Great Stihl Tuner/Modder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvaught

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think I am ready to mod my 440. Who does a great job of this? What will it cost?

Does anyone sell a new ported cylinder and polished piston that i can just swap out?

I think you should give Dean at washington Hotsaws a call. eh is a sponsor here in the other forums section. His name is kilickitatsacket on here.

boston bull man what the F is with you? you have never even run one of his saw's. give it a rest already, mabey dean should put you in a cheerleader outfit and take a pic of you holding a 460 for his website.

disclaimer....i'm sure dean is a very good builder and his work must speak for itself or he would be out of business by now........instead of moving to a bigger shop.

KF he is the only builder that took the time to help me through a few VERY minor things when I first came here. He is always there when Ic all and has an answer no questions or shortcomings. I put my trust and business in/with Dean. He does the same for me. I am helping a friend ouit who I think deserves it would you not do the same for a friend of yours?

My 440 should be here within the next two weeks..(I hope) fully woods modded. Your not too far away meet up and take it for a spin if youd like.

I too have never run a pro modded saw, but the only builder who has a great rep here, along with being decent enough to answer PMs, is Ed. (EHP)
Dean, after accepting a part from me, never had the decency to pm me that he received it, or answer any of my emails or PMs since. Pretty much fooked his rep as far as I'm concerned as I've not a) been paid for the part b) had the part returned, or c) had any fee for a saw modification yet to be done reduced by the value of the part.
They say if you loan someone $20, and never hear from them again, it was probably worth it. After that experience, I'm not comfortable sending Dean my saw, nor sending him any money. Thank god it was just a 020T muffler with a wear spot on it, and not something really valuable.

BTW Ed, I pickup the new 372 tomorrow. I will run it a bit, and make some timed cuts, and it's headed your way.
-Ralph

Begleytree, I will go on here publicly and say that if some how I forgot you. I am deeply sorry. This was not done on purpose. As for me not answering you back it is becasue I have never recieved any emails or PM's from you. I answer all every night and every morning. First thing I do and the last thing do every day. If I have let you down you have every right not to trust me and to even post your complaints. I even agree with you for doing it. Again I say that I am sorry and that it was not on purpose. I will also PM you. I do not expect to gain your business with what has happened but I will not be owing some one either. Dean

begley, I agree, ehp is number one in my book as well as most here. But, in the past, Ken Dunn was just as highly regarded, as was DozerDan till there were some obvious problems with his work..Same with Dennis Greffard, from whom I have 4 modded saws, all strong runners, but he turned into a head case. Dave Neiger has a great reputation, but is quite inactive here. Dean has had a few problems, but seems to have handled them well. Only a few here have given feedback about his saws, and I recall nothing negative in any way. Simon, on the other hand, has an ego the size of the Grand Canyon, which means, if he were on the rim. he'd be primed for a mighty big fall, based on his incredible personna. As well, i'd never pay the ridiculous prices that he charges....a new saw at list plus $, puts the outlay on one of his way way above, say, Ed's, for example. Besides, in my experience, the biggest gains can be had with a simple muffler port, easily done by anyone.

Modded saws:

200T stock, screen removed
335XPT, dual port muffler, 15% faster than 200t
335Cali dual muffler, same as Cali
338XPT, ported and modded by Dan Henry, same as 335.....$200 wasted
Shindaiwa 488 Greffardized nice saw
Solo651SP " " ok, but not that fast
346XP " " great saw still going strong after over 3 years
3120XP " " " " " " " "
357XP ehp awesome
373XP ehp "
372 Walkerized still a fast runner after 3+ years
192T ehp, keeps up with stock 200T in small wood, cheap and at 6.6 lb, a sweet little saw..not a toy!!!
old old Husky 44, modded muffler, wow, it is not far behind the 346!!
044, power tuned byMadsen's and muffler done by me, runs great, in need of rebuild
066 dual port,1995 or so model, 7.7 hp, a screamer for a stocker, why mod it?

Soon to be in transit from ehp, a 346 and a 5100 with a pipe as well as muffler, so I can pioneer piped saw treetop action:blob2: :dizzy:
and an old failed rod bearing 372 which Ed has and will rebuild and mod if he deems it worthy

Just to publically say it: Dean, I got your pm, will get back to you with the info you requested.

My post was not meant to be a slamfest on Dean, but merely relate my experience. As stated, if that happened all the time, he would be outa biz already, so it's possible my experience is unique, or maybe not.
-Ralph

I have owned saws from three builders. greffard, Ed and Dan.
Dennis Greffard built me a 026 that ran pretty good. However when I sent he saw he told it was going to take a few weeks and it turned into a 8 month job. I might also add that due to the extreme amount of time to complete the work he didnt charge me.
Ed has built me a 361 and a ms260. both are very fast and his turn around was excellant as well as his customer service. the 260 is hands down faster thean the 260 that Greffard built for me.
Dozer Dan(AKA Dozer Dud) built me a 372 that was a absolute POS. The saw cut slower than stock(sure sounded nice) and had issues with the piston slamming into the sparkplug/head.

