Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not a bad idea to check the run out of the crankshaft before re-using it. After a catastrophic failure like that, it could be "out". The easiest way to check it would be to check runout of the pto side and flywheel side before disassembling it. Basically using the crankcase as your V blocks.

Yes I had the same thought about the crank! Good idea about checking it before disassembling!

283efd582efda0d823349112c6785f5f.jpg

Does anyone know if I can swap out an flywheel and coil from a Poulan 1800 or 2000 and convert this to electronic ignition?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

283efd582efda0d823349112c6785f5f.jpg

Does anyone know if I can swap out an flywheel and coil from a Poulan 1800 or 2000 and convert this to electronic ignition?
Thanks

I am not the expert on those but I thought all the micros where electronic. I know the later s25da where electronic and they predate the micros. Wait for one of the experts to speak up before taking my word though.

Don't think so but ModifiedMark will know for sure. Nothing wrong with points may just need cleaning.

I feel like I have a bazillion of these little too handle Poulans but that one looks near mint. I need another one like I need a hole in my head.

Now that changes things, I may not bother with it then. I haven't even messaged the guy yet. The saw has been for sale for a while but I haven't been in this area to be interested

That isnt the saw being sold. Thats for sure. ;)

Notice the bench top covering. That is my heated bench cover. ;)

CopyofXXV001.jpg

CopyofXXV002.jpg

So, you saling your saw

Steve

That saw in pic is already in a collectors stash. Traded it to them as I dont collect. But do enjoy finding saws folks want.
Just keep a few dozen or so around for my use and parts.

Found this type 3 60cc 3450 couple days ago and just closed the deal on it.

pt3ab.jpg pt3aa.jpg

Hey @Modifiedmark
Am I correct in assuming 365 parts will work only they are yellow?

You are correct.

Reason I asked about how you removed the flywheel was because I have seen several times in service manuals where they specifically warn against useing a steel hammer. They say to use a brass hammer

View attachment 551526 Looks like my 3000 cylinder needs a little welding work. Saw a video where the Chainsaw guy welded a similar cylinder. Question is does the cost justify it for a 3000 cylinder.

Bob, see if you got any race engine shops in your area where they have a good tig welder who does a lot of aluminum heads and blocks.

Thats what I ended up doing on that Poulan 81 case I just had done. Cost me $20

You could keep the cost down by grinding it down, drilling and retapping yourself. Also do all the get ready cleanup a head of time. Do not do the final cleaning with brake cleaner if its going to be tig welded as when combined with heat and Argon it can form a deadly toxic gas.

I am not the expert on those but I thought all the micros where electronic. I know the later s25da where electronic and they predate the micros. Wait for one of the experts to speak up before taking my word though.

Early Micro saws were point ign. If I remember right, you cannot just swap a electonic flywheel and ign module to a Micro point saw as the cylinder mounting is different.

If the coil is good you can fire it with a electronic chip like a Atom module, or I think I have several NOS point and condensors for them.

You are correct.

Reason I asked about how you removed the flywheel was because I have seen several times in service manuals where they specifically warn against useing a steel hammer. They say to use a brass hammer

Brass hammer is not a dumb idea. I would think that is to reduce the risk of buggering the end of the crankshaft.

Back