glut of returned saws after Irene

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, let me ask this grey area question in my opinion.

I bought a small 25cc cheap weedwacker at sears, used it for 10 minutes and realized quickly that I would not be happy with it for the long run. Immediately boxed it up, drove to sears and traded it for a larger model.

So it is really my fault for not doing the research and buying the cheap piece of junk. Should I have lived with my mistake?

Yes it was your responsibility to know what you were buying, I don't buy anything until I have properly researched it on the internet. If you don't want to do the research yourself I may suggest buying from a actual power equipment dealer, which Sears is not. You go into Sears and ask the salesman for info on a string trimmer he is just going to read you what is printed on the box.

I believe I told the store simply that I was not happy with the WW as it was underpowered. The fact that I was immediately buying the 33cc craftsman model made returning the item easier.

Thanks for the responses,. I do try to be accountable for my actions, big box store or not, we are all taking a loss when people return items either due to carelessness or even worse maliciousness.

I've been following the thread but not sure if anyone mentioned this. If the store is taking hits on returns because it's "policy", then in the end, the customers surely pay in the end. We pay for all the red tape that is involved. Whether it be customer service who is getting paid 10 bucks an hour to the manager who is getting paid much better. Either way these costs get passed down to the consumer. It doesn't matter how big or small...thats how it works. It's not right that these people do this crap whether it be at walmart or a mom and pop shop. that is just one way the prices get jacked up!

Roanoaker -

I agree completely, unfortunately I bought the weedwacker just as I purchased my first house.

A year later, I was forced to take down a few trees - this is when I got my first STIHL. It has been all down hill from there -LOL. Needless to say I know understand why mom & pop stihl/husky stores exist and they now get 100% of my business.

Personally I wouldn't feel right doing that, but it's hard to feel sorry for these big box stores that have collectively put thousands of good, knowledgable independent shops out of business. They treat their workers like crap and every year it seems they put cheaper crap on their shelves at higher prices. Then just to stay afloat, the independent businesses have to fire their employees with all the expertise and replace them with teenagers who don't know squat about anything in the store and don't care because they don't plan on working there for long.

TSC is the worst in my area, they are like a big box store without the lower prices. I've returned defective tools and seen them back on the shelves a few weeks later, even after I emphasized to the clerk that the return was because the tool was defective and not useable! Don't even think about asking anyone there for help, they don't hire many kids, just really ignorant tools. I can't count how many times I've asked if they carried something, the guy looks at me like I'm from another planet and says he never heard of it, and then 20 minutes later I finally find exactly what I was looking for in some stupid place! Hilarious!

Yes it was your responsibility to know what you were buying, I don't buy anything until I have properly researched it on the internet. If you don't want to do the research yourself I may suggest buying from a actual power equipment dealer, which Sears is not. You go into Sears and ask the salesman for info on a string trimmer he is just going to read you what is printed on the box.

Roanoker494 with you!I agree with you. that just reinforces the fact that you can buy something that you're not really "sure' of then return it for a full refund. People should be should be sure what they want to buy before they buy it. If they don't do that, then it turns into one of those info-mertials when you can buy and return without questions asked. If it is defective then it is a different story.

Does the store not have the responsibility to see that the customer atleast get good advice on what to buy. Maybee ask the poor fellow no matter how rich or poor what his needs are then act accordingly?. So Guido, you in essence would have no problem selling a 65 year old man a Husqvarna 395XP for a 20" tree that fell in his yard due to a hurricane? I really dont think any sponsor on AS would do that sir. In essence what you are suggesting is out right robbery. Am I correct?
I know what your saying. But the store IMHO has a responsibility as well.

While i agree with you that the store has a responsibility to steer their customers towards the right products for their needs, if Guido is a cashier at HD and an old guy walked up to the register with a 395XP, whats he going to do? Second guess the customer or move the line the heck out the door?

This of course assumes that we live in a fantasy world where you can buy a 395XP in a box store.

I guess my point is, after years of using HD for various and sundry needs large and small, I have learned the hard way that one of the worst things you can do there is ask an associate for item specific advice...the most I'll ask for is where is something located and a price check...otherwise, if its not on the shelf and low (and light) enough for me to get it myself, I'm walking out the door.

While i agree with you that the store has a responsibility to steer their customers towards the right products for their needs, if Guido is a cashier at HD and an old guy walked up to the register with a 395XP, whats he going to do? Second guess the customer or move the line the heck out the door?

