First Top Handle!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back with more of the same questions for you guys. Having been educated as to homeowner brands, I want to thank you for your patience with my inquires. I have learned that while J-Red/Husky are solid brands, and build great saws, they also offer big box store units, built in the same facility as Poulan. 3 colors, same mechanicals........home-owner-grade saws.

As I continue to key-poke over on eBay, I am learning more about tandem brands. Makita is built by Sachs-Dolmar? or vice-versa. Are these Makita saws any good, OR do they fall under the same description; homeowner grade? How about Hitachi/Tanaka? When I see a saw for under $150, NIBWT, should I assume that its a homeowner-grade unit that will have like short comings? There are plenty of Consumer Report charts to support Hitachi as being an excellent product......I always thought Hitachi made reel-to-reel tape recorders, and Tanaka made electric pianos..........................

Captain Bruce, huh? What are you Captain of? The Arrogance Society of upper Michigan. I'd strongly suggest you do a little more reading, and learning, and little less grandstanding, and spouting off on subjects you know little, or nothing about based on your ill conceived bias.
Also, when you ask a question, and someone obviously more knowledgeable than yourself gives you an answer, try not to be such a condescending wanker.

Understood. May I ask that you correct me with more specific examples? I see where my tone may have given a poor reflection of my character. As to actual mechanical stats., can you direct me as to how best approach a "good" saw for under 200 bucks, that won't turn out to be something I should have avoided? Thanks again, Jon. I will go back to my plate of crow.....................

Well.......I suppose your response(s) to the answers given to your question about air leaks would make for a fine example of your perceived arrogance. You ask;
Here's another question for the expert mechanics.......in all my years of going thru an engine, I've never heard of "air leaks" being a problem. Apparently, chainsaws can develop leaks at the crank seals, with regular occurrence.....is this some sort of odd-ball problem, re-call issue, etc.........OR is it a very common problem? I've done leak-down tests on drag race engines...........yet never imagine a little 2-stoke engine could also develop such an issue. Search eBay for chainsaw air leak.....there's dozens of them!
Then show some arrogance;
Thanks Brian...I am actually just asking for learned opinions from other tree service professionsals like myself.....as to the newer top-handle models. I am not sure how things work down there....up here in Michigan/Ontario, those little Homelites, McCullochs, Craftsmans, Poulans.....are considered pure junk, and useless. Whenever one is donated, by a picker or customer, I simply toss it on the scrap pile, and it goes to the junkyard. They aren't worth a pinch of coon sh*t. If there is a genuine market for these old turds, let me know where to send them........theres probably a dozen in the pile................................
Then are given an answer;
regarding the air leaks on saws, this is an issue because as part of the running process the crankcase get pressure and vacuum put on it as the fuel/air charge goes through it. If there are any air leaks, the saw will not run correctly because it can pull non carbureted air in, leaning out the mixture and causing engine damage.
To which you reply with added condescension;
Thanks for your input; I was asking about air leaks earlier, soley because I see the term repeatedly, on eBay.....where Poulans, Craftsman, Homelites, and other junk saws, are vended. I put 2 and 2 together when I realized its only an issue for poorly designed engines. As to your providing an explanation, thanks again,.......I think that theory is already an understanding for any guy who took Shop Class.
Then you are given more information;
Well, it isn't an issue for poorly designed engines. It can and does affect any two stroke engine no matter how much it costs. Age and wear are the primary issues.
Only to come back, and let us all know how great, and experieced you are, uet you've never heard of an "air leak";
I understand completely; I'm a licensed small engine mechanic. Where this started was over in a thread "Jonsered vs. Husqvarna". I learned that the homeowner grade J-Reds and Huskys, are identical to/made in the same factory, and the low-end Poulans, etc. I was even shown parts break-downs from several like-minded mechanics....pointing out cheese-ball quality rubber donut seals used in the POULANS/J-REDS, and HUSKYS that are vended at the big box level. SO, to reinterate...poor quality, poor design. I see you are a Stihl collector, as am I. Thankfully, we don't face the air leak issue with the frequency of the $200 saw owners who "went to ACE".

