Am I buying in between saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent saws. Put a 20" on the 365 and a 28" on the 385 and there's not much you can't cut. I knew a tree worker who ran a 365 for quite awhile with a 36" and always got the job done. Not the weapon of choice obviously but worked none the less, just made sure he carried a qt of bar oil to assist in lubing that big of a bar.

For me I think there perfect and yes I'm not one of those guys that needs the what the "Jone's" are running. I see alot of folks even saying just that, well if your buying "X" saw just spend a little more and get "Y" saw.

Yessirree, for just a little more than saw "X" you can get saw "Y". Then for only a little bit more there is saw "Z". Since you're already at saw "Z", why not got all out and get saw "Z+"?

Its entirely too easy to fall into this trap, especially when you start reading too many of these forums. Decide what saw(s) you want and can afford, then enjoy them and to heck with trying to impress your buddies. If you bought a quality saw, and you did, there is no reason that saw properly maintained won't give you many years of use. The money you saved will go towards whatever new saws are out in 10-15 years time, which will most likely be better yet.

They are blowing smoke up your azz, yea, maybe the 372 and 390 might be a little bigger displacement and their favorite saws because "they" run them. But you have plenty of saw to cut the amount of firewood that you are cutting. The 365 and 385 are two I'd cut with any day and be damn happy to do it. We'll cut over 400 cord and not use any bigger saws, if fact we use more 70cc and 50cc saws than anything.
It's nothing more than I've got this and it's better. I've got a couple of guys working for us that can take those two saws and cut more wood than the "experts" can load in a day. If you feel the need for speed send the 365 to Brad Snelling and spend 300.00 of so on the saw and put a 55 gal drum of wup azz on their stock 372's. Talk sweet to him and he might be able to find you a good used 372 cylinder and port it give their stock 390's a scare for a little more, I have no idea what he charges, but you can get 35/40 percent gains out of a strong woods port. You really have more than enough saw for fire wooding, even high production fire wood cutting, good lord, I can't image what they are cutting. You own great saws, ignore them.

The main thing is "do you like the saws" and "do they do what you need them to do" those are the only thing you should worry about.

That's it. Saws for me are for fun. Burning wood in the fireplace is an excuse to cut wood. :) I enjoy the heck out of saws. Was getting bored with my 5200's and 4200's. Was intrigued by 441 m-tronic, so got one. Can argue pluses and minuses all day long. 372xp is quite a bit lighter and almost as much power. 390 xp only slightly heavier and will spank it. But 441 runs so nice and starts so nice, also waking up as it breaks in. I really enjoy it with the 28" light bar. Great balance and cuts great. As long as you enjoy the saws, that is all that matters.

Larry

Oh belive me guys I'm quite happy with bolth and there more than enough saw for what I'm doing ( weekend wood warrior:msp_tongue:).
Like I was saying it was during one of the strom clean up's, a few guys commented that their the same size saws but lower power or displacement. I still kept up with them and they never skipped a beat.

Realy I don't care it just was somthing that was on my mind, thanks guys.

Jason.

You seem to have friends that are a lot like a bunch of the people here.
They would be very glad to help you spend your money.
I've run several different saws of each of the models you have and they are GREAT saws!!!
Some people seem to need to have the biggest of what is available whether they need it or not.
Must be nice to have the kind of money it takes to be that way.
Run your saws, cut wood and stay warm, have fun and laugh all the way to the bank with the money you saved.

I go through the same garbage with my 6400 Dolmar.
Yes I know it can be upgraded to a 79cc but I really don't need another 7900 and the 6400 is a GREAT saw in its own right, just like the 365.

Tell the "could'a should'a" crowd to kick dirt!!!

Mike

And remember that your friend, who sounds the perfect 'first owner' of a saw, didn't offer you a 372/390 combo, so its a moot point.

If you bought the 372/390 combo off of some slack-arse who didnt know one end of a scrench from his pecker do you think you would be better off? Hell no.

Use 'em, enjoy 'em, or give 'em to Stumpy, he's got real problems to worry about. (and would be a great choice to 'wake' them up if you just cant help but modify).

