Best General Boots for Woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything with Gore-tex or similar PTFE sandwich for waterproof/breathable is going to command a premium. Any product for WL Gore period commands a premium.

These are my all around boots:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...21x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=067B0037000P

I put mink oil on them for water repellancy and still find them to be as breathable as my Gore-tex lined hiking boots; that is to say... not very.

I've been abusing my Danner Super Rainforest's all summer and they have held up well. 5 days of tree work and Saturdays out in the woods doing firewood. My dealer says they are his most popular boot.

Chippewa has a competitively priced (under $200 at my dealer) USA made logger boot. They look pretty good! My buddy bought some nice Georgia's a while back, so far they have held up well for him.

I have a few different boots I use for splitting wood, all of them with steel toes. I don't know who makes Stihl boots but they are probably my favorites because they fit me the best. They also are kevlar lined which is supposed to be somewhat chainsaw cut retardant. I have never hit them with a running chain, so I can't say how well they protect against chain cuts. I do know from experience that cut resistant chaps work. I have a bad habit of hitting myself just above my left knee and I have ruined two pairs of chaps when I was tired and running a big saw.

I have a few pairs of cork boots, Merill's, Hoffman's and White's, that I have used occaisionally, mainly to run a brush cutter on the steep bank behind my house. They provide great traction but I don't think any of them have steel toes. I actually did use one pair for their intended purpose when I was bucking a 35" oak that had fallen on the bank. Next year I am going to try a pair of Nike baseball spikes for brush cutting on the bank. I think the traction should be good but I am not sure they are going to work because they provide no ankle support.

This past summer I did wear a pair of Rocky snake boots after seeing a couple of Copperheads. They were comfortable but sweaty after a few hours.

Just a reply to a couple of posts.

When putting the Sno-Seal on, use a hair drier if you have it. I used the oven trick once...and even at the lowest (170*) setting I melted the sole glue...so don't use the oven...

Redwings are the best you'll find...IF you don't mind the cost. That's why I said buy the Wolverines I linked to. Excellent for the money. I log every day, and these have held up very well.

Whatever you buy; If you walk in brush, like I do logging, DO NOT GET BOOTS WITH "TOE CAPS" !
They will trip you up every damn step. The toe cap will catch EVERY bush and branch and twig. Trust Oldtimer on this. Been here, done it. All of it.

I used to wear Danners but the last pair I had The US firestorms Fell apart in 3 monthsThey wont get my money again.
I have been wearing Hathorns for about 8 years They are without a doubt The least expensive boots I ever had. They are made by Whites about 250 a pair and I got 6 years of HARD work out of them. Current pair is going strong.
I am hard on boots I work in the woods and weigh about 260.

My experiance with Snoseal is all bad The stiching came out of all the boots I have ever used it on. Obenhaughs is THE best I ever used.:bang::chainsawguy:

I just started buying Belleville boots here recently. They are military boots and our forces use them. They are made in USA in bellville Illinois. I bought a pair for the first time 6 months ago for $130 and after putting them on I realized I have found the most comfortable boots I have ever wore. Ask for the ones with a vibram running shoe sole and they are literally like wearing tennis shoes with all the features of a boot. They are also gore tex lined. The only downfall I have found is that in a hurry it takes a minute to put them on correctly. I simply just slip them on when we get a firecall and figure I will be changing boots at the station anyway no need to lace em.

Up until finding these I was a redwing fan through and through. Then the last pair I ordered ($180) when they arrived at the store they had made in China on them. I refused the boots and told them I could get chinese boots at wally world for $30.

A factory I used to work at years ago required you to buy your boots through their catalog that had proper metatarsel protection! They would give you half the cost of the boots and I had to pay the other half. But the only thing in the catalog was chinese boots and they were damn proud of them. I would go through a pair every 4 months.

When buying redwings I went through 1 pair a year. But I wear a size 16 and have little options in shoe styles and variety so my boots are worn day in and day out. I usually have a new pair around for a backup. That new pair is the ones I wear when we go out to eat or something.

I recently bought a pair of Belleville boots based mainly on this post, along with much internet searching and researching.

Bought the 795 ST. They list on the Belleville site for $175. Got them elsewhere for $135 shipped.

Like mentioned above, they are VERY comfortable. I have had mine on today for 13 hours already and don't feel the need to take them off. In fact, I'm about to run out the the store and am just going to wear these. Yes, they are that comfortable.

795%20-%20Waterproof%20Insulated%20Tan%20Combat%20Boot.jpg

These are waterproof, steel toe, and insulated. Good looking boot and did I mention they are comfortable? :)

Oh, and EVERY one of their boots are made in the USA!!!!!

i'm not that old, but i've never owned a pair of boots other than red wings until 3 weeks ago. red wing discontinued "my" boot.. second time in 5 years they've canceled what i was wearing. so i said piss on it, went across the street and looked at some other brands.. settled on an Ariat that the salesman did a great job of selling. called a buddy that swears by them and he said it was a good deal. Spent $150 same i would on a redwing so that was a wash. They are VERY comfortable and i wear them daily.. work, farm, auction doesn't matter. Wish i had switched 3 years ago.

I wear a cowboy (pull on) boot and the cats i tried weren't bad, but these ariets were just comfortable in the store, and just got better. My old red wings are cracked out the sides but i still wear them to go get wood in the middle of the night and stuff like that. hard to be the worn out broken things for getting them on and off. the ariats are a pain... almost need a boot jack

In summer I wear a pair of 8" Georgia Boots or USMC Desert issue, in winter I wear Irish Setter elk trackers.

Ray

Gr8scott...put a pair of waffle soles on those Belleville's and the comfort walking improves 10fold.
Nice boots I wear mine daily.

Back