Newbie Looking for Advice (or reassurance)....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are driving a $40k+ diesel truck in and around boston traffic to a fat desk job and you are worried about spending $600 bucks on a chainsaw?? A 2500hd duramax with the Allison has got to have one of the highest costs to drive per mile of any vehicle on the road short of a MACK truck and you commute in it just cuz you can. Something don’t add up. A chainsaw to you should be little more than a tank of fuel and an oil change.

You and I definitely think a lot alike. All of my hand and power tools are what pros use -- then I just don't have problems.
I went for the 372 in 2012 and never looked back. If I had the 357 I think I would have been disappointed -- the 357 would have been a lot like my stock 262. The 372 is a big step over the stock 262 and 357 -- 24" bar and sinking it in some large rounds has been great -- 40" plus pine has bee easy to handle. Also did some really big maple it just cranks.

I personally think if you get the 555 in a month or two you'll be disappointed you didn't go for the 562.
If the 562 was $200+ more over the 555 I would consider it, but I really think based on prices on the net it's more like a $100 difference.

Slap the extra $100 to $150 up now and enjoy the 562.

In a year or two you could always augment w/ a 550 (always nice to take 2 or 3 saws to a job so if something goes wrong you just grab another saw).
If you get into some big trees on your property, pickup a 372 or 390 used or something to get through those.

Go with your gut -- your gut is saying 562XP IMHO :)

Good luck.

saws i keep are saws i know "I" can keep running --they have to be reliable, have enough power to cut what i'm working at the time . otherwise they end up sold or traded off --- we cut big timber for decades so i would be one of those 'demanding" users--

if you don't have experience with chainsaws --ask around locally-- find out which dealer goes out of its way to take care of problems with saws he sales and buy a pro class saw from the best dealer locally rather than "brand" could be a good idea.

dealer support might be more important in the long run than which brand , HP,weight. ect ect.

a lot of people get by pretty good with the 40-50cc home-owner types of saws , even one of them set up with a good bar and chain can cut a lot of stuff. a good one would probably be OK for what your wanting to do.

i tend to stick to "slightly more saw is better than slightly not enough " in my own use --

you got to watch these guys on here --they have you building a nitro burning , ported and polished 99cc and full blue-print mill just to whack down a few pine saplings--LOL

all that said i still think the echo cs-590 is the best bang for buck out there hands down. sometimes they go for as little as $360 new too.

it is a dressed down pro saw not a box-store special , even though they are sometimes sold at box stores--lol

I probably missed where you said you'd only go new on a saw.

There's a lot of good deals to be had on used pro saws here. Honest bunch of guys.

I'm a Stihl head. I don't think husky's are built as well and I do own a 262XP.
+1 on the 262xp. OP should consider a ported one. There's one in the TP for sale that will not disappoint. I have no ties to it nor do I know the seller personally, I just have a ported 262 and it will out cut a stock 372. You will not regret owning one. JMO

You are driving a $40k+ diesel truck in and around boston traffic to a fat desk job and you are worried about spending $600 bucks on a chainsaw?? A 2500hd duramax with the Allison has got to have one of the highest costs to drive per mile of any vehicle on the road short of a MACK truck and you commute in it just cuz you can. Something don’t add up. A chainsaw to you should be little more than a tank of fuel and an oil change.

Luckily I dont have to commute into Boston, my office is 7 miles from my house, north and west of the city. However, believe it or not, speaking strictly from a gas/oil standpoint, the cost per mile is no different than my 1/2 ton Silverado or Tahoe cost. This discussion however is likely worthy of a thread on its own.

As far as the cost of a chainsaw goes, I set the budget where I think I should be able to get a very solid, high quality tool that will last many many years. Just because I could spend more, doesnt mean I am willing to.

you got to watch these guys on here --they have you building a nitro burning , ported and polished 99cc and full blue-print mill just to whack down a few pine saplings--LOL

As I am sure you can tell from this thread, I am not immune to that type of pressure! LOL

''
:laugh::laugh:

That's sig material.

I wish the OP were closer so he could run my 562. His decision would be made in 5 minutes.

He could run a 562 for sure at Chapel's in NH I'm sure they'll have one he could test run -- should call 'em and get prices on 550, 555, and 562. Wonder if they stock the 555, thinking that wouldn't be quite as common.

I'm amazed I found this by pure chance -- video of a visit to Ashokan Turf and Timber (Bob who is spike60 on this forum) where they compare 562, 555, 455, and Jonsored saws... you should check it out!

Bob was at the Upstate GTG hosted by Jeremy Miller (Adirondackstihl on here) and I met him briefly there. I visited that GTG -- really cool to see and hear ported saws and various collector stuff running.
Video was from 2013 -- not sure how the prices would compare to today. Looks like Bob is very competitive on prices. Maybe consider ordering a saw from Bob?

I'm amazed I found this by pure chance -- video of a visit to Ashokan Turf and Timber (Bob who is spike60 on this forum) where they compare 562, 555, 455, and Jonsored saws... you should check it out!

Bob was at the Upstate GTG hosted by Jeremy Miller (Adirondackstihl on here) and I met him briefly there. I visited that GTG -- really cool to see and hear ported saws and various collector stuff running.
Video was from 2013 -- not sure how the prices would compare to today. Looks like Bob is very competitive on prices. Maybe consider ordering a saw from Bob?

Bob was recommended earlier in the thread as well and I did get a price from him in a 550 that was very competitive and I asked him yesterday for a price on a 562. I plan to call Chapel's as well.

Time to watch a video!

If I were considering a 562, I'd probably go with the Jonsered 2260. The only version of the 560xp available in the U.S. Same power, less weight.

I can't deal with the outboard clutches on huskys my self. Give me a stihl 262

Well, the decision is in. I called Spike60 and chatted for a bit, I went with the 550XP and 18" bar. Bob was super helpful and a great guy. Thank you all again for your input and advice. I will circle back once I spend some time cutting!

Well, the decision is in. I called Spike60 and chatted for a bit, I went with the 550XP and 18" bar. Bob was super helpful and a great guy. Thank you all again for your input and advice. I will circle back once I spend some time cutting!
You'll be very happy with the 550. I've always been a Stihl guy but I bought a husqvarna mower and it came with a 550. I really like this little saw. Now I understand the handling and balance thing saw troll is always talking about!

You'll be very happy with the 550. I've always been a Stihl guy but I bought a husqvarna mower and it came with a 550. I really like this little saw. Now I understand the handling and balance thing saw troll is always talking about!

The more I thought about it and talked to you guys, and Spike60, the more I realized most of my cutting is going to be limbing and bucking downed trees which are generally going to be less than 15" to clear a trail, limbing standing trees to cut a path, and cutting up firewood. I am comfortable the 550 will handle those duties with ease. Plus, it puts me on the path to a two saw plan! :happybanana:

Hey brtt485 congrats on the new saw!
I'm glad you went with a reputable pro saw from probably the best dealer around these parts from what I hear.

Remember -- pictures or it didn't happen.

Randy (Mastermind) is booking work for July -- he's really busy and really popular on here.
He has my 1991 262XP (my avatar picture) and I can't wait for it to be completed.

If you get another saw down the road for a 2 saw plan you probably don't need Randy to do anything. A 372 for bigger stuff and 550 would be a great combination.
Maybe by the time you consider a 372 Husky will have the infamous 5 series replacement for the 372 out and available. Given my experience with 372 X-torq saw I have now I would not think twice about another one even if the replacement was out. Still my all time favorite saw to run... that might change though then the 262 comes back!

Best of luck!

Back