Choosing an around saw ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarm

Reaction score
Hello this my first post. I have been borrowing my dads 2054 turbo (1996/97) saw for cutting wood off my property. The saw runs well and is not too heavy, but it is a little slower than I would like. I got wood boiler hooked up last year and will be needing to 4-6 cords annually, so I figure its time to buy my own saw. I mainly cut trees 12-20" and in about five years I may need to buy grapple loads.

I have been reading alot this past week and looked at a few saws. I was hoping for a single saw solution. I was looking at a 359, 2159, Echo CS600P, MS362, MS391. I want a nicely sprung saw as the Jred 2054 has spoiled me with all metal springs.

The MS391 is too heavy at 14 lbs, but it is nicely sprung saw, very similar to the new MS362 but more plastic.

The 359 and 2159 are about same except for 0.2 more hp with the 2159 and ($40 more). Is this 0.2 Hp real and noticable? Both these are about 12 + lbs each and seem like they will be manageable for limbing. I'm not thrilled with the clutch arrangement, but maybe it is fine. (2-3 dealers)

The CS600P is 13 lbs and maybe more bulky than the husky/Jred. 5 year warranty and supposed easy starting and idling. The trip lever for the brake looks a little weak on the chain side pivot, but maybe fine. (only one dealer in my area 45 minutes away)

The MS362 is nicely put together, 1/4 turn captive fasteners for air cleaner, dual filter, metal side covers, and standard clutch design. This is the most expensive saw of the list is maybe overkill for what I need it is also 13 lbs. If it was 12lbs I just close my and pay the man. (3-4 dealers 2 close by) ($625)

There may be 2 MS361 left about 45 minutes from me, I tried to see one this weekend but the place was closed. I have never picked one up but there is lots of positive disscusion about them. If I try to go this route I need to act fast before they are gone, I may need to put hold on one over the phone if i want to see one. ($600/ 12.3 lbs)

The dolmar 5105/5100 is less displacement but 11 lbs/ 3.8 Hp - closest dealer is 1hr 10 minutes away. I will call him tomorrow.

What are peoples thoughts on 13lbs saws with 18" bars as a one saw solution, for someone of average physical build. Is this too much and should I go with the 359 lowest weight and price at $539. Or should I be looking at a 2 saw approach and go less than 12lbs ( not currently being discussed with my wife yet). What ever it is it must be a marked improvement over the 2054 as I can still borrow it when needed.

Thanks in advance for any guidance any can provide.

Look, don't get so hooked on numbers. Numbers lie. Get yourself a good saw, 60cc is about right for an "all arounder", run it in, then muffler mod the thing. A 359 is a good choice, as is the 361. The 361 BEGS for a muff mod, there is a lot of potential stolen by the EPA.

If you have dealers, go to them and pick the saw up, move it around and see what it feels like. Buy the saw you like the best from the dealer you like best, and go cut wood. Happiness is everything, specs mean little. A good dealer is a lifesaver. You are going at this all wrong.

First of all welcome to A S. I prefer the 2 saw approach, I actually own 5 or 6 saws, but that'll come after you've been here for a while. The first consideration I would suggest is dealer support. I personally prefer the Stihl saws, but Husky, & Dolmar make excellent machines as well. For the money I'd do the 362, a bit heavier yes, but if you don't work yourself to death cutting you'll get acclimated to it quickly. I like a powerful saw in any case, & I'm a weekend cutter as well. 10-15 cord per year, & about the same for my partner. We split the work & the wood. I fell & buck w an 064 & 20" bar & partner usually limbs with an MS 290 & 18" bar. Occasionally I'll run the 041 AV farm boss cuz it's fun & works well for bucking 16-20" stuff. I have a MS 290 that's muff modded & runs good, but I don't use it much. I realize this prolly doesn't help much. A lot of the other members are far more knowledgeable than I. Have fun with whatever you decide.

Tarm The 2054 is a nice saw and should cut 4-6 cords pretty quick. It doesn't matter how much power you have, if your chains dull you're not going to cut anything fast.

For the money the Husky 359 is hard to beat. If I had to choose between the 361 and the 362 I'd get the 362. I had a 361, and I currently have a 362 and I like it better than the 361 I had.

Honestly you have a good 50cc saw so I'd skip the 60cc saws and get a nice 70+cc saw. Dolmar 7900, 372xp, MS441/460 something like that. Check out the trading post.:cheers:

Last edited:
Like Oldsaw said "don't get hooked on numbers, but at the same time pay attention to what you are getting for what your paying, "Best bang for the buck"
If your looking at spending $600 for a 361/362 you might take a look at the Dolmar 6400 for a little less money and you can always upgrade it with 7900 P&C if you wish in the future.
Dealer support is always a factor to consider. If he isn't pleasant to deal with when purchasing a saw imagine what it would be like if you have a warrenty issue.
And hey Welcome to AS

Its hard to not like the 361 as an all around saw. If the 362 is better and by most accounts it is, then there is your answer for the Stihl line up. I don't know much about the other lines of saws to comment.