This of course assumes that we live in a fantasy world where you can buy a 395XP in a box store.

I guess my point is, after years of using HD for various and sundry needs large and small, I have learned the hard way that one of the worst things you can do there is ask an associate for item specific advice...the most I'll ask for is where is something located and a price check...otherwise, if its not on the shelf and low (and light) enough for me to get it myself, I'm walking out the door.

O.k. I see where the confusion is. What i was talking about was salesmen not cashiers. Big difference. I was also referring to someone that asks for help. Please dont get me wrong. If a man old or young comes in and asks for a 395XP, or just waalks over and gets it, well then by all means sell it to him. I am mostly referring to mom and pop stores(395XP) where the salesmen are experts. Ya know? I stated before that the big box store salesmen could improve in that department. I guess the big box stores are just a whole different ball game. IMHO, it boils down to store policy and individual morals.

Roanoaker -

I agree completely, unfortunately I bought the weedwacker just as I purchased my first house.

A year later, I was forced to take down a few trees - this is when I got my first STIHL. It has been all down hill from there -LOL. Needless to say I know understand why mom & pop stihl/husky stores exist and they now get 100% of my business.

It is a bit of a different story due to the fact that you bought a larger model at the same time you returned the first one. Honesty is usually the key when dealing with me. If you had come into Wal-Mart and said "I just bought this and I can clearly see I need a larger model", I would probably be more inclined to work with ya(not that I am a manger or could actually decide yes or no). The best ones are the folks who tell me "the piston was scored when I bought it"....... No it wasn't...... That happened when you filled the tank up with straight gas on the first fueling. How do I know that you ask? Because I work on 2 stroke engines everyday as a hobby and I am very familiar with the different smells of straight gas and mixed fuel.

I don't think I've ever been in a Lowe's, and havent been in the nearest HD in years. When we replaced the deck, part of the roof and a couple of windows and a door I called a Menard's store for prices, as well as a two local lumberyards. I paid $230 more from the local guy but got Pella windows and doors with a warranty rather than no-name, and the local guy brought the stuff out at a time WE agreed on and his driver helped me stack stuff neatly in the garage.

Menards will deliver too, within 20 miles, but on their schedule. Like as not it gets dumped in the driveway. But the best part is that self-serve customers root through lumber stacks looking for the best sticks, but the load packer just takes what's on top so delivery customers get lots of crappy stuff. Small-town guy pulls the dregs off to the side so his customers don't call him to complain about it.

I didn't think very long about that $200 when I was enjoying a cool beveridge on my new deck, and probably won't even remember in a couple years when the new door still looks good and the window still isn't foggy in it.

I have heard that some stores are developing methods to weed out these customers, and even share this info with other retailers. I know aguy who got letters from two or three big retailers advising him that his credit was no longer good and returns would be "subject to approval". Knowing how this guy operates, I say "good enough for ya". He bought a big airless sprayer a couple of years ago, painted his house and 0ne other, (and got a little cash to do it), but took it back before the 10 days were up.

I don't have the courage to try that sort of stuff.

Funny you bring that up. I recently set up a 32 in flat screen on the shop wall. I do a awful lot of repairs on the spot. The customers will take a seat and watch TV while waiting, they really like that. I had a Elvis in concert DVD playing last. The next thing I know I got folks sittng and standing all around in the shop watching the show. Gotta be a way I can make a buck off my TV, hmmmm, hehehe

Man...talk about a possible show, and Tommy is already thinking pay-per-view!

IMHO, depending on their store policy, absolutely not. But there's a heck of a difference in using one for 10 minutes as opposed to 29 days - hours upon hours in those 29 days.
If it is their store policy that you may return it if not happy with it. Then so be it. I mean heck, you can research something till your blue in the face, but you never really know whether you will like it or not till you run it. IMHO. Within reason of course.

There is absolutely NO difference. The store cannot sell the item as new - they take the loss all because YOU didn't do your homework

YOU made the mistake in buying the wrong product in the first place. Why should the store absorb the loss (oh yeah, they pass it on in price markups, so actually I wind up paying for it), all because you made a mistake!

PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY - an endangered species in this country.

