Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
145108e687da66ff27e6b3ab5424a14a.jpg
c9f5116e4af0e490b4395af46799734b.jpg

Here's the ones of Cody's I had saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the angled undercut, would it turn the tree better had the backcut been at the same angle?

Nope, if the tree is big or stringy enough.

Said the blind man to the deaf bugger.

*ETA* was the siz in that bottom pic doing anything? Looks like the fibres didn't pull forward into the siz so how much extra hanging on/steering did they actually do? A bit more from the taller hinge down that side but not as much as if they actually did hold on longer?
It was a rotten Black Cottonwood, he threw the siz in to give himself all the help he could get.

145108e687da66ff27e6b3ab5424a14a.jpg
c9f5116e4af0e490b4395af46799734b.jpg

Here's the ones of Cody's I had saved.

Yup, this is a "full-face" Siz. Big, long fiber column -- lined up with a root in a sound tree -- it'll pull hard!

It's really just a tapered block-face; the goal being to allow the fibers in the hinge maximum flex.

You can also bore in behind the face too. It sets up a tall hinge, 'mucho flexo'. Good for dead or fragile/brittle fiber.

If you look at his again it's full width

I guess it's close on that one, I've been with him when he's put them in, & usually they're not full across, & more "regular face" is left.

I reckon there's a million variations though.

Always room to experiment! :0)

I guess it's close on that one, I've been with him when he's put them in, & usually they're not full across, & more "regular face" is left.

I reckon there's a million variations though.

Always room to experiment! :0)

You glad busy with fires over there this year?

Ok, for the dumbass. You put the sis-wedge on the pulling side to let the tree go further before the fibers twist and break?

Edit: any reason it couldn't be combined with a soft Dutch on the lean side?

I do it all the time, as well as cut the hold wood on the off side from the face.

I've found that plunging in an inch or two behind and parallel to the siz on crap wood like cotton wood helps a great deal, like a second siz, Glen aka trampbusheler showed a pic of this once, had to try it

Always liked Glen's full face Dutchmen, you guys have taught me a lot as well as the older guys I've cut with

Back