Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks bad, can even see the finger imprints on the top handle, glad you got only a nick on the finger, something just don't seem right. If you had been cutting and had a kick back and brake had engaged would that had happened also? Possible a hair line cracked flywheel to me.

Steve

All I know is the chain came off just before all heck broke loose. Maybe the fly wheel had issues but it looks like a fresh brake.
When you removed the flywheel earlier, did you hit it with a steel hammer?

Sorry to see your bad luck there. I'll see what parts I have here, but I know I have. No case or top cover. I have a recoil cover, but it's yellow.

When you removed the flywheel earlier, did you hit it with a steel hammer?

Sorry to see your bad luck there. I'll see what parts I have here, but I know I have. No case or top cover. I have a recoil cover, but it's yellow.

Hello Mark
I struck the end of the shaft with a solid strike like I've done many times before.

Here are some picks of the bar and the flywheel.
IMG_20170116_074207478.jpg
IMG_20170116_074212423.jpg
IMG_20170116_074250301.jpg
IMG_20170116_074305863.jpg
I was think about what @Acornhill suggested about the chain brake being engaged. Afterwards when I removed the chainbrake I know I just took it off, I did not have to disengage the brake. So that wasn't it.

Main housing, flywheel, recoil, top cover for sure.
Maybe not a bad idea to check the run out of the crankshaft before re-using it. After a catastrophic failure like that, it could be "out". The easiest way to check it would be to check runout of the pto side and flywheel side before disassembling it. Basically using the crankcase as your V blocks.

Back