Axe question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First off, I know it is OT for chainsaw forum but the other one is Competition and is even further off.
Where do you guys buy your axes? For some reason I didn't like those in Lowes and Home depot very much, looks like poor quality to me. I need a medium size axe for splitting and a smaller one for general use and kindling. I don't need a $400 axe either. Thanks!

Husqvarna dealers sell what were the Wetterlings axes with handforged heads and hickory handles. They come in various sizes from hatchets to mauls. I think my local dealer wanted $75 for the maul and a bit less for the large splitting axe.

Stihl sells rebadged Oxhead brand axes, and not much difference in price with Husqvarna's offerings.

If you don't need handforged steel and hickory or ash, then Fiskars are the way to go. The Gerber branded axes are made by Fiskars. These have synthetic(unbreakable) handles and extremely sharp heads. I have both the chopping axe and splitting axe and am amazed at how well they work. I got mine on the 'net, but Gander Mountain sells 'em.

I looked high and low for a good quality axe. All the local hardware stores had china and mexico junk that they couldn't give to me. I finally found a supplier that sold Gransfor Burks, very high quality and pricey. You get what you pay for, so I went with a Gransfor large splitting axe. I don't have any complaints at all and would highly recommend one to anybody!!!:cheers:
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

Mike

For splitting I have heard nothing but good about the Fiskars, but have not used one yet.
I went to Lowes and got the True Temper 4 1/2# splitting maul. VERY happy with it for the $35ish I paid!
For an axe, I've always preffered a double bit, so I'm not much help.

I got a Fiskars spitter after reading up on here and i love it!!

:givebeer: :cheers:

Ebay

Ebay has plenty of good axe heads but you'll need to re-handle them. I've probably bought 30-40 axes on Ebay over the years. Jersey pattern is a good one for true chopping. An axe is only as good as its steel and that is only as good as its grind (see below).

More than you'll ever need as far as sharpening axes goes, but great background. Belt sanders rule when it comes to sharpening axes. Sharpen an axe like this guy and it'll be a surgical instrument:

http://blueandwhitecrew.org/resources/tips/sharpeningaxes.php

Bailey's has Snow & Nealley, I bought one and sent it back, I wasn't real impressed for the money.....just my opinion though.

Yeah, that's to bad. I haven't bought any thing from them a probably 15 yrs.

They used to hammer my mill saws and always had a bunch of stuff for sale in the shop. I bought a couple peaveys and two pickeroons real good stuff and their axes were good as well But they closed the saw shop and the foundry at the same time. Probably made in the far far far EAST now.:cry::mad:

S&n

Not to knock a fine old company, but S&N is just not making quality axes anymore. I watched a friend fold the edge of his S&L DB on a dry oak while my Ebay True Temper ate it up. The S&N had a 10 degree primary bevel and a 17.5 degree seconday, all polished. A polished edge will eat more wood. Note the reflection of the camera in the primary bevel; this is a hungry axe:

Ebay has plenty of good axe heads but you'll need to re-handle them. I've probably bought 30-40 axes on Ebay over the years. Jersey pattern is a good one for true chopping. An axe is only as good as its steel and that is only as good as its grind (see below).

More than you'll ever need as far as sharpening axes goes, but great background. Belt sanders rule when it comes to sharpening axes. Sharpen an axe like this guy and it'll be a surgical instrument:

http://blueandwhitecrew.org/resources/tips/sharpeningaxes.php

That is a great link!! Thanks, rep headed your way!!!
Mike

I looked high and low for a good quality axe. All the local hardware stores had china and mexico junk that they couldn't give to me. I finally found a supplier that sold Gransfor Burks, very high quality and pricey. You get what you pay for, so I went with a Gransfor large splitting axe. I don't have any complaints at all and would highly recommend one to anybody!!!:cheers:
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

:agree2: Nothing better.

Sorry - double post. System said "not responding" , so I hit the button again. D'oh!

Fiskars super splitter and splitting hatchet in my shed. Perfect combo for busting up big rounds and for splitting some quick kindling. I think I have about $70 in both and a Fiskars sharpener.

Scott

Grandpa always swore by (or at) Collins axes. I still use his, so they must be OK. I am sure they are out of business by now but you could probably find good examples on fleabay.

Thanks to all who responded! It turns out Jax Farm supposedly a dealer for Gransfors (which I didn't even know about), I may go check it out - an hour drive on the way to my hunting grounds. If not I will try one of the links here. Thanks!

Back