Adam

I have two 365's, two 372,s and a BB which we use for our small firewood saws. You know, there does not seems to be as much difference between them as you would think. Often I forget which saw I am using. They are a really nice saw to use - hang on to that 365.

Al.

Trust me that 365 was my first real saw and I have a close conection with it. What I'm hearing and all ready knew there perfect saws for what I'm doing and give me plenty of room down the road to grow with them.
Trust me there not going anyware, I'm very happy with bolth.

Jason.

The 365 special is very close to the 372xp.

Old vs. Old = 4.5hp vs. 5.3hp
New vs. New = 4.9hp vs. 5.6hp

Fairly significant difference between the two. The sweet deal is that the new x-torq 365 can be turned into 5.6hp in about an hour :msp_thumbup:

mo power

Old vs. Old = 4.5hp vs. 5.3hp
New vs. New = 4.9hp vs. 5.6hp

Fairly significant difference between the two. The sweet deal is that the new x-torq 365 can be turned into 5.6hp in about an hour :msp_thumbup:

I want more power out of my 365 XT.
How do you remove the transfer ports?
Do I need new gaskets?
What is the easiest way to open the muffler up....doesn't have to be wiiiide open. I only cut wood for outdo
ors use and some friends.
I already removed the carb limiters and on my 3rd tank of gas.

I want more power out of my 365 XT.
How do you remove the transfer ports?
Do I need new gaskets?
What is the easiest way to open the muffler up....doesn't have to be wiiiide open. I only cut wood for outdo
ors use and some friends.
I already removed the carb limiters and on my 3rd tank of gas.

You have to unbolt the cylinder and raise it up to get to all four bolts on the transfer covers. You need a security torx bit to remove the covers, or drill a small dimple in a normal torx bit. Grind off the plate that sticks out on the transfer cover plate so it's smooth. Put them back on, you shouldn't need new gaskets. Tune the carb for the increased flow. Muffler can be drilled on the side and an extra deflector can be added. Easy peasy with minor skills and simple tools. But if you're worried about doing it wrong then you shouldn't attempt it as you can potentially do quite the damage to the saw.

ports

You have to unbolt the cylinder and raise it up to get to all four bolts on the transfer covers. You need a security torx bit to remove the covers, or drill a small dimple in a normal torx bit. Grind off the plate that sticks out on the transfer cover plate so it's smooth. Put them back on, you shouldn't need new gaskets. Tune the carb for the increased flow. Muffler can be drilled on the side and an extra deflector can be added. Easy peasy with minor skills and simple tools. But if you're worried about doing it wrong then you shouldn't attempt it as you can potentially do quite the damage to the saw.
Not worried about damage. I build helicopter wire harness for a living and have 3 CR500.
Just want as much info as pos. before working it.
Thanks,
Gene

Not worried about damage. I build helicopter wire harness for a living and have 3 CR500.
Just want as much info as pos. before working it.
Thanks,
Gene

In that case, I suspect it will be a rather simple task for you :msp_wink:

Not as close as it could have been, as the 365 has less efficient (narrower) transfers.

Yes we know that, but run both and you will see there is not that much lacking on the 365 specials part. If you are using bars over 24" you may cut a second or two faster with the 372, but saving 200.00 or so matters alot more to me. Same quality saw with a slightly smaller bore. Specs on paper can be very misleading. Even the new strato 365xt vs the 372xt aren't that far apart.

4.9hp vs. 5.6hp is significant on paper - 14%

Better than a novice port job and muff mod in most cases.

4.9hp vs. 5.6hp is significant on paper - 14%

Better than a novice port job and muff mod in most cases.

Like I said on paper, but in the wood it ain't much. Saw manufactures do play number games and the pro-nonpro variations of the same basic saws, a little smaller bore or slightly different porting ect. Most users could care less if the saw gets thru wood 1 second faster. A better file job can make as much or more improvement, heck my old MM 036 outcuts my friends 372xp most of the time, not because mine is more powerfull, but because of his choice of chain and filing skills.

One must assume that there will be no differences that you're talking about if the same person were to own one saw or the other - just the differences on paper. I would imagine you'd file both saws the same, tune them the same, maintain them the same, etc.

When you get into comparing saws owned by different people then it's anyones guess at that point.

Latest posts

Back