Great Stihl Tuner/Modder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BostonBull said:
Good info. Its not too often we hear about saw builders from people other than the cheering section of that builder.

so what was the good info that you heard? please explain.......

i have stock versions of the same saw's.......so i have a reference point. we have around 12 stock huskys at work and i own about 10 modded saw's and they were compared to the stock version. my first modded saw was fron dan, a 395. when i first ran his saw i swore up and down what a great saw it was, i would have sent anyone to him. then i bought another 395 and timed his against the stock one with only a muffler mod. the stock one won every time.

since my saw's won the last gtg i guess they run pretty good. i run a saw for a living and was fooled by a louder saw. this has nothing to do about the other builder, it has to do with lack of relevence to your post.

kf_tree said:
i have stock versions of the same saw's.......so i have a reference point. we have around 12 stock huskys at work and i own about 10 modded saw's and they were compared to the stock version. my first modded saw was fron dan, a 395. when i first ran his saw i swore up and down what a great saw it was, i would have sent anyone to him. then i bought another 395 and timed his against the stock one with only a muffler mod. the stock one won every time.

since my saw's won the last gtg i guess they run pretty good. i run a saw for a living and was fooled by a louder saw. this has nothing to do about the other builder, it has to do with lack of relevence to your post.

How many different builder's saws were at the gtg you won? So are you saying your saws run better then the same saw built by a different builder, or better then the same model saw built by the same builder?

bwalker said:
He is saying that his saw ran better than Dan's saw and a stock saw.
He also said a stock muffler ported saw ran better then both (Dan's saw and a stock saw). So i guess that doesn't say much.

He also said a stock muffler ported saw ran better then both (Dan's saw and a stock saw). So i guess that doesn't say much.

It says alot. Mainly that the saw Dan built was slower than a muffler modded stocker.
My muffler modded, but stock 372 beat the 372 that Dan built for me, but that one had serious mechanical issues.

It says alot. Mainly that the saw Dan built was slower than a muffler modded stocker.
My muffler modded, but stock 372 beat the 372 that Dan built for me, but that one had serious mechanical issues induced by the builder.

Yeah I guess your right it does say that the saws Dan sent you and the one Ken had, must have not been so hot.

Ken hasn't provided enough details of the GTG he won to mean much to me though.

bcorradi said:
How many different builder's saws were at the gtg you won? So are you saying your saws run better then the same saw built by a different builder, or better then the same model saw built by the same builder?

at the last gtg most saw's there were eds. at markys a 395 that he built smoked a ken dunn 066 i ran a stock 395 since it out cut the 395 dan built.

my point is i was shocked that dans saw was beaten by a stock saw with only a muffler mod. before that i would have given dan more business. i have 2 372's by ed at work we have 3 stock 372's plus 2 more in the box. i own 5 395's plus dan's. ed built 3 of them etc so i have saw's to compare his work to. i would have bought a saw from simon but he did not come through for me. i'm willing to give other builders a shot. but i know ed builds a fast saw. when i sent dan a pm about his saw, he never responded. so no more saw's from him. dean openly said he does not get good results from husky, and now he changed from high rpm saw's to lower rpm saw's but more torque. so this tells me he is still experimenting and learning. well not with my money.

do you have any other questions? if you know of another builder i'd be happy to look into his work. but i don't think i'm cheerleading for ed . i'm just stateing facts.

bwalker said:
Now if you take the same operator, the same chain/bar and run two differant saws you have some basis for comparison.

when i timed dans 395 against the muffler modded stocker. i ran both saw's and it was the same bar and chain.

kf_tree said:
at the last gtg most saw's there were eds. at markys a 395 that he built smoked a ken dunn 066 i ran a stock 395 since it out cut the 395 dan built.

my point is i was shocked that dans saw was beaten by a stock saw with only a muffler mod. before that i would have given dan more business. i have 2 372's by ed at work we have 3 stock 372's plus 2 more in the box. i own 5 395's plus dan's. ed built 3 of them etc so i have saw's to compare his work to. i would have bought a saw from simon but he did not come through for me. i'm willing to give other builders a shot. but i know ed builds a fast saw. when i sent dan a pm about his saw, he never responded. so no more saw's from him. dean openly said he does not get good results from husky, and now he changed from high rpm saw's to lower rpm saw's but more torque. so this tells me he is still experimenting and learning. well not with my money.

do you have any other questions? if you know of another builder i'd be happy to look into his work. but i don't think i'm cheerleading for ed . i'm just stateing facts.
Did you run timed cuts with the 395 and the KD 066? If not, I guess this doesn't mean much to me. Also without before and after times like you say (with a stock saw running the same setup as the modded saw) it doesn't mean much to me. As you said, you were even fooled by Dan's saw.

bcorradi said:
Did you run timed cuts with the 395 and the KD 066? If not, I guess this doesn't mean much to me. Also without before and after times like you say (with a stock saw running the same setup as the modded saw) it doesn't mean much to me. As you said, you were even fooled by Dan's saw.

my 880 also beat a 088 and 3120 built by ken dunn. you can disagree all you want but the fact remains i own or run at work both versions(stock or modded) of the same saw and cut logs on the ground side by side with another cutter and will make 2 cut to his one. that is with me sharpening all the chains and the other cutter is a very good operator.

so to answer your question were they all timed, no. but they were in most case's run side by side. but at least i have a base line to go by, you have nothing. so you can say my post's about this are meaningless but as long as i negate yours i'm happy.

Correct me if I'm wrong this is the synopsis i have gotten so far

1) You got a saw from Dan that you thought was fast until you compared it with a stock and a muffler ported saw.

2) You won a GTG competing with all the saws in the competion that were from the same builder.

3) You seen a 395 built by your builder beat a KD 066, but you didn't run timed cuts yourself to verify how the KD 066 faired against yours.

4) You own stock saws of the same models as you have modded from your builder and think the modded ones are faster.

5) You seen your 880 beat a KD 088 and KD 3120, but you didn't run the other KD saws and time the cuts to verify how fast they were if you were running them.

6) You won the last GTG running against saws built from the same builder so that tells me that maybe your better then the other operators at the GTG. If you were running the KD 088 against your 880 you possibly could have won?

Simonizer said:
A simple muffler porting job does very little. It is an important part of a complete modification, but by itself is rather,...underwhelming. T

Bulll hooey, you of the big mouth and big words, who has yet to back up your spouting with anything verifiable.

I have muffler ported several saws, and can say, without equivocation, that the gains are similar to what the rest of woods modding can achieve....so, dollar for dollar, that makes muffler work mighty sensible, as it can be done with only a dremel on many saws. In all cases, the gains have been at least 15% decrease in cut times, up to maybe 30%..or more.....

It's time for you to put up or shut up, fella....you who talks about 18 foot diameter douglas fir, and $160 to ship a saw to NY..hah:angry2:

Simonizer said:
A simple muffler porting job does very little. It is an important part of a complete modification, but by itself is rather,...underwhelming.

rbtree said:
Bulll hooey, you of the big mouth and big words, who has yet to back up his spouting with anything verifiable.

I have muffler ported several saws, and can say, without equivocation, that the gains to are about equal to what the rest of full mods can achieve....so, dollar for dollar, that makes muffler modding mighty practical, as it can be done with only a dremel on many saws. In all cases, the gains have been at least 15% decrease in cut times, up to maybe 30%..or more.....

It's time for you to put up, or shut up, fella....you who talks about 18 foot diameter douglas fir..hah:angry2:

For the cost......a modded muffler is worth it.......PERIOD!

Back