backup saw stihl 026, redmax g5300, dolmar p5100 or jonsered 2055

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i just looked up the ipl on it...whoops. wrong model in my head. going to edit my above post to correct the misinformation

I believe the 5100 would be a great backup saw for you. It will feel heavier than your McCulloch but not that much and have way more punch. That I can guarantee you from experience. My 5100 was my main firewood saw for 5 years and I still use it quite a bit.

what to check on each saw when buy used ?
i have a cylinder compression tester ?
compression test is a start but a better check would just be pull the muffler and have a look at the P&C along with just running them a few minutes and knowing what to listen for as far as an air leak is concerned.

compression test only tells half the story. a cylinder can be scored and on its way out but still have good compression.

No, about the new edition of the MS261. They likely haven't hit the market everywhere yet, but they are out on some markets.
New edition...it seems like Stihl is starting to market their saws the same way Samsung and Motorola are marketing their phones.
I'm going to skip this MS261-S7 edge and wait until the new 261-S7 dual edge comes out.

I believe the 5100 would be a great backup saw for you. It will feel heavier than your McCulloch but not that much and have way more punch. That I can guarantee you from experience. My 5100 was my main firewood saw for 5 years and I still use it quite a bit.

Buying a used 5100 calls for at least a compression test and a close inspection of the piston and cylinder. "Cooked" top ends have been more common on those saws than on any others I believe.

i call the four seller, and the redmax G5300 take my attention, it an old man that told it used for about 15-20 cord wood. he told it saw is in like new (250 cad$)

The dolmar 5100 guy say minus than 300 cord but not more ... he buy a husqvarna to replace his dolmar this fall , he say that his husky is not as powerful and maby wont sell it. My opinion is that the guy buy a new saw because his dolmar had some trouble, and he hesitate to sell it because he not really want to sold a problem chainsaw to a good guy like me :) (200 cad$)

the stihl 026, it al used saw that work good, but pass from many hand, and the guy dont want to commit about the reliability. (190 cad$)

the Jonsered is a bit far and the guy seam to not know much about his saw. (200 cad$)

There has been several other serious issues with the Dolmar 5000-series, and particularly with the 5100S and the early 5105s.
What might those be? I have not heard of any other serious issues with the 5100 at the end of production cycle or early 5105's. Not here nor in german speaking forums.
..."Cooked" top ends have been more common on those saws than on any others I believe.
Again I haven't noticed it to be any more common than any other saw were the carb settings were not set correctly! By this logic Echo must be the worst brand by far at the moment...

witch saw is more reliable, lighter and have the best power to weight ratio ?
You want an answer on all three questions? Dolmar 5105, Dolmar 5105 and the last Dolmar 5105.
Forget about parts. You won't be needing them because they are as reliable as reliable can be.

Wolter

What might those be? I have not heard of any other serious issues with the 5100 at the end of production cycle or early 5105's. Not here nor in german speaking forums.

There were lots of discussions about the frequently failing 5100S and the 14,500 rpm rated 5105 saws on this forum some years ago.

The (more or less) consensus was that the main culprits were inadequate cylinder cooling and a lot of heat from the high rpm and high combustion chamber compression. Lean carb settings from the factory (to pass EPA inspection) combined with inadequate training of dealers worsened the situation (in the US).
The trouble continued with the 14,500 rpm 5105, despite of allegedly better cylinder cooling - but the lower max rpm coils seem to have helped.

I wouldn't hesitate at all about a Red Max 5300/ 353/ 2152 Jonsered. I have a 2152 and it is a great firewood saw. The only problem I have with it is that its not a 2153. Since I bought a 346, it sort of sits unless I haven't gotten around to sharpening the chains on my 346.

That one seems to be a pretty low hour saw, but the most expensive out of your choices.

Hi, i am looking for a good backup saw.
i already have an husky 262xp.

i want a lighter saw that is all around for brush and lug

i have target 50cc saw and i found 4 saw that is sold locally, stihl 026, redmax g5300 or dolmar p5100, jonsered 2055

witch saw is more reliable, lighter and have the best power to weight ratio ?
I have a 262 and my back up is a PioneerGuy 600 built " Super Mighty Mouse!" If you ever ran one of his 026's, that he has down to a science, you'd consider no other saw!!

I have a 262 and my back up is a PioneerGuy 600 built " Super Mighty Mouse!" If you ever ran one of his 026's, that he has down to a science, you'd consider no other saw!!
so you consider a stihl o26 is night and day difference of an redmax g5300 / husqvarna 353 ?

so you consider a stihl o26 is night and day difference of an redmax g5300 / husqvarna 353 ?
icon_lol.gif

Back