346XP or keep the 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the 346 and was'nt all that impressed unlike some on here. I like the 026/260 better, lighter and more nimble IMO and the speed difference is not that noticeable to me either. I would keep the 026.
If your looking for 2-3 tenths in a cut and are just anxious to spend $500 on a few tenths and more weight go ahead, it's your wallet. :greenchainsaw:

Likewise.
I've run the 2 differant 346's plenty of hours in the past and present. An 026 still feels better in my hands cutting wood. Haven't noticed an power advantage for the most part because they feel close and I would say the 026 pulls a little better at low rpm. I do maintain my 026's better then the 346's I have run. Seems like their owners are over confident in the air filtering system and usually they are a bit clogged when it comes time for me to use them. The filter needs cleaned less often but still needs done, if you compare vibration with 2 saws used the same amount of time,the 346 is less but a well maintained o26 av isn't bad,throttle response is snappy out of the cut compared to the 026. But none of that is so great it makes an well maintained 026 obsolete. When I go back to my 026's after a day with the 346 it feels better to me, mostly the manueverability and the handlebar position fits me better. If your comparing vibes to a well used 026 it usually vibrates worse then a newer 1 so that isn't a fair comparison.
Before I came here I replaced an 034 with a new Husky 55 which let me down and I was very sorry for letting loose of th 034. I had run an 371 or 372 a bit and after all the hype I read here of the 372 I bought a used 1 and it let me down too.
With out a good servicing dealer close by, I think your risking being chainsaw handicapped if you sell your 026 to get the 346. If you want to cut more wood in less time I would go bigger then 50 cc. If you cut quite a bit of wood, 2 saws is a major improvement in your arsenal.

I had a Stihl 024 and 026 for many years. Actually the 024 troubled by much less than the 026.. .
Here are my two cents:

- The 346 has more power.
- -"- makes it possible to run 3/8 although I don't do it.
- The 346 has faster acceleration.
- The 346 has 100 times better air filtration system
- The 346 has much better AV system.
- The 346 is much more manouverable for limbing due to the slim saw body.
- The 346 consumes less fuel (my feeling)
- The 346 has better fuel caps. Often had gas and oil leakage on the 026.
- The 346 has more solid handles. (2 broken handles on the 026, never on the 346)
- The 346 idles better (The 026 is more sensitive on the carb setting and you have much
more variations due to the poor air filtration)

-The 026 will stay better in place in the back of your truck due to it's wider saw body and flat bottom.
- The 026 has slightly better chain tensioner I think. (On the Husky the chain tightens more when
you tighten the bolts)
- On the 026 it's easier to see how much gas you have left.
- Inboard clutch.
- The 026 is a tad lighter.

Worth getting a 346 ? Of course! It's a much better saw. No wonder, the 026 is 20 years older.

Last edited:
Who Cares??????

Yes, the 346 has better anti-vibe. But ITS A 50cc SAW. Who cares. Yea, for a 80cc saw lighter would be better, and less vibe would be nicer, but ITS A 50cc SAW.

Older guys like me who happen to have Arthritis. And I cut over half my wood with A 50CC SAW!!!!

Al :dizzy:

Here's a thought. Up in this neck of the woods they are advertising a Husky national demo promotion. Stop down to your nearest Husky dealer and take one out for a spin. I personally traded my 260pro for a NE 346xp. Largely due to some poor starting/idleing issues with the 260. I can truthfully say that I couldn't be happier. The 346 is a superior handling saw. Period! Here's a hint though......Throw a RSC chain on it and you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

What size and type of wood are you doing? The 026 with an easy muffler mod is no slouch. If most of your wood is < 16" and you don't cut for a living I would keep the 026.

I run 3/8 16'' on my 260 and it pulls it just fine. I have not even modded the muffler yet but it won't be long.

As for the 346, I think it is way over hyped on here.

I think the key to any fair comparison of these two saws is that they are both set up properly set up and tuned, therefore giving a clear picture of the best qulities of both. My 346XP NE was way rich from the factory, down around 11,500 and fouling the plug. After a muffler mod and leaning it out to 13,900 it is a stout little limbing saw that will pull 3/8 full with no problem. I have ran my brothers 260 Pro and it is a nice lightweight saw, just underpowered compared to the more modern 346XP NE and 5100S. I would be willing to bet that the 346XP Ne you ran that wasn't impressive wasn't broken in yet or was set way too rich. Also, a quick and easy fix fo the falling over problem is to put a 359/357 bucking spike on the 346XP NE. Mine doesn't fall over at all anymore. The 346XP NE is a superb saw and the class of the 50cc class, all the accolades and fuss is well deserved in my opinion.

Scott

Last edited:
I own a 346xp and LOVE it! I have never run a 026 though. My opinion, If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you like it, don't try to improve it. Sometimes I need to listen to my own advice!:dizzy:

Last edited:
Unless your ms260 is giving you some problems, why up grade?? Run it till it blows, pop a new piston and ring in it and run it some more. Moneys tight. Squeeze that cream sickle until the eagle grins. I would not ditch a perfectly usable saw unless it was no longer comfortable/able for me to run or I could no longer get parts for it. Just my two cents.

The 026 is fine for what you're doing, plus it will outlast the 346 2 decades later and is worth more on a resale. A muffler mod is in order though, as is a fully adj.carb.
Gypo

The 026 is a fine little saw. But...performance isn't any where close to a 346, at least one with a muffler mod. I never ran mine before modding the muffler. If you think the performance is similiar, then there was something wrong with the 346 you was running:) Even the OE 346 walks all over a 026/260.

No, these saws weren't setup 100% identical. But it will give you a real good idea of the difference in performance. None of these saws are ported, all wearing round ground chain. The 026 and NE 346 are muffler modded. The 5100 is not, but is said to not gain much from a MM. That's not my point here though. Just trying to take the words out of the nay sayers mouths before they open them. Take it for what it is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wESfuvkGFqU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wESfuvkGFqU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The 026 is fine for what you're doing, plus it will outlast the 346 2 decades later and is worth more on a resale. A muffler mod is in order though, as is a fully adj.carb.
Gypo

I hate to admit it but you are probably right. I hope the 346 that I ordered will last at least one decade more, and I'll glady sacrifice one decade for the fun, rpm and power of the husky, especially for a limbing saw. Resale value on a Stihl is indeed much better, especially on this side of the pond.

Gypo

Hi John ....Word on the street is that the 346NE is getting a new lower rpm coil as an update ...........Guess we will just have to wait and see ....That came from a Husky rep that I got to talk to this past Fri.........

Time will tell.......When I asked what rpm the new coil would be he only would say a bit lower .........

Steve

BTW just sold a 026 pro from 2001 for 375.00 and two 346 NE's one was nice for 350.00 and other was looking well used for 300.00 they were 2008 model saws.................

Last edited:
Gypo

That will hardly be the case, rather the other way around based on my experiences. At least when I compared the quality of the 026 and the 262XP which I ran much side by side for a long time. And that was at a time when Stihl didn't use Chicom cylinders for that saw ..

Quiz: What will last longer ? A Mahle cyl breathing gas and clean air or a Chicom cylinder breathing gas, air and saw dust ? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Gypo

Note that this post was made by a man that earns his living running a chainsaw.

Back