Axe question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all who responded! It turns out Jax Farm supposedly a dealer for Gransfors (which I didn't even know about), I may go check it out - an hour drive on the way to my hunting grounds. If not I will try one of the links here. Thanks!

be prepared for sticker shock with Gransfors Bruks

I was looking to buy a Fiskars locally when I came across a Granfor Burks listed on Denver Craigslist for $40. Needless to say, I quickly called the guy and bought it that day. They are very nice splitting axes.

I was looking to buy a Fiskars locally when I came across a Granfor Burks listed on Denver Craigslist for $40. Needless to say, I quickly called the guy and bought it that day. They are very nice splitting axes.

$40!!!!! Where does that line start?!?!?!?!:dizzy:

be prepared for sticker shock with Gransfors Bruks

Uh, I see! Well, maybe I should look at those from Madsens, I like the shape of the hunter's and rafting axes they show with a straight line from the top to the tip of the axe and handle curving down for a small whittling and kindling axe. Thanks!

I went through the same search a few years back. I was always told you needed a heavy maul with a long handle to split hardwoods. I found this axe at a local hardware store and gave it a shot. This is by far the best splitting axe I have ever used and I am a big believer in this axe.

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...ategoryId=10277&productId=10528&page=products

If I have logs too big to split with this, I put them to the side and rent a splitter when I have a accrued enough of them to make it worth my while. This doesn't happen very often, as this axe works extremely well.

I went through the same search a few years back. I was always told you needed a heavy maul with a long handle to split hardwoods.

I got the Fiskars Super splitting axe at Menard's for $40 a couple of months ago. Haven't used it yet. The handle length worries me a bit, I should probably set up a chopping block instead of splitting on the ground.

More than one AS member has hacked his foot or leg with a Fiskars, the short handle does require a bit of attention. It's almost impossible to hit your own foot with a 36" maul.

Grandpa always swore by (or at) Collins axes. I still use his, so they must be OK. I am sure they are out of business by now but you could probably find good examples on fleabay.

Made in Collinsville, Connecticut. 1826 thru 1966 when it closed it's doors.

Read all about the company here:
http://www.visitcollinsville.com/visitcollinsville_002.htm

For my search and rescue work I still use a Collins machete that is WWII surplus, I assume made for the Marines in the Pacific Theater. I have yet to find a more efficient way of traversing undergrowth.

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read. Grandpa’s prized axe was a Hudson bay Collins axe. It still has the original handle and leather sheath/belt loop. I have put it away for future generations and substituted a Snow and Nealley but it is nowhere near the same quality. For thick undergrowth/clearing/poison ive vines we keep a Woodsman Pal in the truck. It does a great job on just about everything. I found mine at a tag sale with a leather handle and a metal sheath. I believe it was also used as a WW2 survival tool. I think they are still made in the USA.

my 2 cents

I don't have a ton of time with all my splitting mauls but i have the 4 1/2 LBS SS fiskers, standard 8lb collins with fiberglass handle, 5 lbs splitting axe from home depot with side wedges to help with splitting, and an old 8lb maul with welded on pipe handle. it seems like they all have there certain advantages. The standard 8lb maul with welded in metal pipe will never break, but is not very ergonomics. Not being a very good aim i broke the fiberglass 8lb maul after a couple of cord, also it can tire you out after awhile. I am going to have to go against the grain with most of you guys on the Fiskers. I am not very impressed for the type of wood i use it on. I usually cut madrone mainly with a little oak. The short handle is dangerous. You need to be very continuous of what you are doing or you can really hurt yourself. Also i don't know if its the shape of the head or the stuff they treat it with to make it slick but on wet oak i have had the head of the axe bounce so hard of the round that it came close to hitting me in the head. On the other hand if all you split is straight grain soft wood you will probally be fine noting the above cautions. Pretty hard to overlook lifetime warranty as well. The Cheap 5 lb splitting axe from home depot is my favorite. Standard length handle with Axe handle grip. It can cut some pretty gnarly rounds and doesn't wear you out. As most of you know, never hit the back of your spitting axe with maul to help drive through the rounds. I cracked my axe doing this. thats all the input i have based off of what i used. Take care gents!

For thick undergrowth/clearing/poison ive vines we keep a Woodsman Pal in the truck. I believe it was also used as a WW2 survival tool. I think they are still made in the USA.

Right on both counts.

I found my WP hanging in the rafters of my father-in-law's single-car garage, along with a Civil War artillery-officer's saber! The saber had "Ames Mfg. Co., Chicopee, Mass." on the blade near the hilt. The same Ames Manufacturing that makes garden tools today!
Woodsmans Pal advertises today in outdoorsy magazines. Mine was a WWII surplus model that had an OD canvas sheath that matched ammo pouches and entrenching tool pouches that were worn on the pistol belts.

For all of the guy`s up here in the Maritime Provinces ,there was one axe the woodsmen owned or sought after, hand made in the Oxford forge here in N.S. . What was it called? I own a couple so lets see who gets it right!
Pioneerguy600

Here in Sweden you get 30year warranty for manufacturing faults of the head :)
the steel in wetterling's and Gränsfors axe's are the same from what i heard, they both get really sharp and are a joy to use :)

Gransfors Splitting Maul, never in my life have used such a fine tool, the feel is like nothing else and the way it splits hardwood is amazing. From what I can tell you cant go wrong with any gransfors bruks product!

For all of the guy`s up here in the Maritime Provinces ,there was one axe the woodsmen owned or sought after, hand made in the Oxford forge here in N.S. . What was it called? I own a couple so lets see who gets it right!

I can't even hazard a guess (and by that I mean I can't even seem to Google it...), but I'm curious to know.

Gotta axe a question here...

Now all this talk about axes and mauls has got me patrolling eBax again.

From the photos the Fiskars and the Gerbers look to be identical twins. Some of the ads say the Gerbers are made in Finland.

Are they really the same axe in a different color scheme?

Latest posts

Back