346xp vs ps-5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W/out a doubt. Don't even question it. The 361 is a better saw all around than the piddly little husky or the 5100... And I have a 5100 and love it and have had no bad luck at all with it over about 100 cords of firewood. 361 should be considered in a different class. .5hp doesn't seem like much, but it is wayyy more than you think... 361 all day!!!! Kills me to say it, but after running a couple, I'd like one also. Andddd, you don't have to run that little 325 sissy chain and bars on it like the 346xp. LMAO... If your not into the Stihl, go 5100 way. That way you'll have bigger bar and chain, more durable for that much wood every year... hmph! Husky? Ask'em why they don't run 3/8 chain on them??? Gutless wonders unless your cutting brush... Exactly who cuts 6" trees all the time where the 346 shines???

:cheers:

why do stihl supply Nth America with .050 gauge and Australia with .063 gauge on there saws???

point is just because thats what a manufacture supplies doesnt mean its optimal for the end user....nor does it really reflect the saws performance.

seems to me 3/8's is very popular in Nth America, i guess because most of the wood is soft and responds well to chip clearence and the rate of cut. Over here there has been good response to .325 on our hard woods...

and you wont see too many guys running skip tooh or even semi skip here.

Serg

There are two burnt up NE346's in my area and I heard a about a few more saws from that brand ......:cry::cry:

Im still waiting for some credible proof about that thread......Seems that 50+ saws was BS ......Pot stirring .........:cheers::cheers:

I bet a 100 bucks that those saws have limited coils and removed limiter caps or there was no oil in the mix. Otherwise you will never have a seizure on that saw, never ever.

W/out a doubt. Don't even question it. The 361 is a better saw all around than the piddly little husky or the 5100... And I have a 5100 and love it and have had no bad luck at all with it over about 100 cords of firewood. 361 should be considered in a different class. .5hp doesn't seem like much, but it is wayyy more than you think... 361 all day!!!! Kills me to say it, but after running a couple, I'd like one also. Andddd, you don't have to run that little 325 sissy chain and bars on it like the 346xp. LMAO... If your not into the Stihl, go 5100 way. That way you'll have bigger bar and chain, more durable for that much wood every year... hmph! Husky? Ask'em why they don't run 3/8 chain on them??? Gutless wonders unless your cutting brush... Exactly who cuts 6" trees all the time where the 346 shines???

:cheers:

Well Cisco, I can swear I can do this wood much faster with a 346 with 325 than you with a 361 and 3/8.
attachment.php

The 346 is built for scandinavian forestry. In the year 2009, there is only one thing that you occassinally do with a chainsaw in Sweden,and that is thinning of 4-10 inch softwood (there are forest owners who don't even have a chainsaw) EVERYTHING before is done with a clearing saw and everything after is done with a harvester. No saw on this planet is as good as the 346XP for softwood thinning.

Now I must question your sharpening skills .. 0,325 being gutless unless cutting brush ?? humm. I think you should learn how to sharpen a chain. The 0,325 chain has more cutters for the same bar length, is available as semi- or full chisel, makes a more narrow cut which means less hp needed which means rpm stays up in the cut. I admit the 3/8 is more durable and easier to file with 5/16. But on this type of pine, limbing is 75% of the work. Now with the 0,325 being superiour for limbing and the 3/8 being faster for bucking, I prefer 0,325 on a 50cc.

The 361 is an incredible allround saw but it will never be a 346 when thinning or a 372 when bucking. I this case (firewood) I think the 361 would be a good option. Or even 70cc.

Air Filtration

I own a Dolmar 5100 and cut 90% dead oak and elm. I wouldn't buy another 5100 because of the amount of dust getting past the filter. I clean the filter after every use. JMHO

:greenchainsaw:

There is also a local stihl dealer while i know very little about there line up i can get a ms 260 for 638.00 or a ms 361 for 761.00 both on sale right now.
I only ever used one stihl an 032 about ten years or so ago and i hated that pig I know the 361 is a bigger saw but its on sale right now for 109.00 less than the 346xp. How do these two stack up speed and weight wise keeping in mind the biggest thing i'll ever cut will be 14 or 15 inch softwood.

