Guy trying to scam me (Craigslist) what should i do...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thats alot to be said. The seller called me with a price per cord. A scam is a scam what ever way you want to look at it. Unspilt cords are going 50-125 depending on del and how far. Now I went on the high end and got 2 1/2 cords for 250 del. To timmered I have a few choice words for you,but I won't. You guy s can look at it anyway you want, but the point is he called me with a cord and a price and in the end tried to scam me, and if you want to go futher, it was a bunch of bigger branches not firewood.

it was a bunch of bigger branches not firewood.

Not trying to be a pain in the ass,but bigger branches arent firewood?Guess I am screwing a few customers myself, the whold tree goes on the pile here, including branches on down to 4 inch stuff.Never had a complaint.

I'd give his # out to all of my friends to just have him show up and then have them refuse the delivery.
Pretty soon the guy should get the idea.:clap:

No your okay avalancher I got stuff like to and I don't mind. It's what my wife burns during the day, but not this crap. This years just been bad, my other guy still has not showed up with my junk wood (wife burns during the day). I'll be okay I think...

Guess I am screwing a few customers myself, the whold tree goes on the pile here, including branches on down to 4 inch stuff.Never had a complaint.

Down to 4 inches? If I were the customer, I wouldn't object to that at all. I keep everything down to about an inch and a half for kindling. I don't consider 4 inches to be kindling.

i sell quite a few cords of wood each year, and i like to think that i make about 90% of my customers very happy. after a couple years, i realize that i can't please everyone, and some people just can't use a tape measure or do simple math. so, those people i give a little bit of extra to just to make them happy, and move on with my life.

what pisses me off are those people who expect to get something for nothing. $60.00 for a cord of wood? you're out of your mind. do you do much cutting on your own or know how much work goes into creating a cord of firewood? $180.00 for a cord is just about the lowest i've heard around here, and generally thats being picked up by the customer and not delivered.

i'll give you that the guy should have said "face cord" and not full cord, but are you sure your wife didn't misunderstand the guy? and if you know what a face cord is and what a full cord is, shouldn't it have triggered a red flag in your mind? or, were you trying to get something for nothing?

not trying to be a blatant b-hole or anything, don't take offense, but come on dude... :cheers:

Sounds like just another idiot trying to get by; didn't expect to run into somebody that knows what a real cord is.

Whatever it is worth coming from me; I would report his ass....I feel the same way towards people that act as construction contractors without paying for all the fees and licenses that the abiding contractors do.

People like those "billy-bobs" help to run my company out of business. So, when I see em in the home centers, shopping with their customer or when I see em on the street, I stop and ask them to get licensed or quit. If I see em again, I report them to the Contractor's Board.

Same old scams, big ole bag of chips half full of air and the "rules" only apply to someone else....

I think he said it was in blocks (not split) still a cord of unsplit for $60 delivered would be cheap in my neck of the woods. I have to agree with BlueRidgeMark a cord is a cord anywhere.

Well thats alot to be said. The seller called me with a price per cord. A scam is a scam what ever way you want to look at it. Unspilt cords are going 50-125 depending on del and how far. Now I went on the high end and got 2 1/2 cords for 250 del. To timmered I have a few choice words for you,but I won't. You guy s can look at it anyway you want, but the point is he called me with a cord and a price and in the end tried to scam me, and if you want to go futher, it was a bunch of bigger branches not firewood.

So you are telling us that you can get 2.5 cords cut to length delivered for $250? That's almost mind boggling. I don't think I would cut my own at that price. A kid down the road will sell wood for $120 a cord split and delivered using his daddy's saw and his grandpa's truck and tractor. He is getting tops from daddy's and grandpa's woods and I think it is rediculus.

$100 a cord delivered. Amazing. :confused:

So you are telling us that you can get 2.5 cords cut to length delivered for $250? That's almost mind boggling. I don't think I would cut my own at that price. A kid down the road will sell wood for $120 a cord split and delivered using his daddy's saw and his grandpa's truck and tractor. He is getting tops from daddy's and grandpa's woods and I think it is rediculus.

$100 a cord delivered. Amazing. :confused:

you got a problem with a kid workin his ass off for less money than you would? he tryin to make some money. not ridiculous. apperently you cant compete with him? buy his wood and resell for more then.

I just picked up a cord for $7.01. It was white cedar and I was the high bidder. It was cut up into 3" cookies - 24". It was from a state college down the road, chain saw 101 maybe. My boys and I made quick work of it on the splitter. A few years of fire starter stuff, and I like the way it smells. Yes I had to pick it up. I drove the trailer right up to the pile.

There are deals out there. Paying for it makes me feel - not right...

When I was a kid I sold worms for $0.02 each. I would let my boys cut on my farm to make some $.

you got a problem with a kid workin his ass off for less money than you would? he tryin to make some money. not ridiculous. apperently you cant compete with him? buy his wood and resell for more then.

LOL. I don't sell wood. I think it's cool that the kid has ambition. What I don't think is cool is that he has the idea that he can make money at it while using someone else' capital. It's unrealistic and IMHO a poor life lesson. I told him that he isn't charging enough and he figured I was an idiot. Well guess what. A few chains later with a big unfilled order and daddy's truck broken down he doesn't know what to do. Guess he should have charged more and kept some capital for operations.

I've raised 5 children and am currently pretty involved with a nephew. If I let every kid I know use my stuff for free, I would have nothing and they would be dumber for having known me.

Back