Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh, so they didn't break while running it. Totally different story in repair. :) Lol. Def worth fixing/refreshing. I think the Greek has some caber's on fleabay. There may be some others chiming in here shortly. That cylinder and piston should clean up nicely...

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I thought the same about the piston and cylinder. Rings are available on ebay.

Thatwould be great if I only need rings and a gasket , you guys think just clean that piston and cylinder with some lite paper
Don't even need the base gasket. Take that out and put some Honda bond type sealant in there and your good. Will take some of that big squish gap down some.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I am thinking have a friend sand blast the very dirty exhuast pieces and paint with something like grill paint

I tend not to cut in the really cold weather because I'd rather sit in front of the wood stove. But, I am curious if anyone has had issues with the flocked filters on the 3400 and cutting in fairly cold weather. Nylon and brass filters are likely better suited I gather. A compromise nonetheless. That being said, I am going to be hard pressed not to hit the hills on occasion. No winter/summer shutter and am wondering if the flocked setup on the 3400 tends to frost up. I torched off the flocking on a trashed filter and re screened with silk screen fabric. It does let through the fine particulate but may be better suited to have on hand? Thoughts/experience?

I tend not to cut in the really cold weather because I'd rather sit in front of the wood stove. But, I am curious if anyone has had issues with the flocked filters on the 3400 and cutting in fairly cold weather. Nylon and brass filters are likely better suited I gather. A compromise nonetheless. That being said, I am going to be hard pressed not to hit the hills on occasion. No winter/summer shutter and am wondering if the flocked setup on the 3400 tends to frost up. I torched off the flocking on a trashed filter and re screened with silk screen fabric. It does let through the fine particulate but may be better suited to have on hand? Thoughts/experience?

I know the 4000s have a plug you can remove for cold weather. Thought the 3400s did as well?

The only comment I can make for the 3400 is that the air is pulled through a comb in the front of the AF cover. That air comes from the fan and exits at the spark plug. hole into the air filter cover. That air may be warmed as it does pass by the cylinder to some extent.
Not so for the 3700 cover which has no comb and pulls all the air from the outside.

Yes we have plug in block heaters for the east.

I hate to rain on your parade but it's +7 deg C here and +1 overnight. You are in ice and snow temps now. I think the coldest it's been overnight here is -4 C so far. I guess that would be a grand WTF.
Don't ask around the 2nd week of January.

Wow, that's a lot of gunk on the top of that piston. What causes that? My pistons are much cleaner than that.

Lots of folks have no option but to run gas with ethanol in it. Just be sure to dump the fuel and run the saw dry. I usually leave the gas cap off for a day in the garage to let the little bit of fuel left in the tank flash off.

This may help
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MD

I've seen that site. One of the listings is actually a store that sells bottled race gas I believe. I think I'll run ethanol fuel and fill up all my gas powered engines with non ethanol at the start of winter.

My dad always kept his 3400 bow saw in the house night before he went out cutting never had any cold weather issues except ocosional hard to start

I've cut with a 3400 when it was so cold beagle hounds were carrying battery cables just to jump a rabbit.
The saw didn't have any problem whatsoever!

Mike

LOL, I agree with statement 100%!! But, I'm just going by PAST experience, cause when its that cold, this old guy anin't out cutting nothing any more. :cold:

Gregg,

Back