The initial price will fade quickly with either the 361/362 as you will/should like them that much. I know the 361 gets fuel mileage out the ying yang to more than pay for itself in fuel savings many times over in its typical lifetime.

My opinion,

Sam

Honestly you have a good 50cc saw so I'd skip the 60cc saws and get a nice 70+cc saw. Dolmar 7900, 372xp, MS441/460 something like that. Check out the trading post.:cheers:

Tarm, I second Andy's opinion. I have myself a Stihl 270 (50 cc, 3.5 hp and heavy like the "big boys") and I feel it is not enough to cut comfortably the 20 m3 I need annually. It is a nice saw to work in orchards, but not much more than that. Even stihl classifies the 270 as a agriculture saw. Now I am looking around to acquire a sthil 460 to tackle the real trees. I suggest you jump strait away to 70+cc, 6 hp saws, just like Andy referred. For small stuff I bought a echo 341. I keep it in the car for fire wood opportunity and I can cut wood up until 30 cm in diameter with no problem.

I would look at the husky 365 or jonsered 2165, I started out pretty much doing what your describing, and for the money its a pretty good all round saw. Plenty of power for blocking 12-20" trees.

You are gonna need more than one saw. I dont have any newer saws so I cant give advice on buying a new one. Go with a 60-70cc. I like the stihl 036. I had one a couple of years ago and it got stolen. Good saw.

Just make sure that you pick the best Dealer. In a sense more important than the brand of saw. All mentioned are good but in end the Dealer is the person that will handle any problems that you come up against. My opinion on saws is that stihl 361 or newer 362 can't be beat. The price on the ms 362 at $625 is good (paid $650 for mine). Good luck. Enjoy.

one saw, two saw, three saw, four...

I got wood boiler hooked up last year and will be needing to 4-6 cords annually, so I figure its time to buy my own saw. I mainly cut trees 12-20" and in about five years I may need to buy grapple loads.

first things first, Welcome!

second... only 6 cords for an OWB? are you sure.. Up here we need 15 cords to be sure...

I'd guess you'll burn 10... OWB seem to need to eat even when you're not drawing heat off them... best thing with them, plumb them to heat every building you have! They burn X to heat your house... X times 1.5 to heat your garage and shop.

Last edited:
I'd be lookin at something in the 60-70cc range. It'll do bout everything you need from limbin to blockin. As far as brand...well find yourself a good dealer and go from there :)

4-6 cord in a OWB? you must have a small well insulated house!

Nanuk

This is a inside wood boiler and the house was foamed so it only runs 30% of the time currently unless it is windy and in the singles or low teens. When I finish hooking up the thermal storage tank that should drop some more (800 gallons water). The energystar auditors predicted I would need approximately 5 cord, but that was without the garage hookup (currently not piped in). I have to wait and see.

Nanuk

This is a inside wood boiler and the house was foamed so it only runs 30% of the time currently unless it is windy and in the singles or low teens. When I finish hooking up the thermal storage tank that should drop some more (800 gallons water). The energystar auditors predicted I would need approximately 5 cord, but that was without the garage hookup (currently not piped in). I have to wait and see.

Watch out for creosote buildup if the boiler is set to smolder when idle. Burning wood requires steady heat and clean burn unless you do an outdoor unit where the crosote buildup is not much of a concern. I went to a wood fireplace and geo thermal for my heating water. 5,000+ sq ft at $ 150 electricity plus 1.5 face cord or so for January. It also does my AC and we're predicting less than $1000 annual HVAC.

Foam is great, especially closed cell. Ours is in a "hot roof" setup with no ventialtion in the attic. All conditioned space in a sealed building envelope.

Last edited:
That seems a little short for an OWB. Go with the biggest saw that you can afford/handle well. I have 50 and 60 cc saws and I am real pleased with them, but if I had it to do over again, there would be a 70 cc in the mix. Get a 70 cc now with a bar long enough to handle the wood that you deal with and then aim for a 50cc saw later if you want another one.

Look, don't get so hooked on numbers. Numbers lie. Get yourself a good saw, 60cc is about right for an "all arounder", run it in, then muffler mod the thing. A 359 is a good choice, as is the 361. The 361 BEGS for a muff mod, there is a lot of potential stolen by the EPA.

If you have dealers, go to them and pick the saw up, move it around and see what it feels like. Buy the saw you like the best from the dealer you like best, and go cut wood. Happiness is everything, specs mean little. A good dealer is a lifesaver. You are going at this all wrong.

:agree2: whatever feels good in your hands. i got the 6400. not too expensive and can be easily upgraded to a monster if needed to. it's not much heavier than the 5105. i know i've owned both

Back