Favorite Saw brand??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Saw Brand

• Total voters
It was done for decades by many men. My 59 year old rancher/catskinner/firewood cutter friend cuts far more than 20 cords a year...........and ALL he uses is old Homelites. The 'newest' designs he runs are 750's and 360's. Most of his cutting is done with XL900 series and XP series saws. He even runs the OLD gear drives for ripping and pulling long bars. Most of what he cuts is BIG coastal Eucalyptus.

I cut a few cords of wood a year at most right now.........since I moved into a house without wood heat. Mostly use my firewood for campfires and give the rest away to folks that need it. For my needs, an old Homelite, McCulloch, or Poulan suits me just fine. If I was cutting more, then the 'modern' saws I mentioned would be a higher priority. The poll just asked for your favorite brand. Didn't state any timeframe or particular usage....:clap:

I shoulda said "anymore" lol! Trust me I got a ton of time on the faithful ground pounders, the PL4 expired but the XL still runs like a watch, both got put thru the paces of firewooding :rock:

attachment.php

I voted other

This is what I am looking for from now on, this brand -> "cheap, used, running, or close to it"

With that said, I am growing fond of the "somewhat" older to older Poulans, the 70s to 90s stuff. But, I went with my first choice in the poll. "Other"

Echo. Stihl in second place, falling farther back and almost lost in the dust. :smile2:

Last edited:
Stihl has my vote. I am starting to warm up to dolmar but it may take a little more time.

I am a stihl guy but when it come to clearing branches from a felling where you start and stop your saw 500 times to drag branches away I love my echo cs 400 One pull on the starter and your cutting again. It's a light powerful saw and a joy to use after you muffler mod it and adjust the carb. But for the brunt of the work I rely on my Stihls.

hmmmmm....you are under review.
BIZ30-007.gif

:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey, while I am under review, take into consideration, over half my collection predates me by 2 or 3 decades:laugh:. The saws that dont have chainbrakes outnumber the ones that do:D.

Honest Brian. I didn't have anything to do with Randy seeing your post and revoking your status.....:D

Still not ashamed:tongue2:.

Well, for what it's worth, Husqvarna+Jonsered is now ahead of Stihl in the poll (at roughly 33% versus 30%). :rock:

On the other hand, when we add in Dolmar we see that the German saws are ahead of the Swedish saws. (Det var synd!) :(

While polls like these are fun, I suppose we should all just be happy that there are so many great saws to choose from. :msp_thumbup:

Doug

Back