Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, whats everyones take? based on the assumption that your cutting wood with a average size of 16".
I am in the 70cc camp.

:agree2: 100% for me its 60 cc plus for a firewood saw. I just posted a new social group called 60cc + firewood cutters to see who all agreed. I dont have a pic up yet for it if anyone has a good Idea let me know!

Bigger always seems to be better for me. If you need the extra power its there. Just my .02 :cheers:

The smallest I own is a 75cc now. I haven't owned a 50cc for 5 years or so. I didn't see the advantage of 1.5 lbs lighter and about half the power.

Ok, whats everyones take? based on the assumption that your cutting wood with a average size of 16".
I am in the 70cc camp.

Man,,what IS with you guys ???
a 70cc saw for 16 in wood ??

logging22 Bigger always seems to be better for me. If you need the extra power its there. Just my .02
again,,16 in wood ??
i dont put down my modded ryobie untill i hit 16 inches !!
i have a 70cc saw and i AINT gonna pick that heavy thing up and down to cut 16 in firewood..
what is it with guys that think bigger is better ?? i can lift ten lbs more times than i can lift 20 lbs.. are you all built like Arnold ??
this big saw thing has gotten WAY out of hand..
go ahead and beat yourselves up and when you get old and grab that 50cc and see how nice it works in small wood you will wish you done it sooner..
now dont forget we are talking "firewood" here,, NOT comercial cutting..occasional use,heat the home,,live for another day and not kill yourself type of cutting in 16 in wood..
shoot,,why not just get one of those comercial big rigs that grab the whole tree and and whack it off at the bottom ?? then make a big pile next to the house and set it off ??
i waste not and want not,i cut and burn down to 3 in pieces,give me a small saw..
"my" opinion,,your milage may vary :)

I'm itchin' to get my 346 but in 16" all day I will have to be convinced that it will cut as fast as my 365, if you said 12" I would be 50cc all the way:cheers:

70cc is th best

a 70cc can run any bar from 18"-32"
a 50cc can run any bar from 14"-18"

the pondo pine i cut is like cuttin concrete. most of my wood starts at 16" up to 48". the 70 cc with a 32" bar is all i need. if you cut soft wood you will have to cut a :censored: load of limbs , hard woods have less limbs.

50cc will geter don in small 16" fire wood.
just maybe alittle slower then 70cc

a 70cc can run any bar from 18"-32"
a 50cc can run any bar from 14"-18"

the pondo pine i cut is like cuttin concrete. most of my wood starts at 16" up to 48". the 70 cc with a 32" bar is all i need. if you cut soft wood you will have to cut a :censored: load of limbs , hard woods have less limbs.

Then you haven't cut a pin oak then?

You use your toys the way you want to. I will use mine the way i want to.:)

it's MY toy,,,god gave it to me to play with and i will play with it how "I" want to !!

wigglesworth Iffin you aint a man enuf to pack a big-un, i reckon u need 2 moove two Norweigh....70cc or bust!!

it aint not being "man" enuf Wiggs,,it's being an "old" man without enough !!
thus smaller saws..
the old 'work smart" idea..make it to the woodpile another day if i take it easy enuf :)
50cc saws have a good place in the 16 in wood size..
saw safe and get old enuf to appreciate it..

It depends on your situation, a 50, 60, 70cc or anything in between are all good firewood saws.
70cc + if you're cutting up loads of logs for production. For tops left over that are a pain to cut with the big saws, 50cc. And 60cc for the quick standing dead firewood missions where you need power for bigger rounds but the 70cc is annoying in the brush and rough terrain.
I always use whichever saw will make the job easiest, which often ends up being the 254xp or 044...

I personally use my 2156 most of the time while cutting firewood, and if never going much bigger than 16" it would be all the saw I would ever need.

Latest posts

Back