I haven't had any saws built by dean, but i've made a few transactions with him in the past. All of my dealings with him have went superb. I've also talked to him on the phone a few times, and he is a super nice guy.

I might also add the some BS seems to follow some of the builders around on this site. When there is smoke there is usually fire frome what I have seen. Ed and Ken Dunn have been the only ones above reproach.

bcorradi said:
I haven't had any saws built by dean, but i've made a few transactions with him in the past. All of my dealings with him have went superb. I've also talked to him on the phone a few times, and he is a super nice guy.

I have bid on two saws from Dean which I did not win at auction. I asked a question each time and he responded quickly and honestly. He seems to be a stand-up guy to me. I'm no cheerleader...just reporting my experience with Klickitacsacket. He's running a business. Sometimes things get messed up running a business. $hi! happens...sometimes.

I had Dean mod a 036 Pro that my father in law gave to me and it's a night and day difference. The saw is an older saw in excellent shape but lacked the power I was used to. Since I got the saw for free, I decided that I would spend the money and have it modded. Dean did an awsome job on the saw, turn around time was great, and he answered all of my questions quickly.

My other saws are a stock MS440 with a dual port muffler and 372XP all stock. I was planning on using the 036 for pulp wood but I decided it was to slow in stock form. After getting it modded it will easily out cut my 440 but still falls a litttle short of my friends 460 and my 372. This is exactly how Dean described the saw would perform......I am extremely pleased with his services

After running this saw for almost a week now, I am seriously thinking about buying a new 361 and sending it off to him to get modded. I never thought about buying another 60cc saw until now......To me there was no need for this catergory saw. I usually alway run a 50cc or smaller saw and a 70cc or larger saw for everything else. My modded 036 seems to to be a light but potent combination for hardwoods 20"-22" and smaller with a full house chain.

I have never had any of my saws modded before but now I am thinking about getting them all modded. I don't know how this saw would stack up to the other engine builders mentioned but I am really impressed with Dean's work

BostonBull said:
KF he is the only builder that took the time to help me through a few VERY minor things when I first came here. He is always there when Ic all and has an answer no questions or shortcomings. I put my trust and business in/with Dean. He does the same for me. I am helping a friend ouit who I think deserves it would you not do the same for a friend of yours?

My 440 should be here within the next two weeks..(I hope) fully woods modded. Your not too far away meet up and take it for a spin if youd like.

I might fly up and take you up on that offer. PM me or give me a call when the saw arrives 803-730-8532. I will bring my stock saw and we could probably get some good data to post on the site.

I might drive out and take you up on your offer Boston Bull, assuming that the offer to compare saws is open to everyone. I don`t have any 044s but have several 372s that we could compare to. If that is not fair enough I could buy a new 440 and leave it stock for the sake of this comparison.

Rmihalek could be an impartial observer and he`s a pretty good operator also so he could even run both saws to eliminate any potential for deception.

I don`t mean to be slamming Dean either since I have no basis for comparison between his work and anyone elses. What I would like to see is some digital video, true digital, not some analog converted to digital or still camera mpeg video of Dean`s 460s at work. A couple of testimonials, one from a guy who hasn`t even gotten his saw yet, don`t do alot to instill confidence in me.

It goes withhout saying for those who know me that I would recommend Ken Dunn without hesitation, but the fact of the matter is that EHP is the only sponsoring sawbuilder currently here besides Dean, and of the 10 or so saws that I have which were modified by Ed, they are all winners. Any of the other saw builders mentioned by rbtree would no longer be considered by me after trying Ed`s saws versus theirs(which I`ve also owned) although with the exception of Greffard`s insane business flameout, I admit to liking the guy.

In my own perspective of truth in advertising I say that it`s time for the self proclaimed saw builders to put their money where their mouths are. If these builders, sponsors of AS or not, want to maintain any credibility at all, it`s time to either put a demo saw out in the hands of several members or at the very least put out some good video, but even video doesn`t rule out the chances for deception. My GTGs have always been an open opportunity for anyone present to demo a true everyday work saw built by Ed, KD, Dozer Dan, and Dennis Greffard and hopefully soon we`ll be demoing a Simonized saw as well. I put any saw in the hands of those present and let them decide for themselves. You honestly can`t get ant better than that.

In my experience, if you want your saw done right, send it to ehp.

Russ

Hello,
I never had any saw work done. I am going to get some done very soon with my ps7900, I have PM EHP on doing the work he replied very fast. I have to say out of every one here most of them say EHP.(what does that mean "ehp")
So, my saw will go right to him as soon as i run it.

Back