880/084 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
What are the differences between the 880/088 and the 084 (power, ergonomics, details) ? I like the idea of the manual backup oiler on the 084. Any info would be great.

P.S. doe the 084 have a cast muffler also? It's been a while since I have seen one and don't remember.

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
attachment.php

Hoss here is a 084 muffler picture...

rupedoggy

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have seen several people on this site refer to the 084 as having a manual oiler. It does not. It does have a lever you can push to get additional oil to the bar. A manual oiler works independently from the automatic oiler. The 084 just puts a longer stroke on the oil pump so if you are in a big/long cut you can get additional oil. Mike

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks O4 for the ipl's I appreciate it. By the way if you ever get tired of doing all that enviromental dammage with that big gas guzzlin, heavy 084 o yours you just let me know what you want for it and I guess I could take one for the team.:laugh:

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
the 088 has about 0.6hp more than the 084. All the "upgrades" are subtle... just an evolution.. except for the first couple of years of 088 - they took a step backwards with the exclusion of the steel support for the clutch-side bearing... Soon came back though...

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
There's good reasons why the 088's are limited in rpm... Way too easy to overspeed them in anything but big wood. Of course, if you are racing and not really worried about cutting anything but cookies, then....

I have some nice pics of overspeed cranks...

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Does this mean that the 084 is running dangerously fast at its max rpm?(reliability issues?) I am not racing. It just suprised me that the older 084 would have a higher max.

Latest posts