Ebay saw pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now is not a good time to sell on there, IMHO(too close to Christmas). After Christmas, I may put a few on. Somebody told me that starting in 2011, if you sell over ??$$ amount on there, Big Brother will be sending you a tax form. I'd like to know if that's true. Anybody heard this?
wouldn't suprise me any about the tax deal

Have you been looking? The name brand saws are bringing really good money right now.IMO I don't think christmas slowed down too many buyers. However the number of saws has went way up, maybe people selling there saws for some christmas money?
I haven't been looking in a week or so, so you may be right. Perhaps wives are buying their mates saws for Christmas? I do know that the last few I had listed should have done better. Sold a very nice Stihl 015 top-handle for like 50.00. I paid 60.00 for it(plus tax) the week before....:laugh: But I have another one of those that I'm keeping.

Now is not a good time to sell on there, IMHO(too close to Christmas). After Christmas, I may put a few on. Somebody told me that starting in 2011, if you sell over ??$$ amount on there, Big Brother will be sending you a tax form. I'd like to know if that's true. Anybody heard this?

I think I read somewhere that it's that way now but you have to sell more than $10,000 worth or something like that. I guess if they do that, some of us guys could claim a loss. Some of these old saws sell for about $15 or $20..what did they cost new? Remember, you're only taxed on your profit, not your gross.

I think I read somewhere that it's that way now but you have to sell more than $10,000 worth or something like that. I guess if they do that, some of us guys could claim a loss. Some of these old saws sell for about $15 or $20..what did they cost new? Remember, you're only taxed on your profit, not your gross.

Good point...

I just picked up a running Husky 350 for $122 with new bar and chain, which is a decent deal. But, was also bidding on a non-running (scored piston, no spark) 350 that is over $80 right now...not sure what the deal is with eBay pricing!!

I just picked up a running Husky 350 for $122 with new bar and chain, which is a decent deal. But, was also bidding on a non-running (scored piston, no spark) 350 that is over $80 right now...not sure what the deal is with eBay pricing!!

That's exactly why I'm holding back on selling a few of my better saws. I have a 350 that's close to new condition but I kinda hate to let it go for a small amount. I have a 353 also that I'll probably never expose to ebay.

i have been browsing ebay the last several days and the saw prices are way down thanks to the economy

Some Stihl dealers will not sell a "Pro level saw" or yellow chain unless you are professional or trained to use it. Ebay does not require nothing but money.

I just stopped by a new dealer in the area yesterday looking for a new 36" bar. They said I could buy the bar but not the chain. I was like "WTF". But due to libility issues they don't sell yellow chains. So I asked for the price and how long. They said $107 out the door and will be here in 3 weeks. I said I would pass. Ebay for $90.50 will be here later this week. I try to shop local when I can but for 16.50 I will do ebay and buy my chain from bailey's.

Ray

I have not looked on Ebay lately, but I just sold a Husky 372XP real quick on CL for $450. First fellow that came to look at it bought it.

I just stopped by a new dealer in the area yesterday looking for a new 36" bar. They said I could buy the bar but not the chain. I was like "WTF". But due to libility issues they don't sell yellow chains. So I asked for the price and how long. They said $107 out the door and will be here in 3 weeks. I said I would pass. Ebay for $90.50 will be here later this week. I try to shop local when I can but for 16.50 I will do ebay and buy my chain from bailey's.

Ray

I always tried to buy locally too, but it seems the locals prey on people that only buy locally. It seems the local merchants aren't always that loyal to the buyers. I buy some things locally but not to the point of getting ripped off.

My rule of thumb is: I only buy used if I can save 50% from new...Why spend $500 on a used saw without warranty to only save 10-20%?????

Here's my thoughts. 1) ebay will flag shill bidding if an item is listed and bid upon from the same ISP #. Of course this is avoided by using two accounts on a public computer and happens a lot! It's been harder and harder to find deals but what I've noticed is that items that end during "normal" hours or hours that people are around to watch and bid at the last minute go much higher. Try and have your listings end between 2-5pm on a saturday and you won't be disappointed. Just sold two 350's one ended at 1130 pm friday (went for less) and the other ended in that saturday time frame (for 50 bucks more and had a higher bid count). The olny diffeerence between them was the bar cheap one had an 18" and the expensive one had a 16".

