Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50cc for me.

Since I modded my MS 260, I hardly ever use the MS 390. That little saw flies though the wood as fast as I want it to. I don't cut much over 16 inches and when I'm the one that is going to cut it down, chunk it, split it, load it, unload and stack it, I am going to swing less weight any time I can. I am 34 and pretty strong, but I'm not out to impress anyone when I'm working.

For the record, I want to get a MS 660, but I know I will hardly ever use it. I just want to be able to whip it out if needed. I have done a couple of 3 foot diameter ash trees this year and would have loved to had more cc's for that.

Why did you read it then?????????

I was hoping for an answer but found out that the same discussions have been held in many other threads. And if you didn't notice my answer was meant ironically.

As usuall the resumee is:

different cc for:
1. Pro vs. Amatur
2. Softwood vs. Hardwood
3. "in hurry" vs. "relaxed"
4. "need" vs. "no need"
5. "strong enough to carry a man saw" vs. "strong enough but no need to use excessive equipment"
6. experience vs. inexperienced
7. 2 inch more you need a different saw class because it can't be done with out
8. smaller saws exist?

:popcorn:

I wouldn't even fire up the saws for wimpy wood like that! Here's what I would go for.........

crosscut_saws.jpg

We just have so many choices in life! Let's hope the ones that really count are the right ones! :)

Since having one now, my vote would be a GOOD woods ported 5100 or what ever your preferece is. The power of a 70cc saw with the weight of a....well 50cc saw.

My ported 5100 is a fun little monster in the woods, became my favorite very quickly.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SJOtWHLPVUk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SJOtWHLPVUk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Since having one now, my vote would be a GOOD woods ported 5100 or what ever your preferece is. The power of a 70cc saw with the weight of a....well 50cc saw.

My ported 5100 is a fun little monster in the woods, became my favorite very quickly.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SJOtWHLPVUk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SJOtWHLPVUk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't doubt you can get a 50 cc saw to cut as fast as a 70 cc saw with more of a race port.
But a woods ported saw with modest fuel consumption and reliability doing the same day in work, will it be up to a 70 cc's saw task ?
The ported 026 I bought here feels a bit more then stock, ( I never timed cuts ) , but not near the performance of my 034 muffler modded.

The idea that porting makes a 50cc saw into a 70cc saw is severely flawed. And
i have a ported 50cc saw.

My saw is a woods ported saw that uses teh same fuel as any of my others, I have used it all day felling and bucking, at one of the previous GTG's we had it was one of the few saws to cut under a 2 second mark in a 9x9 cant in ANY of the classes, smoked a lot of 4-5 cube saws. Your right porting it isn't making it a 70cc saw but it will cut just as quick and fast as one, Copsey said he cut 25 cord with it before I bought. I have no doubts about it's realiability, it's not a pretty saw it's been well used fo sure. But I'm not going to argue with anyone, it works for me and dats all dat matters:)

Here is what I cut with it this past summer, about 300-400 poles total for me and the land owners grandson. About 150-200 here in these pics mostly with the 5100.

miscoutdoor031.jpg

miscoutdoor030.jpg

My saw is a woods ported saw that uses teh same fuel as any of my others, I have used it all day felling and bucking, at one of the previous GTG's we had it was one of the few saws to cut under a 2 second mark in a 9x9 cant in ANY of the classes, smoked a lot of 4-5 cube saws. Your right porting it isn't making it a 70cc saw but it will cut just as quick and fast as one, Copsey said he cut 25 cord with it before I bought. I have no doubts about it's realiability, it's not a pretty saw it's been well used fo sure. But I'm not going to argue with anyone, it works for me and dats all dat matters:)

Here is what I cut with it this past summer, about 300-400 poles total for me and the land owners grandson. About 150-200 here in these pics mostly with the 5100.

miscoutdoor031.jpg

miscoutdoor030.jpg

If I were cutting smaller stuf like that I could see using a 5100 also. But I cut alot of 24-30 inch stuff a 5100 is not enough!

:agree2:I guess i'm kinda in no mans land though. I always take along the 346-16" b/c and then for the big stuff I bring the modded 066 with 36" b/c. Cause when I want to get through the bigger stuff I want to get those chips really flyin'!:chainsawguy:

If I were cutting smaller stuf like that I could see using a 5100 also. But I cut alot of 24-30 inch stuff a 5100 is not enough!

