Dolmar 5100s refused warranty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can look at the bottom side of the piston and know if it was straight-gassed. If it has an oily film there was oil in the mix. Given Dolmar's problems with these saws, they should just man-up and pay for a new top-end. It isn't worth this amount of bad publicity.

:agree2: Yep, looks like they enjoy shooting themselves in the foot over this! :msp_wink:

That's cool no harm done.

Not long ago I took a set of calipers to a .325 RSC chain and a 3/8 RSC chain, there is little difference in the cutter size. The only benefit of .325 would be in smoothness and limb work, and that would be minimal. Now NK .325 is a different story, it puts less load on the saw, so it is a better setup for certain saws.

Regular .325 Oregon chain, like 21LPX, is a third story - that one has slimmer and longer cutters than the comparable 25RSC....

The only real drawback I see with .325 is that there are very few models that are really good, and lots of not so good options out there. :msp_wink:

Does anyone remember the AS user name of the Dolmar rep who used to be active here?

IIRC, he didn't stick around very long, and took a lot of flack for Dolmar's lack of dealers and even more flack for their lack of support for the few dealers they had.

I have a Dolkita 7901 and have had nothing but good service from it. However, seeing all that the OP is going through with his saw, really disappoints me in Dolmar. This should be handled at the dealer level and not require corporate intervention. All the while, the OP is without a saw. Poor business practices...

I have a Dolkita 7901 and have had nothing but good service from it. However, seeing all that the OP is going through with his saw, really disappoints me in Dolmar. This should be handled at the dealer level and not require corporate intervention. All the while, the OP is without a saw. Poor business practices...

There is nothing new with this, it has been going on for years.....:msp_rolleyes:

It may be sad , but it appears the dealer , API , and Dolmar all say it was lack of lubrication. OP says no way. I suppose this could be a mistake on DOLMARS part not to warranty. But they have to go with what they see and make the best educated determination they can. The OP is not hearing what he wants so it keeps going higher up the chain to try to satisfy him the best that can be. But when the people above get threatened by OP that he will start a class actions lawsuit and the Dept of Justice is called and the OP says he'll bad mouth DOLMAR everywhere he can . Dealers , distributors and manufacturers are not perfect were only humans , and if you treat them like crap you may get sh!t on.
And thats the Rest of the Story.

Fix the Saw.

I the OP say again:

I followed the manual to the letter. The Dealer took it apart and informed me of the scored piston.

Dug-I am not blaming the dealer, he's stuck with this corporate mess as well.

It was a 2008 saw that was bought in 2011. 2008 seems (based on the forums) was a bad year.

I don't know how long that saw was at the dealer of if is significant.

I know that I didn't cause the "lack of lubrication" and I did not abuse the saw in any way.

I think it is only fair to let them (Dolmar) know I feel they sold me a defective saw.

This is based on my careful usage and reports of many other 5100s failing with scored pistons.

Ask those users, I bet they read, followed the instructions AND the saw still failed!

THAT is why I am pushing it up the chain. They have my money. I want a working saw.

Its been two months, what would you do?

Last edited:
Would like to hear more info

I the OP say again:

I followed the manual to the letter. The Dealer took it apart and informed me of the scored piston.

It was a 2008 saw that was bought in 2011. 2008 seems (based on the forums) was a bad year.

I know that I didn't cause the "lack of lubrication" and I did not abuse the saw in any way.

I think it is only fair to let them (Dolmar) know I feel they sold me a defective saw.

This is based on my careful usage and reports of many other 5100s failing with scored pistons.

Ask those users, I bet they read, followed the instructions AND the saw still failed!

THAT is why I am pushing it up the chain. They have my money. I want a working saw.

You said in your orig Post that you used the saw 4 times in 7 months You say approved oil But never mentioned what oil you used? You say fresh gas but never mentioned what has and how fresh the mix GAS Will go bad in 30 days +/- Was there a leak down performed on the saw was the carb checked for obstructions (Sealer for welsh plugs loose and floating to block off jets) I believe the real issue to this matter is the saw may not have been run dry. And old ethanol fuel loosened up the glue ZAMA used to seal the welsh plugs and caused the saw to in turn run lean and damage the P&C. Like I said just to say scored due to lack of lube is the result not the cause. The carb needed to be checked that will give the tell tale signs of the issue along with a leak down test for a possible air leak? But my belief is ethanol damaged carb...