Here's my thoughts. 1) ebay will flag shill bidding if an item is listed and bid upon from the same ISP #. Of course this is avoided by using two accounts on a public computer and happens a lot! It's been harder and harder to find deals but what I've noticed is that items that end during "normal" hours or hours that people are around to watch and bid at the last minute go much higher. Try and have your listings end between 2-5pm on a saturday and you won't be disappointed. Just sold two 350's one ended at 1130 pm friday (went for less) and the other ended in that saturday time frame (for 50 bucks more and had a higher bid count). The olny diffeerence between them was the bar cheap one had an 18" and the expensive one had a 16".

That's worth a try, thanks.

I list my saws so the auction ends on Tuesday around 7:30 or there abouts. I have had good results with that. I think that a guy who needs a saw is more likely to be on the computer at that time. Over the weekend, He's out in the woods wearing out his saw. Monday, he's tearing it down and finding out it's either shot, or needs parts. Tuesday after work, he's shopping. I can't back that up with any hard evidence JMO.But like I said, I've usully had good returns that way.

I list my saws so the auction ends on Tuesday around 7:30 or there abouts. I have had good results with that. I think that a guy who needs a saw is more likely to be on the computer at that time. Over the weekend, He's out in the woods wearing out his saw. Monday, he's tearing it down and finding out it's either shot, or needs parts. Tuesday after work, he's shopping. I can't back that up with any hard evidence JMO.But like I said, I've usully had good returns that way.

Never heard of that logic before. Glad it works for you. Most saws I have seen going for top dollar end during the evening on Weekend. I have found that good deals can be had on one-day auctions ending during a week day afternoon.

On e-bay - if it is Orange, it will sell at a premium.

I was watching McCulloch's a couple weeks ago while looking for parts.
I was a running Pro 610 in good shape go for $60.

I need one like I need another hole in the head, so I refrained.
Now if I saw a deal on a 70-80cc like that, I would be all over it.

I've been trying to sell a few of my saws on ebay so I can afford to keep the others and perhaps add to my collection. Anyway, I've been watching saw prices on ebay and something doesn't add up.. You can generally get high prices from Stihl, Husky, Dolmar and sometimes Echo but the rest don't seem to have a consistent price. I saw a Poulan XXV (non running) go for about $150 while others generally go for about $20. A perfectly good running Poulan 2000 went for just over $10. I had a Homelite XL12 sell for over $90 and I put a nicer XL12 on there and didn't get nearly as much. I realize it's an auction but can't believe the variation in prices.

May I suggest you post a link to one of your ads if you're open to critique? I buy a lot on ebay and have sold a bit, and I can tell you, the ad makes ALL the difference in the world. I'm not saying it's your problem, but we can all improve. I sold some coins on there and got a disappointing price. I checked out the ads of other sellers who were getting more, and learned a few things. Went back and sold more of the exact same coins and did a lot better. I got such a good deal on a chainsaw recently that I honestly felt bad. But the guy's ad was terrible and he made the saw sound way worse than it actually was. I read between the lines and scored an awesome deal.

Small things like when your auction ends make a big difference too. I cruise late on weeknights and get awesome deals on all types of things at 1 or 2 in the morning. BAD time to have your ad end if you're a seller. Sunday afternoon is prime. I got a like new Sony 9" Portable DVD player with remote, car charger, 110V charger, original package and even the unfilled-out warranty car for 18 bucks (free shipping too :D) a couple weeks ago.

On e-bay - if it is Orange, it will sell at a premium.

I was watching McCulloch's a couple weeks ago while looking for parts.
I was a running Pro 610 in good shape go for $60.

I need one like I need another hole in the head, so I refrained.
Now if I saw a deal on a 70-80cc like that, I would be all over it.

This is true. It's one of the reasons I gravitated to Redmax when I got back into sawing. Some very good saws go at some very low prices. But I'm truly impressed with the saws now too.

Back