spar work, tree removal which would you choose.
I'm kind of thinking zigzag and adjustable friction saver as I feel it may be abit shorter and hold me closer to the spar.
It's my 1st time buying 1 of these devices
Also zigzag might be more user friendly

I've climbed on a rope wrench for years and like it but it get aggravating when your friction hitch tightens up. The friction cord wets worn in and it becomes aggravating when you are fighting to tend it. The huge advantage is you dont have to worry about side loading the device around a branch. Its flexible and cant damage it unlike a ZZ or RRP. So you need to take extra precaution when climbing on a mechanical device. I just bought a RRP and have been liking it. I dont see the appeal of the ZZ which is not mid like attachable. Besides, I dont climb DRT. The only advantage for the ZZ is if you do climb DRT it's more accommodating than the the RRP in that configuration. Either device needs a sewn eye to climb DRT. Good luck.

I think both are the wrong tool for spar work... too long. zigzag easily side loaded and damaged to boot.

an akimbo is great if you've got the cash.

I personally go up spars with gri gri plus.

super small, bomb proof, midline attachable. also inexpensive.

Of your two I'd pick the Runner. Actually any SRT device will let you get a closer cinch than DRT with a friction saver.
Akimbo is great for it's compact size, but I wouldn't worry too much about sideloading the runner on a spar. They see much worse in the canopy.

Back