Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay the first part was me agreeing that a 5100 is not suitable for 24"-30" wood but going back and reading that I can see where I should have said that differntly.

Now on the 372 I'm not sure what your trying to bet, but in 16" and less I would take that bet as long as its a stock 372, and for the record I don't own a 372 so your screwed on that:)

Here is the time sheet at the last GTG in Indiana,

46-55cc 9X9 Basswood
1) Frank (gink) 1.94 5100
2) Gink 2.0 5100
3) Gink 2.03 5100
4) Gink 2.07 5100

5) Brad 2.12 346
6) Ericjeeper 2.12 346
7) Brad 2.16 260
8) Ericjeeper 2.22 346
9) EJ 2.31 346
10) 2.87 346

66-75cc 9X9 Basswood
1) Andyshine 1.50 372
2) Andy 1.56
3) Brad 1.91 372BB <-----modded saws
4) Brad 1.97 372BB
5) Owen 3.22 441
6) Banshee 3.47 272xp <----- Stock saws
7) Stephen 3.29 (saw???)
8) Banshee 3.47 372xp

Gink, Ill still take your bet youll just have to buy me a new 372! But It has to be a heads up bet modded vs modded or stock vs stock!
Also since its a qaunity issue lets see who can buck the most in 1 hour.

Last edited:
Only 150 to 200 full cords we sell wood commercially,we will deliver ten to twelve cords in the next couple of days, we use a two ton truck with a dump bed to deliver to the bigger customers, we have larger customers that take five cord at a time for their OWB's to heat chicken houses . We do this to augment farm income during the winter, if we just depended on that splitter yes it would be a bottleneck, but we use hickory handled 8 lbs variety on most wood with the power splitter used for the tough stuff, we also have a 3 point splitter we use on a JD tractor that has a 34 gal minute pump and is very fast. I'm not disagreeing for a guy that does his own wood that a 50cc saw wouldn't work, I'm sure that the 5100 is a heck of a saw. We normally have three guys working on the wood and a face cord or rick gets cut split and on the truck in around 32 to 36 minutes, we cut wood from three inches in diameter to thirty inches, everybody has their own methods, we just like the bigger saw route we think it saves time in the long run as well as easier on the saw in the long run. We have a neighbor that gets along with his Wild Thing, but he uses maybe a couple of cord a year. I've been doing this for thirty years and have tried several different methods this is just what works for us.

Gink, Ill still take your bet youll just have to buy me a new 372! But It has to be a heads up bet modded vs modded or stock vs stock!
Also since its a qaunity issue lets see who can buck the most in 1 hour.

What kind of silly bet is that? Oh you got me on that one, a modded 372 WTF! Seeing how I'm already giving up 20cc. Yeah right, if you want to run modded 372's I have a modded 7900 that feels froggy! You wanna take that bet too?

Whats the matter, how come you want to run modded now why did the bet change....I know why...:monkey:

What kind of silly bet is that? Oh you got me on that one, a modded 372 WTF! Seeing how I'm already giving up 20cc. Yeah right, if you want to run modded 372's I have a modded 7900 that feels froggy! You wanna take that bet too?

Whats the matter, how come you want to run modded now why did the bet change....I know why...:monkey:

Hate to break it to you gink, but thats a fair bet. The name of this thread is 50cc or 70cc . Not modded 50cc vs stock 70cc. The whole point is can you cut more wood easier with a 50cc saw or a 70cc. I say 70cc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol I ran my big Johnny again today even if it was only for 2 minutes bucking up a 12'' cherry log in the backyard. Gotta say I don't care if you have a modded 70cc saw you're probably not getting more cut than the ol Johnny.. I know I know you guys want some pics.. One of these days..

drifter

say, i'm cornfused as we don't have any of that 'round here neither.

is it "bass" like-the-fish wood or "bass" like-the-guitar wood?

:monkey:

Pronounced like the fish. Basswood is really soft wood people use for carving and woodworking.

and saw racing?

wouldn't a harder wood be a better contest? or are we trying to limit the actual time under load at w/o/t?

of course i think they use poplar 'round here. the only deciduous "tree" softer than poplar is sumac (that i've stuck a bar into).

_and_ back to the op--if i know i'm going to be into harder woods (white oak, hickory, black locust-seasoned on the forest floor) for the day, then i'm going 60+cc's. if it's mixed or little stuff, then i'll grab whatever. and a spare or two.

so many firewood "factors". hey...i think i'll start another thread. yall derailed this one. i didn't have nothin:chainsaw: to do with that.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back