By the way Poulan made some of the best Top Handle saws in the market for years. Research the S25CVA, or any of the 2.0-2.5 CVA variants. The power to weight ratio, and anti vibe was unparalelled, and during that era no other manufacturer made a better top handle.

I'm back with more of the same questions for you guys. Having been educated as to homeowner brands, I want to thank you for your patience with my inquires. I have learned that while J-Red/Husky are solid brands, and build great saws, they also offer big box store units, built in the same facility as Poulan. 3 colors, same mechanicals........home-owner-grade saws.

As I continue to key-poke over on eBay, I am learning more about tandem brands. Makita is built by Sachs-Dolmar? or vice-versa. Are these Makita saws any good, OR do they fall under the same description; homeowner grade? How about Hitachi/Tanaka? When I see a saw for under $150, NIBWT, should I assume that its a homeowner-grade unit that will have like short comings? There are plenty of Consumer Report charts to support Hitachi as being an excellent product......I always thought Hitachi made reel-to-reel tape recorders, and Tanaka made electric pianos..........................
Have i have a homeowner saw. Poulan pro 46cc 5 years later its still running strong used at least 3 times a week and many tanks at a time. No leaks no carb rebuilds. Just fuel lines chains and a bar. Short lived is all in the build of the saw plated cylinder or not used often enough to stay fresh or sit for months at a time. Homeowners also dont care bout there stuff like new plugs charp chains oil mix. Ive had cheep saws run a long time ive had good saw still running too.

Yeah il run all these. The poulan with the pipe gets used all the time and still wont blow up.

Attachments

• 1428076892388.jpg
    1428076892388.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 21
Well.......I suppose your response(s) to the answers given to your question about air leaks would make for a fine example of your perceived arrogance. You ask;

Then show some arrogance;

Then are given an answer;

To which you reply with added condescension;

Then you are given more information;

Only to come back, and let us all know how great, and experieced you are, uet you've never heard of an "air leak";

By the way Poulan made some of the best Top Handle saws in the market for years. Research the S25CVA, or any of the 2.0-2.5 CVA variants. The power to weight ratio, and anti vibe was unparalelled, and during that era no other manufacturer made a better top handle.

Hi Jon: I have a better understanding now. I am a funny guy. Your are a guy with feelings. Go back to the start, and look at what made you feel bad.......

A. I've never heard of "air leaks".......referring to the notion that tearing apart, a chainsaw engine, to replace poorly designed seals.....is a waste of a guys personal time. I'd do so if I was paid; but to devote a day to a chain saw engine? I'd rather just buy another. The air leak phrase is so common on eBay, that it gives the impression that there are alot of cheap saws with seal issues, for sale. That was news to me......Its part of the description template!

B. My response to "Brian" was meant to put a grin on HIS face......Homelites are looked upon, as junk saws. Period. Nothing arrogant about my sharing that understanding. The last time I checked, your name is Jon, not Brian.

C. Than another fellow mechanic offers a shop teacher explanation to a forum filled with mechancis who all graduated, and are now also.................... shop teachers.........aka, everybody knows that...HA!

D. "I was even shown parts break-downs from several like-minded mechanics....pointing out cheese-ball quality rubber donut seals used in the POULANS/J-REDS, and HUSKYS that are vended at the big box level. SO, to reinterate...poor quality, poor design."......is an indirect quote, from another mechanic, and he was even thorough enough to provide the parts break-down displaying the suspect donut seals. He refers to them as....seals that will last 5 minutes.... I was simply thanking him, and sharing his knowledge of an example of poor design/poor quality. Go read the feed......You probably missed that, being feeling mad, and all.

E. Finally, you lay your cards on the table. You own a Poulan, you are trying to make money selling a Poulan. I am "criticizing" your saw of choice. I am not interested in the history of any chainsaw line. I simply want to purchase a nice little top handle. Somewhere along the way, I had fun with the responses. I especially enjoy the pictures of the members, and Brian chose a picture of a round Southern fella with suspenders and a headlite.....now thats a guy with a sense of humour!.........................and than theres Jon..............who had a hot-flash.

Have a pleasant weekend......and please don't use this forum like your Facebook page.........its not all about Jon.

