HardHats and chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It puts the helmet on. If you got something going on and you don't have a hat? Why?

I can't remember ever coming close to cutting my lower extremties but I know there are those who can't help it. I would wear the chaps if I beleived they would be required. Also, if I was around other people with saws I would wear steel plated armour. Hey, I start to freak if someone is riding my rear in the wawa store line.
I do remember almost cutting someone's achilles tendon. The guy walked up behind and past me while I was yanking the pull cord of a 44 on the ground. I was still young back then and have since stopped starting the 44 on the ground. The snap-shot in my mind still gives me the chills.
Maybe knowing that they can fix tendons now will make me feel better.

Back to this helmet bit, so long and drawn out for years and years: Personally, and this is what I tell the groundies, I say" You guys seem to think I am pretty good huh? Always, getting the rope just right, putting the cut in good, not sending down crap that don't go, right ?"
Of course they agree at this point which is when I add, " Well let me know if you change your mind about that when I screw up and drop this pulley on yer head"

It puts the lotion on the skin (sorry couldn't help it)

How many people honestly always started there saw on the ground or in there crotch? i just can't do it.

Well I normally start mine in a tree so the ground thing is out...

I always wear chaps. Just part of the routine now. If they did nothing else they keep the bar oil and gas of my jeans. I nicked by knee with a pair on one day. Probably would have been 25-30 stitches if not for them. Helmet depends on the job. Some places require you to wear a hard hat if you set foot on the site. If I'm chipping it's helmet with earmuffs. Keeps the limbs from slapping my head and ears plus I don't have to listen to the noisy thing. But always at a minimum it's chaps, rubber earplugs, clear safety glasses. Everyday.

i was think about starting a thread how do u start ur chain saw. im only 23 so by no means am i old school but my mentor was and the only way to start a saw for me is "drop it" with my hand on the rear handle, should ove seen my new bosses jaw when a skinny guy like me drop started his 66 hehe

:givebeer:

and i never ever ever used that stupid compression button that things for girls or old men

i was think about starting a thread how do u start ur chain saw. im only 23 so by no means am i old school but my mentor was and the only way to start a saw for me is "drop it" with my hand on the rear handle, should ove seen my new bosses jaw when a skinny guy like me drop started his 66 hehe

and i never ever ever used that stupid compression button that things for girls or old men

Please don't bother, it's been done to death on the chainsaw forum!:chainsaw:

Please don't bother, it's been done to death on the chainsaw forum!:chainsaw:

Thank God I missed it. But I will say when I saw the kid at the saw shop stick the thing between his legs like that I was a little cornfused. I asked him if he came up with this idea hisself, he said he hadn't and a lot of guys were doing it. He even asked if I would like to try, I said I was not one of those guys.

Last edited:
It puts the lotion on the skin (sorry couldn't help it)

How many people honestly always started there saw on the ground or in there crotch? i just can't do it.

I admit, I tried it, I guess I was feeling experimental, I didn't enjoy it, I didn't do very well and don't want to do it again. I do like to watch though.

Wow kinda suprised with how maney people actully wear hats' all of the time i need to get my self a new climbing helmet i no have a hard hat wit a chin strap that was donated to me its old and uncomfy. as for chaps i didnt think that maney people did i dont think i ever seen anyone in the feild except cpl loggers i know where tem

Yeah the first comapny I worked at had them but they would always fall off .I tried to wear them but running like that...
The other places I worked I got poked at for it. One place it was mandatory but again the hat had no straps and they opposed my bike helmet which at least stays on.
I don't know why someone would go up a shaky dead tree without a hat unless he didn't care whether he lived or died. Trust me, I understand the rationality of those who don't wear a hat and its quite droll, elementary, stupit even. Its getting to the point where I don't want to be around these types.
I was thinking of hitting the army surplus store for a helmet like that, Whoo Hah.

Last edited:
i dont wear the hat all that often cause i think yea it will help if the friction saver or a biner' smacks you but come on now a 500 branch or peice of wood hard hat aint doing :censored: for your broken neck etc. i say piss on the hard hat stay out from under the tree, eyes on the climber, communication is king, and i usally try to throwball hangers out before we start!!

stand clear?

All clear?

Cutting?

Go head Cut!

then the saw should start

If I'm making more than 3 cuts with the chainsaw I put on chaps. I wear my helmet whenever working under trees or in a tree. I usually just wear muffs if chipping..... Mike

That's pretty sound logic, until you cut yourself on the first cut. Or the second. Or the third.

i dont wear the hat all that often cause i think yea it will help if the friction saver or a biner' smacks you but come on now a 500 branch or peice of wood hard hat aint doing :censored: for your broken neck etc. i say piss on the hard hat stay out from under the tree, eyes on the climber, communication is king, and i usally try to throwball hangers out before we start!!

stand clear?

All clear?

Cutting?

Go head Cut!

I was running ropes for a guy once, dead piece shattered off the spar, 3" piece 6" long hit the forward part of my helmet, I fell down in a daze. W/out the hard hat, I'd have been getting stitches and lost a day of work.

I was running ropes for a guy once, dead piece shattered off the spar, 3" piece 6" long hit the forward part of my helmet, I fell down in a daze. W/out the hard hat, I'd have been getting stitches and lost a day of work.

right our arborist ropes are LONG stay out from under the tree i was the only rope guy for 2 years my mentor taught me, i never once *knock knock* got hit by anything i always try and see whats gonna happen and give my self enough rope to be out of the way, now here and there ur gonna be under the tree but heads up especialy if you see dead wood around, ur climber should let you know if its hollow or what also

I only wear a hardhat on crane jobs, removals with lots of deadwood, and trees under pressure. And when I wear a hardhat, I wear it coonass style like the Cajun roughnecks do, so I have better visibility. I have been conked a couple of times though. I guess I've been lucky.

I usually make my ground guys wear them, especially when the chipper is going and they can't hear those headaches.

I never wear chaps. Most of my injuries have been to the hands--half severed thumb from a kickback; again, same thumb, from my 020; broken fingers; assorted pole and hand saw wounds...

Since we're talking preventative care here, when is someone going to come out with a vegetable-based bar oil. Sniffing bar oil all day has got to take a toll.

stand clear?

All clear?

Cutting?

Go head Cut!

YES! That is the rational I was talking about.

right our arborist ropes are LONG stay out from under the tree i was the only rope guy for 2 years my mentor taught me, i never once *knock knock* got hit by anything i always try and see whats gonna happen and give my self enough rope to be out of the way, now here and there ur gonna be under the tree but heads up especialy if you see dead wood around, ur climber should let you know if its hollow or what also

Seriously, there are people older than both of us here and they are wearing hats. Please have some respect cause if you don't I will do what I just did to the neighbor's kid's boyfriend which was to sneek up on him and her in the dark and open the car door, stick my smiling face in and say " If you drive this piece of crap with this piece of crap turbo loud muffler on it past my house making all sorts of noise I will cut you car into bits with a torch, God help you if you wake my daughter"
You can't, won't and shouldn't even be trying to win. Settle down, "It puts that helmet on"

Back