Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geeezz Roncco
Dish it out but can't take it? I believe they were responding with levit.....leavit.....levitrol.......leverty...........oh whatever.

And I'm not washing anything out,I'm not done yet.

My vote is the 70-80 cc range. I just cut for firewood and put up 17 cords last year. It was a major PITA the year before when I used a 40 cc saw with a safety chain to cut 6 cords. The vibration is what really did me in.

Too bad most home owners will never have the opportunity to use a real saw. They will only know what they can get at home depot. If you want to get the job done get a 50-60cc saw. If you want to do it with a :) get a 70-80cc saw. I think this is why I really look forward to cutting.

Besides when I finish cutting I have to haul all the wood out of a deep valley in a wheel barrow and split by hand. So the last thing I want is a slow saw.

Most of the time I just use the 50`s. I wish the trees in my area were a little larger to justify the 70`s that I have. Most of the time i`m lucky just to use the 60`s. I will probably never use the 2100 with a 36 inch bar on it , but hate to get ride of it. Oh well, I think hunting down the saws and fixing is the best part of CAD.

PPTTHHHPPPTTHHH !!!! ( raspberry )

I'm going back to my modded ryobi and leaving you ALL suffering in your elder years with your bad backs and bad shoulders with nothing but fond memories of glory days gone by as you sit in your rocking chair, remanising of about when you was young you would limb with nothing less than a 70CC saw because it showed how much of a man you were.. eating advil and sipping a hot toddy telling the grandchildren about when men were men and a real saw weighed 20 lbs and if you couldnt cut and split 10 cord a day you was considerd a wuss..

well,it sounds like a story I would tell :)
hell,i could tell it now !!
now wheres my advil ??

:cheers: I know where there is a wildthing you could get for a small fee!

The 50cc saw will get the job done. The 70cc saw will get the job done and leave you wishing there was more to cut.

I helped my brother drop a 28" DBH standing dead red oak today and my 372 tore that thing up like it was a punky pine. I LOVE that saw, I like my 50cc saws.

my stock 71cc 044 power head weighs in at 13.9lbs has 5.4hp= 0.196 lbs per cc& 2.57lbs per hp.

my lighter 575 shindaiwa weighs in at 12.9 lbs 4.2hp= 0.22lbs per cc and = 3.07lbs per hp

so a 50 cc saw would have to weigh? 9.8 lbs and put out 3.8 to 4.0hp to be in the weight to power ratio of the 044

working the same math the 575 weight/power figures would come out at 3.65hp @11.2lbs

maybe the dolmar 5100? i think it makes 4.0hp? what does it weigh in at clean?

i think where people get the idea that big saws are enormously more heavy than small ones is the big saw often had a big honking huge /heavy bar on it.

i would like to see a hi powered, light and dependable 50cc saw but it seems you give up ONE of those three things most of the time on those small saws.

Favorite all around firewood saw for production as I sell wood is the 044 and the 034 is a close 2nd. If I have big logs on the agenda or trees to fall the 660 goes along with 1 of them. Lots of small stuff an o26 may come out now and then. I like to carry a 14" tophandle mostly for making paths to the downed wood. Gives me an easiar to maintain chain that I do a majority of the close cuts to the ground with. The 034 has way more power then any 50 cc I have cut with but handles close to the same and for me, my body aches much less using a 20" bar or longer for long periods of cutting. Shorter bars have applications at times for me, but not for the bulk of my cutting. Took a 16" bar 65cc saw to test in the woods on a 2' diameter tree that fell and hung up about 45 degree angle, and it felt like more then twice the work for me then if I had a 20" or longer bar. Bought an Efco 165 this year and like it very well, 63 cc , but since its not so badly scratched up and bars don't interchange I don't take it often. 50 cc is for limbing , taking a break, or a good saw to go to when your at the point bigger saws feel to much to handle IMO.

If I just had to have one for firewood, it would be a 60cc class saw. Or a 70 if I got into big stuff often. That's it, simple.

But that is why we have saw COLLECTIONS. I like an 026 for goofing around in up to 12" wood, and a larger saw for larger logs. A lot of fun is the little 009 super mag I put together, that thing flat out cuts, has the reed valve sound, and rips through anything up to 8" with some serious authority. Fun with saws!
BUT, if I were told I could only take one saw, it would be a hard choice between the 044 and the 361 (which may get the muff opened a tad, now that break-in seems to have occurred...).