Sure I do too! but this thread was about 16" and less and thats what I posted about! And most of those logas were 16" and less and I would make a good sized bet a 372 wouldn't have cut any more or any faster with what I took. I really never cut to many trees over 20", very rare if I do! The largest I've ever cut was a 4' ash and no the 5100 isn't going to like that very well, but I bet I could do it with it:)

I don't doubt you can get a 50 cc saw to cut as fast as a 70 cc saw with more of a race port.
But a woods ported saw with modest fuel consumption and reliability doing the same day in work, will it be up to a 70 cc's saw task ?
The ported 026 I bought here feels a bit more then stock, ( I never timed cuts ) , but not near the performance of my 034 muffler modded.

Sounds like why someone sold you the 026 in the first place :(.

Guys try porting and when they screw up or dont like the results they sale the saw instead of putting money in another cylinder. We ran 026 on our crew and most were woods ported with stock adjustable carbs. They were really good and strong for 48 cc saw with the woods porters we used up here.

Sounds like why someone sold you the 026 in the first place :(.

Guys try porting and when they screw up or dont like the results they sale the saw instead of putting money in another cylinder. We ran 026 on our crew and most were woods ported with stock adjustable carbs. They were really good and strong for 48 cc saw with the woods porters we used up here.

+1, a well ported 026 would not have a problem against a mm 034.

miscoutdoor031.jpg

miscoutdoor030.jpg

Gink, i dont know about you saw or what happens on a 9x9 cant, but I do know I have owner several ported 50cc saws from several builders and not one had the balls of a stock but muffler modded 372 or 440. Are they fast? No doubt, but they simply do not have the torque for cutting hard maple in the 16" range. Now, in somehitng like a 9x9 cant a ported 50 may indeed be faster, but not in the real world IME.

Gink, i dont know about you saw or what happens on a 9x9 cant, but I do know I have owner several ported 50cc saws from several builders and not one had the balls of a stock but muffler modded 372 or 440. Are they fast? No doubt, but they simply do not have the torque for cutting hard maple in the 16" range. Now, in somehitng like a 9x9 cant a ported 50 may indeed be faster, but not in the real world IME.

Maybe you should try my saw then, sounds like you'd throw stones at yours. LOL:)

miscoutdoor031.jpg

miscoutdoor030.jpg

damn that looks like my wood ya got there! you should throw in some big log tops and some blow-down stuff and you would be there! i think my 575 would cut most of it OK- the 029 super could have done it but it would be slow going--the 044s even the stock one no bigge!:greenchainsaw:

you get in some big timber--your going to miss those extra CCs!:chainsaw:

damn that looks like my wood ya got there! you should throw in some big log tops and some blow-down stuff and you would be there! i think my 575 would cut most of it OK- the 029 super could have done it but it would be slow going--the 044s even the stock one no bigge!:greenchainsaw:

you get in some big timber--your going to miss those extra CCs!:chainsaw:

Yeah I got lucky on that pile of wood, a friends grandfather was clear cutting 8 acres so he didn't have to farm around it any longer, I was invited to cut and take anything the logger didn't have marked, so that left me with the pecker poles, thats okay though easier to make firewood out of.

For larger wood above 16" I do have a ported 7900 also, so I won't be laking on cc's:clap:

During the fall and winter we sell oak firewood to supplement our income, we usually cut seasoned oak, on a good day three of us cut,split and haul out 10 rick. We use the 361 muffler modded and a JD 156 the most, but since we bought a 660 this year we find ourselves using it more and more, the 038 has found itself setting more this year than ever. We have found we can save time with the 660 with a 25" bar. We drag all our wood up to a central cutting location and lift the logs up and set them on a old industrial barrel stand to cut up, which makes them about knee to waist high depending on the size of the log. We have tried several 50cc saws and for production cutting of firewood they are too slow for us, for the guy cutting his own wood, not in a hurry they would do okay, but I certainly lean toward a 361 class as being as small as I would go for serious firewood cutting, the 044,441,372 class would be about the perfect class saw. Thirty years ago I thought the 028 and 032 were the perfect firewood saws, today they just get run for sentimental reasons.

During the fall and winter we sell oak firewood to supplement our income, we usually cut seasoned oak, on a good day three of us cut,split and haul out 10 rick. We use the 361 muffler modded and a JD 156 the most, but since we bought a 660 this year we find ourselves using it more and more, the 038 has found itself setting more this year than ever. We have found we can save time with the 660 with a 25" bar. We drag all our wood up to a central cutting location and lift the logs up and set them on a old industrial barrel stand to cut up, which makes them about knee to waist high depending on the size of the log. We have tried several 50cc saws and for production cutting of firewood they are too slow for us, for the guy cutting his own wood, not in a hurry they would do okay, but I certainly lean toward a 361 class as being as small as I would go for serious firewood cutting, the 044,441,372 class would be about the perfect class saw. Thirty years ago I thought the 028 and 032 were the perfect firewood saws, today they just get run for sentimental reasons.

:agree2: 100%

Back