Echo cs8000 or husky xp390 or stihl 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could probably find a Jonsered 2188 for less than 1100 easy, and its the same saw as the 390xp, just red and black.

uhh, not really the same saws, the jonnyred has a different front handle angle, a lesser quality air filter (not heavy duty). And most of all the jonnyreds are very hard to spot in the brush after I take a crap near the end of the day cutten on a strip. Stupid black top covers, my rant is over:bang:

Well bit the bullet and did it today,,,ordered a 660 with a 32" bar and
rmc semi-chisel chain, hope the old man can handle it LOL...

Will now have 3 saws with a lot of diff bar sizes, hence more options, am
going to run the 24" bar on 660 for now and keep the 32" handy in case
i run into a really big stumps, been getting a lot of them lately..

Thx everybody for all ur suggestions and help..

Bob..:cheers:

:clap:

A little harsh?

Somebody is a little harsh on the red and black saws. The handles are a personal preference thing, as for the air filter, your right, they are smaller, but thats the way they have been forever in Sweden, the humpback husky are mostly a US only thing supposedly because we are to lazy to clean the smaller ones frequently enough. (Not my thought, but what I was told by a high up guy in NC) Personally I think the air filter on the 757 Shindaiwa is the coolest thing going.

8000 echo

I haven't read the posts.

I have run 3 CS8000 echos and all are dogs for their motor size compared to stihl. The 044 will out perform it much less the 066.
DT

Picked up my new 660 magnum yesterday, have not had a chance to use it yet, i hope
it will not be as nose heavy when i switch to the 24" bar, i am only going to use the 32"
bar on very large stumps, hope i have not bit off more than i can chew LOL..

Will get back when i use the saw and let everybody know my impressions, going to
start it up tomorrow just to hear it run..

Bob...:cheers:

Picked up my new 660 magnum yesterday, have not had a chance to use it yet, i hope
it will not be as nose heavy when i switch to the 24" bar, i am only going to use the 32"

Will get back when i use the saw and let everybody know my impressions, going to

Hope you love it. Glad you went with either the Stihl or the Husky, think you will like it over the Echo. Not that the 8000 is a bad saw, you just get more grunt out of the bigger saws.

I haven't read the posts.

I have run 3 CS8000 echos and all are dogs for their motor size compared to stihl. The 044 will out perform it much less the 066.
DT

About 3 years ago I ran my CS8000 against one of my 044 saws , in bigger wood the 044 took 19 seconds , the CS8000 took 14 seconds. Same results yesterday with brand new chiesel chain off the same roll, in smaller wood they were about even. Also ran the CS8000 against my 385xp and Dolmar 7900 , at the best about a 2 second difference in a 20 second cut. Steve

About 3 years ago I ran my CS8000 against one of my 044 saws , in bigger wood the 044 took 19 seconds , the CS8000 took 14 seconds. Same results yesterday with brand new chiesel chain off the same roll, in smaller wood they were about even. Also ran the CS8000 against my 385xp and Dolmar 7900 , at the best about a 2 second difference in a 20 second cut. Steve

That 8000 responds wonderful to a muffler mod, like a different machine once it can breathe.

one dollar

uhh, not really the same saws, the jonnyred has a different front handle angle, a lesser quality air filter (not heavy duty). And most of all the jonnyreds are very hard to spot in the brush after I take a crap near the end of the day cutten on a strip. Stupid black top covers, my rant is over:bang:

Seems like you could fix that black top cover with a buck store rattle can of like some fluorescent orange paint.

...just sayin'... that's a non problem, lost gear in the weeds. Marking paint is just a good idea if that happens to you a lot. Also might help discourage back of the truck snatch and grab thieves.

Myself, don't think of "resale" value on my working tools much. They are *tools* not latte, wine an cheese crowd effete art objects.

You will find the 660 to be a very good saw. Consider adding a dual port muffler cover. Talk to your dealer - with a new saw do not want to cause warranty issues. The 660 also reacts very well to modification.

Hal

I own and have modded both. The 660 is torquier than the 390 in both stock and ported variations. For stumping, I want a saw that I can put my hip against and lean on it. Stumping is exhausting and hard work. The 660 will serve you best for what you need.

Late chiming in here so congrats on your 660. It will be a great saw. IMO a good stump saw is the cheapest, good running 80+cc saw you can find. I use an 064. They tend to get beat on a bit more than other saws to say the least. Full-skip, semi-chisel is the bees knees for chain IMO, even on shorter bars like a 24.

Heyyy just curious if you have used your new saw yet and if so, how do u like it?

Congrats on the new purchase and you can't go wrong with either the 660 or 390XP. I've owned and run both while stumping (all modified) and the 660's certainly have the torque but are not as nice to use by a long shot (unless you have orange and white blood then they are of course the best ;)).
The 660's are also extremely heavy on fuel too, even in stock form. Out of interest my ported 390XP will flog a stock 660 yet only uses about 60% of the fuel - yep even I have a hard time believing it and this was compared against two brand new 660's.
However the main reason I would recommend a 660 (despite me favouring the 390's) is that the new Stihl HD2 filter is WAY ahead of the current Husky offering and stumping makes dust. Also with the powerhead down near ground level you want as little dust as possible making it into the motor and yes unoiled Husky felt filters on the 390XP WILL past fine dust straight through the filter material - I have to oil all of mine. Husky need to do something fast to catch up in my opinion as far as filters go - it's not that hard to fit a dry paper element like Stihl and Dolmar have done...

Heyyy just curious if you have used your new saw yet and if so, how do u like it?

Have not had a job for it yet, just smaller stumps, but i did start it up in the garage just
to hear it run, awesome...i am in the process of changing out jackshaft bearings on the
sc252 right now, allmost done, and starting to get some mowing jobs, things will be
picking up by the first of march, have a great day..

Update on ms660

Got to use my 660 today for first time, had 4 large stumps to do one was
over 48 inches, i ground all the roots up to the trunk and then cut the top
off with the 660, chunk was so heavy had to pull off with the truck, wow i
was really impressed, saw has quite a bit of kickback, had to be really careful,
but was able to handle it ok for an old man, with the 32 inch bar was able to
go around stump in one motion, this is going to make a big difference on the
large stumps, which i have been getting a lot of lately, i am one happy stumpgrinder..

Bob...:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_thumbsup::cheers:

Back