Here we go...I am an experienced small engine mechanic, eBay surfer, and a veteran woodsman.
If you're so smart, why are you here?

Thanks, however, I have no intention of buying a chainsaw from France. I don't know what a C with an equal sign thru it means, nor do I wish to calculate what it would cost in dollars, the currency of America. I'll stick with American products that aren't built with metric fasteners.........
Good luck finding a chainsaw, then.

Here's another question for the expert mechanics.......in all my years of going thru an engine, I've never heard of "air leaks" being a problem.
Really? Why are you asking the experts, you are a "licensed small engine mechanic?" Lol

I understand completely; I'm a licensed small engine mechanic.
If you understood completely, you wouldn't be here asking questions.

Someone has drank the Kool-aid....
Someone has clearly not done their research...

I clearly have less experience with the issues that render a saw non-running. I'm more the guy who throws a carb kit, fuel lines, and pick-up at a unit...
And here I thought you were an expert? There is another member here who might be able to help you, he goes by Valley Firewood.

Thanks for your input.................
You're welcome.

Oh, and there's this cool feature on this site where you can search for topics...
image.jpg

You should try it. Or Google.

Hi Jon: I have a better understanding now. I am a funny guy. Your are a guy with feelings. Go back to the start, and look at what made you feel bad.......

A. I've never heard of "air leaks".......referring to the notion that tearing apart, a chainsaw engine, to replace poorly designed seals.....is a waste of a guys personal time. I'd do so if I was paid; but to devote a day to a chain saw engine? I'd rather just buy another. The air leak phrase is so common on eBay, that it gives the impression that there are alot of cheap saws with seal issues, for sale. That was news to me......Its part of the description template!

B. My response to "Brian" was meant to put a grin on HIS face......Homelites are looked upon, as junk saws. Period. Nothing arrogant about my sharing that understanding. The last time I checked, your name is Jon, not Brian.

C. Than another fellow mechanic offers a shop teacher explanation to a forum filled with mechancis who all graduated, and are now also.................... shop teachers.........aka, everybody knows that...HA!

D. "I was even shown parts break-downs from several like-minded mechanics....pointing out cheese-ball quality rubber donut seals used in the POULANS/J-REDS, and HUSKYS that are vended at the big box level. SO, to reinterate...poor quality, poor design."......is an indirect quote, from another mechanic, and he was even thorough enough to provide the parts break-down displaying the suspect donut seals. He refers to them as....seals that will last 5 minutes.... I was simply thanking him, and sharing his knowledge of an example of poor design/poor quality. Go read the feed......You probably missed that, being feeling mad, and all.

E. Finally, you lay your cards on the table. You own a Poulan, you are trying to make money selling a Poulan. I am "criticizing" your saw of choice. I am not interested in the history of any chainsaw line. I simply want to purchase a nice little top handle. Somewhere along the way, I had fun with the responses. I especially enjoy the pictures of the members, and Brian chose a picture of a round Southern fella with suspenders and a headlite.....now thats a guy with a sense of humour!.........................and than theres Jon..............who had a hot-flash.

Have a pleasant weekend......and please don't use this forum like your Facebook page.........its not all about Jon.

So much for you being able to handle a succinct answer to any of your "questions".
Your arrogant, narcissistic, condescending attitude is what I took, and continue to take exception to.

You are just one of a few recent "know it all" goobers who have made their presence known here, and hopefully like the others, yours will be brief as well.

By the way, I'd suggest you learn the difference between "than", and "then". You will still be an arrogant clown, but your running diatribes will make a little more sense.

Oh, and before I forget, the Poulan I have for sale here in the Trading Post is a 3800. Which is a rear handled 60cc saw, and not one of the top handle variants I referenced in my earlier reply to you. Geez, for being a self proclaimed small engine expert, you sure don't know what the heck you're talking about.

9780470930625_300X300.jpg
Time for you to go back to school. This copy already has your name on it.

I like poulan top handle saws....i have some micros and s25 da saws that are very good runners......but that's me....

Hooray 044!!!

09d817471fb355b6594994bb9c34c228.jpg

Latest posts

Back