Scott

hi Scott

here is the original post.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/89304-41.htm

I used this oil

Low Smoke 2-Cycle Engine Oil - Lubricants

I used 89 octane gas fresh and that is what my dealer advised.

Good observation about the carb. I do run it dry, I am aware of ethanol being a HUGE problem.

I got 25 years out of my 031av using it this way, and that saw was 35+ years old.

Is anyone asking questions about the JASO oil they are making us use? Maybe that is screwing these saws (not likely)

hi Scott

here is the original post.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/89304-41.htm

I used this oil

Low Smoke 2-Cycle Engine Oil - Lubricants

I used 89 octane gas fresh and that is what my dealer advised.

Good observation about the carb. I do run it dry, I am aware of ethanol being a HUGE problem.

I got 25 years out of my 031av using it this way, and that saw was 35+ years old.

Is anyone asking questions about the JASO oil they are making us use? Maybe that is screwing these saws (not likely)

So your using NON SYNTHETIC Oil from Husky inlew of the Synthetic oil from DOLMAR Hmmm OK Well as a dealer I advise MY customers to ONLY use Synthetic Oil cause it works Better with the damn Ehhanol laced fuel we are FORCED to Buy and Use. I Still believe Your carb has loose Sealing glue from around the welsh plugs that started all this issue...

Scott

No Scott

The box in front of me says" premium SYNTHETIC BLEND with fuel stabilizer"

Husqvarna 2 cycle oil LS 6.4 oz. 2.5 gal mix. 3044 on the front and on back upc 05788 20101

on the side it says;

MEETS and EXCEEDS iso L-EGD And JASO FD.

You are right the link doesn't say it is synthetic, but the stuff in front of me does.

Bailey's - Husqvarna Low Smoke 2 Stroke Engine Oil - Case of 4 - 1 Gallon Bottles says it is a semi-synthetic blend.

Last edited:
I the OP say again:

Dug-I am not blaming the dealer, he's stuck with this corporate mess as well.

Like I've said before Dlomar gave me the exact same BS excuse "the saw didn't run at all BTW". I've honestly been to kind about the 5100 and the issues it's had. Deep down I like Dolmar saws, but the 5100 is a POS and was so from the beginning, it took what a day before issues with this saw on AS came to a head.:dizzy:

Sorry Dolmar well never gain any market share with LIES and marketing like this, and now the 7910 is what $850.00 to 900.00. Unfortunately I can't see Dolmar lasting much longer here, and it's a damn shame with the $40.00 fuel line from Stihl and the non existent local Husky support.:dizzy:

When I was new saw shopping I went to R D Faulkner in Brewer Maine. Great place, they actually are distributors for many brands in new england and atlantic canada including sachs dolmar I believe. I went there wanting a 5105.
The salesman walked me right over to a wall of efcos. They have them all and they look solid.
I said I wanted a dolmar and they said the new ones were stuffed up and they didn't recommend them.
As I was leaving I noticed the sachs dolmar saws on display were literally covered in dust. Next time I went in they went on to explain the company made it hard to get parts and they did not support there dealers. I went home and did some reading and found this site and I will never be the same,
Just thought I would share this not so brief story. Russ

Russ

I wish I knew that in 2011, when I bought my 2008 saw.

Guess I should have "dust checked it" ha

"The company (Dolmar) made it hard to get parts and they did not support there dealers". check that.

Just hope they straighten this out for you guys. There have been a lot of posts on this since I have been here. Russ

I went there wanting a 5105. The salesman walked me right over to a wall of efcos....As I was leaving I noticed the sachs dolmar saws on display were literally covered in dust.

No wonder when the salesmen walk folks over to the other brand even when the customer asks for the Dolmar. Thats just the power of persuasion at work.

Back