Echo chain saws..which one to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacoDustin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking a several Echo chain saws. I'm looking at the cs 590,490, 450 and 400. I was initially looking at the 590 with a 18" bar. It seems like a great cutter for the money. It is not in there pro line though. I was told to look at a 400 and 490 by a friend. They look decent. I worry that the 400 would be under powered. I had a 40cc Craftsman that would stall the chain...even new. It was weak. The 450 seems like a semi pro saw with the aluminium handle and such. Does the 450 have a better longer lasting engine and clutch than the others I'm looking at? I want something that will last me for 15+ years. My use is 4-6 hours a month. I would use it to get firewood and clean up after a storm. It would be used on a mix of Cedar, Oak and Maple.
Thanks,
Dustin

The 590 is a terrific saw. Only a few things different from the pro line. Spur vs rim sprocket, plastic vs aluminum handle and not a pro grade bar. If you don't mind the weight, you will love the saw. The 500 and 501 may be worth looking at. A little less performance but will be much more comfortable to run. Probably about 3 lbs. less. A good 50cc saw will do just about anything you need. If you feel you want the extra power, definitely the 590. Several of my friends have them. Great performance at a great price.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Check out the 501.

It is much more satisfying running a sports car than a sedan.

And I agree, a proper 50cc saw is the sweet spot for power and handling (in small wood, that is). 16-18" bar max... 20" bars on 50cc saws are ridiculous, imo. Why turn a sports car into a sedan??

Check out the 501.

It is much more satisfying running a sports car than a sedan.

And I agree, a proper 50cc saw is the sweet spot for power and handling. 16-18" bar max... 20" bars on 50cc saws are ridiculous, imo. Why turn a sports car into a sedan??
I've run a 20" bar on my cs520 since new. Probably about 10 yrs. now. Never had a problem running it. I know I could get more from a shorter bar but like you said, it's the sweet spot for me. You know how it is holeycow. Changing bar length sucks! Much easier to buy a new saw with the proper bar already in place.

You try a 16" on that and you will be shocked..perhaps.

I finally convinced a friend of mine to put a smaller bar on his ms362 (I suggested 18, he went with 20, oh well). The 20 puts his 24 to shame for handling and rippiness. Rippiness; new word. Ha!

This infatuation with long bars on little saws is strange to me, but to each his own.

I have tried long-ish bars on small-ish saws. Not for me.

I have no experience with recent Echo saws so can't offer a suggestion.

Haven't seen anything on the size of the wood you want to cut....that has a lot to do with appropriate saw.

Echo is running one day events around the country that offer 20% off. Listed on their website under promotions. Listing seems to change over time, nothing in Texas currently but keep checking.

If you're not cutting big stuff, want low weight and keep purchase price down then the CS400 with a muffler mod and retune is a little beast.

Nothing bigger than 40" diameter as far as wood size. It will be Oak, Maple and Cedar.

590. When you wear out the spur sprocket you can convert to a rim drive easily. Buy as powerful a saw as you can afford. Only reasons to go small are if you're weak, using it all day everyday on small stuff, or are climbing with it.

I bought a 590 and was really impressed stock. After porting it was a little powerhouse. If I had to do it over I'd bought a 620pw. U get the rim sprocket which I upgraded my 590 to, a magnesium clutch cover, aluminum handlebar, dual dogs and large bar nuts.

Nothing bigger than 40" diameter as far as wood size. It will be Oak, Maple and Cedar.

Wow! 40" is a chunk of tree. I didn't realize Texas grew them that big!:surprised3: For that you'll need to be able to pull a 24" bar or bigger. I'd say that pretty much rules out all the saws you originally listed. Unless all the wood is that big you may be into looking at a 2 saw combo. A saw that will really run a bar that big gets old for smaller stuff (at least for me). What range and mix of sizes are you talking?

i would rank a 620 at the top-- followed by a 590.

echo makes good small saws like the 400 and the 450 if you muffler mod and re-tune them.

the 590 is still the most saw for the least money out there.

the 590 will cut big timber where the little saws will be a PITA for that.

if you can find a 'deal" and they do come along on the 620 -- i wouldn't pass it up.

the only other saws i like in the price range is the dolmar/makita 6100 and sometimes you can get quite a deal on those as well.

I think that 40" is the worst case. 95% are in the 20"-25" range. The 590 looks like a great saw. Would you pick that one over the 501? The 501 is lighter, much more nimble...but having 60cc of tree cutting badass would be sick. 590 vs 501 oh the choices. I'm about 5'10" and 200 lbs. I'm not a large guy by any stretch. I handled a 590 with a 20" bar in a store, I felt fine with it. A bit heavy but not bad. Any saw I get will have an 18" bar. 60cc with 18" bar would have crazy good power...

I think that 40" is the worst case. 95% are in the 20"-25" range. The 590 looks like a great saw. Would you pick that one over the 501? The 501 is lighter, much more nimble...but having 60cc of tree cutting badass would be sick. 590 vs 501 oh the choices. I'm about 5'10" and 200 lbs. I'm not a large guy by any stretch. I handled a 590 with a 20" bar in a store, I felt fine with it. A bit heavy but not bad. Any saw I get will have an 18" bar. 60cc with 18" bar would have crazy good power...
The 590 definitely is a good choice. The extra power is good if you want to run a longer bar. Both good choices. If you're drawn more to the 590, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I haven't looked at the newer echo saws......but, the 490 is the same size engine size as the 501. Not sure what the 501 has that makes it worth another $70. If almost all of your cutting is 20" and up (to as much as 40"), then the 590 would seem the logical choice. That said, i used a 50cc saw as my only saw for a number of years and cut a lot of sizeable wood with it.

Egads! If I was cutting 95% 25" stuff I would want 70cc or more to run that 24" bar.

5'10" and 200lbs should carry any saw. Ha!

Unless you're fluffy..Ha!

From research alone I thought thay the 501 could be a Ferrari saw. You know, one that handles and goes. Well worth 70 bux, Imo. If it really is a factory hotrod, then 70 dollars is cheap for a porting/performance upgrade. Cheap.

Too small to deal with 20" and up wood on a regular basis tho.

Dolmar 6400? Can be made bigger if necessary.

a good 60cc will cut 24" and larger all day long. i don't get where folks get a 60 won't cut ?? don't know how to sharpen??

a 24" ain't considered big even for pulpwood.

Latest posts

Back