Enuff said. Neither the 346 or 5100 will outcut the 361 in any size wood. Better all purpose saw than both and the weight differance isn't all that much. The handling issues of all three saws are close. In fact even with the extra weight the 361 still handles alot better than the 5100. The 346 would be the best handling saw of the three but for all purpose duty the 361 is the better saw. The price differance there makes the 361 the clear choice hands down..

Under 10" wood = 346XP. Over 10" = MS361. Best two saws in class IMHO.

Stock 346XP
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PA4_yco1JIA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PA4_yco1JIA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Several ported saws including MS260 and 346XP
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eYrR0cAHElk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eYrR0cAHElk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ported MS361
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qhxg8bkQtvs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qhxg8bkQtvs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a ported MS361 Big Bore
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVp1ART2bYc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVp1ART2bYc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just trying to make your decision a little more difficult:)

Yip

which means less hp needed which means rpm stays up in the cut.

I think you just said it all right there...

:clap:

.325= thinner bar, thinner chain. More susceptible to pinch and bends... But if your only cutting 6" trees I guess the 346 is a fine saw...

Last edited:
Dust

I own a Dolmar 5100 and cut 90% dead oak and elm. I wouldn't buy another 5100 because of the amount of dust getting past the filter. I clean the filter after every use. JMHO

:greenchainsaw:

Soooo, have you looked at your P/C to see if there's any scoring? When I heard about this from everyone, even though I've never had a problem, I started using a small amt of silicone on the bottom of the filter and I've yet to see a spec of dust inside the carb... Try that dude. Not alot or you won't get it off...

:cheers: eh?

What i'm looking for is the best all around 50cc saw. the reason for the 50cc saw is i have a buggered back and not really sure if i can hang onto anything larger for very long.

Right there is a great reason to at least go handle the 361. I would bet the difference in speed would more than make up for the weight difference.

If I had a bad back, I would not even consider a 361 for cutting up thousands of pecker poles. It is great saw, but smaller is better for his application, he's even said as much.

My choice would be the 346, but with a stihl dealer in town, and with even lighter weight and great reliability, I'd look at the 260 vs the 346.

Enuff said. Neither the 346 or 5100 will outcut the 361 in any size wood. Better all purpose saw than both and the weight differance isn't all that much. The handling issues of all three saws are close. In fact even with the extra weight the 361 still handles alot better than the 5100. The 346 would be the best handling saw of the three but for all purpose duty the 361 is the better saw. The price differance there makes the 361 the clear choice hands down..

:agree2: - except for the "alot" part of it - but better, yes!

Last edited:
5100's are nice for the price but alot, and I do mean alot of them have had spun bearings and met an untimely demise. I would stick with the 346xp NE, proven performance and unprecedented reliablity. Oh and 361's are bigger and more powerful, almost like having a 372XP, but not quite. :)

Scott

Last edited:
5100's a nice for the price but alot, and I do mean alot of them have had spun bearings and met an untimely demise. I would stick with the 346xp NE, proven performance and unprecedented reliablity. Oh and 361's are bigger and more powerful, almost like having a 372XP, but not quite. :)

Scott

Where do you get your info? I haven't heard of any problems with spun bearings in the PS5100's.

5100's a nice for the price but alot, and I do mean alot of them have had spun bearings and met an untimely demise. I would stick with the 346xp NE, proven performance and unprecedented reliablity. Oh and 361's are bigger and more powerful, almost like having a 372XP, but not quite. :)

Scott

BS, you can add all the failed 346s and 5100s in a box and have the same number of each brand.

Now the proven performance and reliability go to the 260, HANDS DOWN.:bowdown::bowdown:

The search function is your friend. You will have to type in 5100, Dolmar, or bearings though.

Scott

MS260's are nice, until you run a modern saw with adequate power. Then they are seriously underwhelming.

Scott

MS260's are nice, until you run a modern saw with adequate power. Then they are seriously underwhelming.

Scott

I will agree they lack a little power stock but their track record hasn't been equaled. Even though mine are modded, I'll trade a little speed for a saw I know will outlast me.

Back