After reading this thread from the beginning to the end I have to say :sucks:.

:popcorn:

my stock 71cc 044 power head weighs in at 13.9lbs has 5.4hp= 0.196 lbs per cc& 2.57lbs per hp.

my lighter 575 shindaiwa weighs in at 12.9 lbs 4.2hp= 0.22lbs per cc and = 3.07lbs per hp

so a 50 cc saw would have to weigh? 9.8 lbs and put out 3.8 to 4.0hp to be in the weight to power ratio of the 044

working the same math the 575 weight/power figures would come out at 3.65hp @11.2lbs

maybe the dolmar 5100? i think it makes 4.0hp? what does it weigh in at clean?

i think where people get the idea that big saws are enormously more heavy than small ones is the big saw often had a big honking huge /heavy bar on it.

i would like to see a hi powered, light and dependable 50cc saw but it seems you give up ONE of those three things most of the time on those small saws.

Sounds like you long for the Dolmar 7900 :greenchainsaw:
6.3 hp. at 13.6 lbs. Just imagine it is a 50 cc saw with a 20 inch bar and you will be set. The only down side is the fact it is less expensive than heavier saws producing less power. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ok, whats everyones take? based on the assumption that your cutting wood with a average size of 16".
I am in the 70cc camp.

Inside of the AS camp, 70cc. Outside in homeowner/landowner world, 50-60cc. There are a lot of people who run a 55-65cc saw with a 28" bar. I don't know if they're cutting bar-length wood with it a lot, maybe it's just a versatility thing. There has been several 55-60cc saws sold and ran with 24" bars, too. It's my opinion that a 50cc saw will work for cutting 16" wood, but it depends on how fast the person likes to cut. Modern 50cc saws will cut 16" wood pretty decent, it seems. My general opinion now is a 60cc class or better should be used for something that size. Had I not came here and discovered good/fast saws, I would probably be using a 50-60cc saw for that. But now i'm starting to feel that stock 60cc saws are slow in that size wood, and a few saws even bigger than that. That's because I got into using a 385 for awhile on everything bigger than just under a foot. Then I started buying smaller saws, which was the wrong way to go. But I did need a dedicated trimming saw. But the gap between that 50cc trimming saw and 85cc saw leaves a lot. For jobs in between what those two saws do, 12" and up, everything else seems slow.

So I would have to say 70cc for me as well, having found professional saws.

6.3 hp. at 13.6 lbs. Just imagine it is a 50 cc saw with a 20 inch bar and you will be set. The only down side is the fact it is less expensive than heavier saws producing less power. :hmm3grin2orange:

He could do that. Or save more $$$ and have that 044 ported. Then set it up like this and have a light weight chip eating monster. I'm very pleased with mine.:rock: The only thing I would change is make it a 440 and have the flippy caps.:D
attachment.php

your right i do have a big bore makita/dolmar on my shopping list!

i may build another big or even bigger bore 83cc-044 first. my metor piston/460 76.5cc cylinder kitted mild ported 044 is likely a good bit above 6.5hp so it would be 2.1lbs per hp or under--LOL if i can tune it to 7hp--it will be looking good!

Man,,,WHAT is it with you guys ?????????????
i went and put all that effort into something i thot was entertaining and add a little levity to the situation and maybe lighten things up and maybe bring a little smile to a face or two ,being it IS the season to be jolly and all, and WHAT do i get for my effort ?? dont ANYBODY have a sense of humor here ??.. dont anybody think the jibbs and jabbs are NOT meant to be blood letting wounds and comments are made only to get a respons in fun and maybe the poster DOES realize that THIER choice is only THIERS ,and eliciting a response to the contrary is part of the fun with NO hard feeling intended ??
guys,,i have a lot of fun on here and have learned a lot and feel like i should be able to give more but the only thing i have to give right now is to share my enjoyment and try to add to a good experiance with some light hearted posts..
SO,before hitting the "submit" button think a little about what you are replying to and remember times when you have thought a response to a post you made was inapproprite and how you felt..then remember the response you got to a well intended response that was greatfully accepted and how you felt..
i hope you all have a good holiday and realize i have never made a post to degrade or minimize anybody or thier opinion on anything..
well,,if you want to insult or bash me go ahead,,you have never seen me respond with vindictivness..
let the games begin !!!

I think this whole thread was done mostly for fun.

Stay with us, you are part of the Dolmar Gang.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back