Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ben. Good to see you're still around.

You didn't explain yourself at first: cutting blocks from a stem is a subset of firewood work. I had more time this year, so ALL the wood I cut for me and my parents was harvested from my woods, their woods, and a few side jobs in the neighborhood. I used everything from a 2149 Jonsered to a 395XP husky, as the need arises.

I work and have a hobby farm on the side; some years I don't have time to get it all myself and order a semi-load of cull logs from a logger friend. When cutting out of a pile like that my absolute favorite saw would be my Jonsered 90, wearing a 20" bar. More than enough power to do the work; a little heavier than a 371/2171/440/460 class saw, but the weight feels compact and balances out real nice for me. (I also have a Jonsered 670 with 272 head, as well as a 625 with 268 (non-XP) head, and 625II, so I do have other choices)

Using green wood isn't the best choice in any stove, although you can get by with it pretty easy in a boiler. When its 30 or 40 below, my boiler barely keeps up burning green wood; boiling the moisture out saps too many BTU's. Green wood is OK when the weather is mild, as the smolder part of the cycle cooks out a lot of moisture. In really mild weather, green wood can actually reduce the wood consumption, as the moisture acts like a brake on the process of driving combustible gasses off; a dry wood fill will be a stove full of charcoal in 24 hrs of spring weather, and you will have captured only a little of the heat.

Of course, you can opt to throw just a stick or two in at closer intervals if you only have dry wood.

I need 10 cords/year, give or take, when burning green wood, but only around 7 when I have all seasoned wood.

i figure a really good zippy/powerful 50cc saw with a 16 to 18 inch bar /probably 16" would be an OK pick for most folks firewood cutting.

my old 029 super did a pretty decent job for five years with 18" bar and full chisel till it went kaput.

my 575 shindaiwa is a real screamer compared to the old 029 super.

i am off the subject cause these saws are 57cc--LOL!

as far as weight the 575 shindaiwa is a little less tiring than 044's--but not by a lot to be sure. the 757 shindaiwa and the 044 & 046's are decently light for their 70+ccs. as much as i like my little 575 i would trade it straight across for a shindaiwa 757 and not notice the little extra weight.

out here we cut from little bitty scrappy stuff to huge jump butted logs mostly oak but enough big, dry, hard hickory to where you need some serious power.

the 575 runs an 18 inch with full chisel no problem even in big oaks.

the 044's one has a 460 jug.piston and mild port job. it runs a 24 inch bar and runs it quickly! has plenty of lugging power if you can find a big enough tree or log to lug it!!

the other 044 has a 22 inch bar stock piston and jug. it has got like 10 trillion hours on it. the compression is little bit low but it still cuts about anything i can come up with-still starts good.

my 6800i dolmar is a 68cc saw it cuts better with the long bars ie- 24 inches and the like than it does with the shorter ones as it don't gain much chain speed by going to the shorter bars. but it cuts very well with the longer ones.
it is a heavy saw compared to the 044's. lots of low end grunt though. i don't run it as much as it is more of a pawn-shop project saw to play with.

my 455 rancher ie 'homeowner" it is ok enough, sort of gutless though. heavy for what little power it makes. one of these saw masters should get one and see if they can wake it up a bit. i will put up with it but i ain't buying another.

personally i think the 70+ cc saws would be a better long term pick as they are more centered to the pro user. where many of the 50cc saws are in that "homeowner" range and may not be as durable as you would like and parts are more expensive and hard to find.

i see 044 stihls, huskys, j-reds and dolmars in the 60-80cc class all the time 10-15+ years old had the crap run out of them on some logging operation and still run good with the OE piston.jug and rings it came out of the factory with!

with the smaller saws i find some good looking saws that looked like they were little used with the cylinder and piston shot, leaking seals and so on.

my experience is that little saws just don't hold up like their bigger brothers most of the time.:greenchainsaw::chainsaw::monkey:

if you can find a deal on a modern fairly modern industrial/pro 60+/70cc class saw that would be the way to go. YMMV!

Last edited:
70cc camp for me. I'm usually short on time, so the faster the better, of course with safety as top priority.

Kevin

I haven't placed my vote but if I just cut firewood for my home and wasn;t in chainsaw shape I would go with a 359. I know not the choice of alot of guys around here but it was my all time favorite 60cc saw and i've tried em all. Now, i'm 36 yrs old and outside of now ,due to the weather I run saws almost everyday and am accustomed to the weight of a 70cc saw and like most guys on here don't wanna spend all day cutting a couple cords of wood so my go to saw would be a 372 with a 20" bar. Not a whole lot in the woods you can't make quick work out of. My dad in his sixty's can run a 270 18" bar all day.

For a lot of years, 24 of em, we have heated with wood. I only cared that the saw would run, whatever it was. 15 years ago or so I bought a 028 with a 18" bar, thought I had a real saw. As long as it was kept in top shape with a sharp chain I never needed anything else, so I thought. We have access to several hundred acres of hardwood and mostly cut to thin out or remove storm damage. I stumbled across this site and you guys have forever changed me. I now have six saws, none in the 70cc class, but I'm looking. This year I have cut 12 - 15 cord with a 026, mostly 12'' but quite a bit of red oak with 16" to 18" butt ends. I love the little 50cc saw, light is good for me. Like some others here, I'm in my mid fortys and have had a lot of miles put on the body. I really like this site and am learning loads about saws here, thanks for the lessons

Hi Ben. Good to see you're still around.

