First Top Handle!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there! I've been climbing with an instructor for about a year and I've been branching off and doing my own odd jobs. I mainly do a lot of trimming/canopy cleanup, and the handsaw (and the few times i've brought a rear handle up) just aren't doing it anymore. I've been looking for a cheap first top handle saw and was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on the 3 in my area. They're all on craigslist.

1st is a Stihl MS 191T, runs great, doesn't appear to be that worn/worked, guy was asking $175 OBO. I know these saws are nightmares to work on.
2nd is a older but real clean Stihl 015 that needs a pull cord (Stihl 015 Chain saw with case) have no idea on this one, is it heavier with the steel housing?
3rd is a Stihl 020 (Stihl 020 Chain saw) with steel housing also.

How would you place these saws overall in weight, performance, value, ect... What do you think would be the best bet to go for here?

Thanks!

For $175 I wouldn't go near that 191T. You didn't mention price on the others but unless they were next to free I'd pass again.

Wait until you come across at least the Stihl 020T or the venerable 200T. You will be much happier in the long run.

IF you have to have one the 191T is the best option but I'm not to sure on the price.

The 015 and 020 AV are not climber friendly. They would work ok from a bucket but very heavy.

I had an 015 and while it was a great running saw the ergonomics of the handle trying to cut one handed was a disaster waiting t o happen. The 020AV I think would be even worse as it is bigger than the 015 as it seems.

I have an 020AV here but it does not currently run. I have it listed on ebay now for $0.01 to give you an idea it is somethign I just don't want.

Stihl 020T or 200T is your best proven option if you can get one. There are several others out there with Top handle saws but all I run is the 200T now.

I used to have an 019T which is simaliar to the 191T I believe and I really liked that saw and others said it was tought to work on but it never let me down.

So if condition of this 191T is in really good shape and runs well and you have the know how to repair things then it might not be to far out of line to buy as a first top handle unit until you can upgrade. I woul dpush for a lower price though unless it was like new.

I wouldn't be afraid of the 192t due to complication in working on it. I can have mine completely apart and back together within a couple of hours. At $175 though, it seems steep for that grade of saw. From my understanding, if you were to spend right the first time and put the money toward a good 200t, you will not regret it and will likely get many years of pro use from it. I like my 192, haven't run a 200, but have read up alot and that seems to be the consensus. I will say my stock 192 likes a 12" bar better than 14" based on the power available.

Here we go...I am an experienced small engine mechanic, eBay surfer, and a veteran woodsman. I am done with my climbing rig. retirement will do that. Still, I am looking for a small limbing saw, that i can reach out and use 1-handed, so the weight is the issue. Stihls are great, just expensive. Are there other brands that offer reasonable options? I like the Swedish saws, and know enough to avoid the big box junk...Echo, Husqvarna, Jonsered seem to have home-owner grade machines that are glamourous, yet unreliable. Any suggestions for a guy who doesn't need to spend $675 to be pleased.??

The echo cs-341 is the best top handle saw for the money, and it is a trusty, reliable saw. They start right up, but not gonna have the power of the bigger stihl rivals. They are comfortable to run one handed

Bought an older Echo cs 280 evl last year , there nimble and powerful , paid 20€ for it , runs great !

Thanks, however, I have no intention of buying a chainsaw from France. I don't know what a C with an equal sign thru it means, nor do I wish to calculate what it would cost in dollars, the currency of America. I'll stick with American products that aren't built with metric fasteners.........

.... I'll stick with American products that aren't built with metric fasteners.........
Well then you won't be able to buy anything at all, because all modern made chainsaws are metric! Welcome to the real world!

Back to topic: Personally I run a Oleo Mac GS 260 = Efco MT2600 which is identical to the Zenoah G2500. I like it a lot and use it quite often in a tree. You can see here a vid of it's performance when still brand new compared to a Stihl 180. Of course the Stihl has 7cc/~1hp more! The wood is sophora japonica and similar to red oak in hardness.

I am mostly retired from climbing but used a Stihl 019T. It is light and did everything I needed to do with it. The 020 you mentioned would be fine if it was an 020T but as others said, not if it's an 020AV. Those are two very different models. (one is 1114 family and the other 1129 family.) I just disassembled an 020AV yesterday and they are quite heavy. I didn't "trim" trees, only did takedowns and I was surprised by how few cuts I typically did on a removal. I don't think I ever took down a tree that used an entire tank of fuel. Just get what will work for you and what you can afford. If you are bidding appropriately, you should be able to cover the cost of any top handle saw in one job. Based on that, don't "settle" but get what's best for your situation.

the lil echos always start great anti vibe ...or a new 192 t is around 300 here....get pro chains keep emm sharp....

The 192 is an ok saw to start out with, just keep a sharp chain, clean filter, and good mix in it and you'll be fine. I see them going for less money than the saws your looking at, they were only 3 and change new from the dealer. The 200T would be the best saw to buy but also the biggest investment. What does your instructor use, what's his thoughts?

Try the Echo CS-355T. Great saw, can be picked up used for pretty reasonable - $300 or less. Very comfortable, strong, and well balanced. Love mine!

Thanks to all you guys for your kind input; no disrespect was intending in my remarks about the metric fasteners. I was unaware that this forum was open to the planet.......which makes sense since most of the good saws are built in Europe......and they have trees.

I am surfing eBay. I keep seeing the older 011AV top handles at reasonable prices.......should I simply steer clear of these old "AV" models all together? The ECHO's are still well over $300, used............and I know little about the Jonsered's, other than that they also have a homeowner line........along with a commercial line of serious saws. How about the Hitachi products? Consumer Reports puts them at the top..........

Thanks to all you guys for your kind input; no disrespect was intending in my remarks about the metric fasteners. I was unaware that this forum was open to the planet.......which makes sense since most of the good saws are built in Europe......and they have trees.

I am surfing eBay. I keep seeing the older 011AV top handles at reasonable prices.......should I simply steer clear of these old "AV" models all together? The ECHO's are still well over $300, used............and I know little about the Jonsered's, other than that they also have a homeowner line........along with a commercial line of serious saws. How about the Hitachi products? Consumer Reports puts them at the top..........
If it were me I'd leave those old AV models alone but you live and learn so you do what you think is best. Just remember, in most cases you get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back