357XP: Where Does It Fit In Between The 346XP and 385XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 346 and a 372. The way I see it, the 346 takes care of everything from 1 inch up to 16 inches(and it does it with authority). From there my 372 (385 in your case) takes on the "big stuff". Yeah the 346 is only a 50cc saw but it's such a capable saw. It is very impressive and my favorite as well. It reminds me of the old children's book, The little engine that could!!!

I want to thank everyone for all of your input, advice, experience, and time that you took helping me with this. This may sound goofy, or like a real uneducated decision, but I think i've decided to get both (or at least the 346 and something else). My mind has swayed back to the 346 again, the majority who own it have better things to say about it than anything else for the job it does. I think it fits the bill for the majority of what i'm looking for. On the second hand, some of you who have used the 357xp or saws in its class have good things to say about it too. It has sparked some interest in me. I would like to have something in its size as a do-all saw (within reason). And honestly, I would like to try both and own both. I think what I will do is start out with the 346xp, probably new. I'd like to get it fixed up as well, but that blows the idea of a warranty i'm assuming. So I think i'm going to get one new, then hunt down for the other one used. Maybe not at the same time, but at least that's my intentions. What do you guys think? :)

I can't thank you enough for adding your input to this. I really do appreciate it! :clap:

From the 11th hour Peanut Gallery,

I have both. No complaints with either, very pleased on all accounts. That said if you're going to pull the trigger on only one right now go for the 357XP. It will do anything the 346XP will but the reverse is not true. Both spool up very fast, and are compact for limbing applications.

However, when you get into some decent 18 inch or so wood the 357XP will not only have more power to get though it faster, but if you're lazy like me and noodle the rounds before loading, from experience the 357XP will smoke the 346XP in that application.

In short if I was to get rid of one, not that I have any intentions to that end, it would be the 346XP. The little extra weight of the 357XP is more than compensated for in the better balance with a larger bar and chain, and the additional power.

Remember, it's all about making chips and how comfortable you are with your tools, not what a spec sheet tells you you should like.

Take Care

Here's my take on it.

For it's class the 357 is like having sex with a 40 year old woman. It's nice and puts a smile on your face.

For it's class the 346 is like having sex with two 20 year olds. Enough said.

Just my 2 cents.......

I want to thank everyone for all of your input, advice, experience, and time that you took helping me with this. This may sound goofy, or like a real uneducated decision, but I think i've decided to get both (or at least the 346 and something else). My mind has swayed back to the 346 again, the majority who own it have better things to say about it than anything else for the job it does. I think it fits the bill for the majority of what i'm looking for. On the second hand, some of you who have used the 357xp or saws in its class have good things to say about it too. It has sparked some interest in me. I would like to have something in its size as a do-all saw (within reason). And honestly, I would like to try both and own both. I think what I will do is start out with the 346xp, probably new. I'd like to get it fixed up as well, but that blows the idea of a warranty i'm assuming. So I think i'm going to get one new, then hunt down for the other one used. Maybe not at the same time, but at least that's my intentions. What do you guys think? :)

I can't thank you enough for adding your input to this. I really do appreciate it! :clap:

I recognize this type of thought train, it's..it's CAD!!! haha:chainsaw:
:greenchainsaw::chainsawguy:

From the 11th hour Peanut Gallery,

I have both. No complaints with either, very pleased on all accounts. That said if you're going to pull the trigger on only one right now go for the 357XP. It will do anything the 346XP will but the reverse is not true. Both spool up very fast, and are compact for limbing applications.

However, when you get into some decent 18 inch or so wood the 357XP will not only have more power to get though it faster, but if you're lazy like me and noodle the rounds before loading, from experience the 357XP will smoke the 346XP in that application.

In short if I was to get rid of one, not that I have any intentions to that end, it would be the 346XP. The little extra weight of the 357XP is more than compensated for in the better balance with a larger bar and chain, and the additional power.

Remember, it's all about making chips and how comfortable you are with your tools, not what a spec sheet tells you you should like.

Take Care

Thank you.

I'm afraid what you say might be true. I really am. ;)

I recognize this type of thought train, it's..it's CAD!!! haha:chainsaw:
:greenchainsaw::chainsawguy:

It is!!!! :cheers:

And you know the stupid thing about all of this, it seems i'd rather put myself through splitting all the ash by hand with a maul then not get a couple fun saws. HAHAHA!

I was just making an analogy. And to set the facts straight I think they were a little later into their 20's lol...

I have a EHP359 and this weekend I went out to the boondocks to cut firewood and I took the stock 346 over the ported 359. The ported 359 has some major tea bags for a 59cc saw. The 346 just feels like part of me when I'm using it. If I'm standing in brush cutting limbs, I'd much rather have my 346 over the Ehp359. The 346 is just a pimped out 50cc saw.

Your comparing a 346 and 357. My 359 will blow the doors off the 357. I think you would be happier with the 346. Then take the 200 to 250 you save over the 357 and get that little bad boy ported. Ding Ding Ding.......... Two 20's lol.....

I was just making an analogy. And to set the facts straight I think they were a little later into their 20's lol...

I have a EHP359 and this weekend I went out to the boondocks to cut firewood and I took the stock 346 over the ported 359. The ported 359 has some major tea bags for a 59cc saw. The 346 just feels like part of me when I'm using it. If I'm standing in brush cutting limbs, I'd much rather have my 346 over the Ehp359. The 346 is just a pimped out 50cc saw.

Your comparing a 346 and 357. My 359 will blow the doors off the 357. I think you would be happier with the 346. Then take the 200 to 250 you save over the 357 and get that little bad boy ported. Ding Ding Ding.......... Two 20's lol.....

all stories get better in the retellin' :cheers:

HAHAHA, I get it, two for one! :D

But I don't think much of two 20's with orange hair! :monkey:

Latest posts

Back