You didn't explain yourself at first: cutting blocks from a stem is a subset of firewood work. I had more time this year, so ALL the wood I cut for me and my parents was harvested from my woods, their woods, and a few side jobs in the neighborhood. I used everything from a 2149 Jonsered to a 395XP husky, as the need arises.

I work and have a hobby farm on the side; some years I don't have time to get it all myself and order a semi-load of cull logs from a logger friend. When cutting out of a pile like that my absolute favorite saw would be my Jonsered 90, wearing a 20" bar. More than enough power to do the work; a little heavier than a 371/2171/440/460 class saw, but the weight feels compact and balances out real nice for me. (I also have a Jonsered 670 with 272 head, as well as a 625 with 268 (non-XP) head, and 625II, so I do have other choices)

Using green wood isn't the best choice in any stove, although you can get by with it pretty easy in a boiler. When its 30 or 40 below, my boiler barely keeps up burning green wood; boiling the moisture out saps too many BTU's. Green wood is OK when the weather is mild, as the smolder part of the cycle cooks out a lot of moisture. In really mild weather, green wood can actually reduce the wood consumption, as the moisture acts like a brake on the process of driving combustible gasses off; a dry wood fill will be a stove full of charcoal in 24 hrs of spring weather, and you will have captured only a little of the heat.

Of course, you can opt to throw just a stick or two in at closer intervals if you only have dry wood.

I need 10 cords/year, give or take, when burning green wood, but only around 7 when I have all seasoned wood.
Brad, your absolutely right on the green wood thing. Every year I tell myself I am going to get a 20 cord load delivered in the February and cut and split it so it dries all summer. Of course I have been going to build a proper wood shed for several years too!:dizzy:

It's great to see that no opinion is wrong when you are having fun cutting wood. The disagreements just exposes the passion we all have for what we do.

Having so many opinions and choices to choose from fuels CAD. Not a bad thing IMO!!:givebeer:

It's great to see that no opinion is wrong when you are having fun cutting wood. The disagreements just exposes the passion we all have for what we do.

Having so many opinions and choices to choose from fuels CAD. Not a bad thing IMO!!:givebeer:

Yeah.....Yeah that's what you say.

I'm right and everyone else is just plain wrong !! 90cc and up rules !!!

Merry Christmas to All !!!!!!

441 for me (70 cc camp).
Did cut firewood and fell trees a good part of the day today.
Used an 064 and a 441 for nearly all of it.

Had a 5100 a friend was considering buying. Nice saw but I prefer the 441.

PPTTHHHPPPTTHHH !!!! ( raspberry )

I'm going back to my modded ryobi and leaving you ALL suffering in your elder years with your bad backs and bad shoulders with nothing but fond memories of glory days gone by as you sit in your rocking chair, remanising of about when you was young you would limb with nothing less than a 70CC saw because it showed how much of a man you were.. eating advil and sipping a hot toddy telling the grandchildren about when men were men and a real saw weighed 20 lbs and if you couldnt cut and split 10 cord a day you was considerd a wuss..

well,it sounds like a story I would tell :)
hell,i could tell it now !!
now wheres my advil ??

I'm going back to my modded ryobi and leaving you ALL suffering in your elder years with your bad backs and bad shoulders with nothing but fond memories of glory days gone by as you sit in your rocking chair, remanising of about when you was young you would limb with nothing less than a 70CC saw because it showed how much of a man you were.. eating advil and sipping a hot toddy telling the grandchildren about when men were men and a real saw weighed 20 lbs and if you couldnt cut and split 10 cord a day you was considerd a wuss..

now wheres my advil ??

If two pounds on a saw wears you that thin, you may need to see a doctor or get some kind of supplements. Hell my 80 year old neighbor ran an 18 pound saw with no trouble.

now wheres my advil ??

If it spins your prop to use a Ryobi have at er.....
I'm thinking I'll be fine in my older years, just like every male in my family has been. Course we are'nt a bunch of panty waists....
And why is it such a stretch for you to figure out its easier on the body to block up firewood with a bigger saw?

Man,,,WHAT is it with you guys ?????????????
i went and put all that effort into something i thot was entertaining and add a little levity to the situation and maybe lighten things up and maybe bring a little smile to a face or two ,being it IS the season to be jolly and all, and WHAT do i get for my effort ?? dont ANYBODY have a sense of humor here ??.. dont anybody think the jibbs and jabbs are NOT meant to be blood letting wounds and comments are made only to get a respons in fun and maybe the poster DOES realize that THIER choice is only THIERS ,and eliciting a response to the contrary is part of the fun with NO hard feeling intended ??
guys,,i have a lot of fun on here and have learned a lot and feel like i should be able to give more but the only thing i have to give right now is to share my enjoyment and try to add to a good experiance with some light hearted posts..
SO,before hitting the "submit" button think a little about what you are replying to and remember times when you have thought a response to a post you made was inapproprite and how you felt..then remember the response you got to a well intended response that was greatfully accepted and how you felt..
i hope you all have a good holiday and realize i have never made a post to degrade or minimize anybody or thier opinion on anything..
well,,if you want to insult or bash me go ahead,,you have never seen me respond with vindictivness..
let the games begin !!!

Back