Axe question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now all this talk about axes and mauls has got me patrolling eBax again.

From the photos the Fiskars and the Gerbers look to be identical twins. Some of the ads say the Gerbers are made in Finland.

Are they really the same axe in a different color scheme?

yes they are Gerber use fiskars siccors in there multitools too :)

I have the Gerber Pack Axe and a couple of their Gator knives. :cheers:

I too have Gator knives and like the steel, it holds an edge very well. I shot an elk three years ago and had a Cold Steel knife I wanted to try out... what a fiasco. The Cold Steel felt sharp but the edge was so steep that it would not cut skin. If it wasn't for the little Gerber folder I would have had to cut up the elk with splinters and my teeth, but believe it or not, the 4" folder held the edge through skinning and deboning the entire elk. I was so impressed, I got two more Gerbers. I have a Gerber camp axe and not nearly as impressed with it; it got nicks on the edge after the very first encounter with the elk skull (well, maybe that it too brutal of a test, eh?). Maybe the mauls are made of a different steel than that little axe.

My lovely and talented wife gave me a Fiskars Pro splitting axe last Christmas. I split more than a cord of birch in a few hours, which seemed fast for a newbie like me.

I've never tried some of the other names recommended here but my Fiskars makes splitting easy and fun, so it's great for me.

Gransfor Bruks large splitting maul best I have ever used. I absolutely love it.
I then purchased the small model for kindling. The small one does not work for me. It is not quite heavy enough, and the short handle throws my aim off. My wife likes it so I call a girls axe.
The quality of these tools does not get any better on this planet. The craftsmen that forges the head stamps them with there initials. The best craftsmen make the large axes not the mauls, that take less skill.

The large maul also has a shorter then normal handle, I like it.

I have an old Winchester and Keen Cutter both are very nice and have excellent steel.

My son just bought a splitting maul at Lowes with a red fiberglass reenforced handled/ it had wings on the side of the head. May have been True Temper made in India.

We were using it to split hickory and my son noticed half of the cutting edge was broke off, the broke piece was buried in the piece of hickory. I cut the round off as close as I dared and we took the stick of wood in with the broken splitting maul and the couldn't believe, we just got a refund, he's going to buy a fiskar's. The one that broke looked like it was made out of cast.

Back