I believe when a natural disaster like a hurricane is declared the store can wright off a certain amount of loss and have a certain time limit to declare said loss and is reimbursed a portion of the loss. I am not excusing the behavior of unscrupulous people, I for one am sick and tired of working my a$$ off each day only to struggle through life doing what is right while others sit and mooch off of my labors, and BTW the big corporations everyone wants to raise taxes on let me let you in on a little secret. Taxes and other fees are added into their operating costs like labor and equipment and are passed down to the consumer which is all of us.

There is absolutely NO difference. The store cannot sell the item as new - they take the loss all because YOU didn't do your homework

YOU made the mistake in buying the wrong product in the first place. Why should the store absorb the loss (oh yeah, they pass it on in price markups, so actually I wind up paying for it), all because you made a mistake!

PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY - an endangered species in this country.

Well, thats just tough **** ole buddy. If their store policy dictates returns are acceptable then so be it. I dont give a damn if they take a loss or not. I am NOT talking about swindling a store. I am talking about HONEST retruns. If a store has a no return policy, then so be it. But heck, nobody has to research anything. The store is selling that stuff, they have a responsibility as well my friend. You believe what you wanna believe, but I feel returns are fine. I do see your point that it is no longer new-sure. But if that is their policy, then its their policy-plain and simple. Ive never stole a thing in my life nor bought anything just to use it and return it. But I will be damned if I buy something and honestly dont think it was what they described it as being then I will return it, if within their policy. I dont have to research anything on the friggin internet. Unless I want to. Homework my azz. This is a very broad subject, were not just talking about saws and tools ya know. There have been many,many claims of FALSE ADVERTISEMENT- Then YOU will go a runnin back to that store just a sqawkin for your money back because all your internet reseach was a lie.....see, sometimes all the research in the world dosent make a hill a beans difference. Dang, I had no idea SO many people do this. I have never worked in retail. So, look over me. It must be a game people are playing. But for honest people I believe returns are justified-and so do the stores, or they would not have return policies. And it will be a cold day in hell when i feel sorry for an outfit like wal mart. They run everybody else out of business, then ##### about their own store policies......What a joke.

Last edited:
The comments about Sears has me wondering, do they no longer offer the "lifetime guarantee" on Craftsman hand tools, and do they no longer proclaim "Satisfaction Guaranteed"?

Speaking of Craftsman, I now see some of their tools being offered in ACE Hardware stores. As far as i know Craftsman has always and still do have the lifetime warranty. It's the brand I use.

I can tell you how it works after being in the business for a seemingly a lifetime. The Lowes/HD's/Sears of the world really don't suffer from the returns.......it is the vendor whether it is Husky or Echo. The retailer has all the leverage, the vendor agreement is set up were they simply file a claim against the supplier for credit, most companies do not want to pay additional shipping and handling to have the product returned, especially when it has had gas in it. The retailer, gets 100% credit and gets to sell the returned product, unless they have a destroy clause in their agreement, most don't.
Today most companies try to get what is known as a defective allowance built into the vendor agreement based on the product's industry average failure rate. Hypothetical example: Lowe's get's Husky to allow a 3% defective allowance, this means Lowes deducts 3% off every invoice for defectives, they pool this in an account to cover every return, but retailers also put a clause in the vendor agreement if the return's exceed the defective allowance they can deduct 100% of the cost of the product directly from the next invoices. Of course companies/suppliers try to build this into there cost, but a bad model or a situation like hurricane returns can far exceed what they built in. Trust me I have negotiated this countless times over the years, all the retailers accounting departments can tell you to the penny what defective/return rates run and usually inflate it a couple percent to create extra profit. The suppliers are the losers, not the retailers. The suppliers have no choice but to agree to the terms if they want to sell to that channel of distrobution.
It's like being a drug addict, once they start selling box stores, they get hooked on the sales, after a couple of years of this especially with a publicly held company they can't just afford to stop as it would make the financials look horrible and people would dump their stock. It looks like Husky's fourth quarter profitability could take a major hit as a result, it's what you get for dancing with the devil. Their results for the year are already lackluster, they need to focus on the independent dealers.

I think that most of the saws returned after a big storm are bought with the intention that the saw is going to be returned when it is no longer needed. I don't think it is a case of buying the wrong saw at all. It's a case of using the saw at the expense of the retailer and vender. Just another form of stealing.

I think that most of the saws returned after a big storm are bought with the intention that the saw is going to be returned when it is no longer needed. I don't think it is a case of buying the wrong saw at all. It's a case of using the saw at the expense of the retailer and vender. Just another form of stealing.
Straight to the point in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back