Heat pump water heater?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone have a heat pump water heater like the ao smith? Is it worth the extra cost? I get them at cost something like 1100$ or so. I have an electric 50 gallon tank now if I were to convert to propane it would be about the same for a power venter and a little more for a tank less but I try not to use propane.

We installed them in approx 100 homes last year. Here in Redding, CA. they work great. Our local utility co's give a $750 rebate so it make it very attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know actually costs of running them though? Am I gonna make up the extra 600 dollars and save money over 10 years with one? My electric bill is ridiculous and always has been but it's consistent unlike propane prices

I love my propane water heaters I always keep one or 2 20lb full tanks around just in case, propane cost is way down and if you take your own 100lb tank to be filled its is about 50 to 60 dollars about 2x year and the water comes out my well tap real cold from well at least 100' deep

I wonder if there is any merit to them being that efficient. Last year my moms water heater went out, it's a lease from the power company in VT. They came and replaced it with another conventional type electric. I would have thought that they would have installed the most efficient unit they could seeing how VT is all energy efficiency and such. Efficiency VT.com.
I have a friend that installed a heat pump one because he was told he had to, he says the bill isn't much different.

Anyone have a heat pump water heater like the ao smith? Is it worth the extra cost? I get them at cost something like 1100$ or so. I have an electric 50 gallon tank now if I were to convert to propane it would be about the same for a power venter and a little more for a tank less but I try not to use propane.

Why are you thinking about switching to propane? Do you know exactly how much your electric heater is costing you?

We have an 80 gallon electric, it costs us in the area of $25/mo. Family of 5, $0.18/kwh electricity. I did put an extra layer of insulation around it, and added a heat trap to the outlet. And it's up off the floor on a stand with insulation under it. Don't think you'd find anything much more economical especially factoring in up front costs. Except for a heat pump model. They also have the added benefit of dehumidifying in summer and giving a bit of a/c effect.

How old is your tank?

I saw a "different" type of water heater once. Might of been a heat pump type, not sure. Anyways, it had a special heat exchanger on it that would take the cold out of the water and supply air conditioning to cool the house. The guy had plenty of hot water and the air blowing off it was cold. He liked it well enough that he was selling his solar hotwater heater. As for how much money he saved, I have no ideal. I am almost certain this was some sort of add on to his regular electric heater because he made a big deal out of the water heater not being connected to the any power supply.

Might have been a Geyser - you can add those onto any existing heater, I think. Separate unit.

Why are you thinking about switching to propane? Do you know exactly how much your electric heater is costing you?

We have an 80 gallon electric, it costs us in the area of $25/mo. Family of 5, $0.18/kwh electricity. I did put an extra layer of insulation around it, and added a heat trap to the outlet. And it's up off the floor on a stand with insulation under it. Don't think you'd find anything much more economical especially factoring in up front costs. Except for a heat pump model. They also have the added benefit of dehumidifying in summer and giving a bit of a/c effect.

How old is your tank?

We have a family of 8, our electric utility is at $0.15/kwh. The heat pump WH is a 50 gal hybrid, which means it has the heat pump as well as 2 electric coils. In hybrid mode it is costing us approx $16/month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work for a gas and electric utility and have learned quite a bit about them. I personally work on the gas side so I have nothing to do with people switching or am incentives if they do. My utility has a 450$ rebate if you get one which brings down the cost to typical electric water heater. Check usually comes within 8 weeks after utility inspection. They go on sale for 999 for the 50 gallon. About ever two weeks at so keep checking. I also got a 10 year warranty from lowes which supposedly is a free repair or replacement for 10 year which includes labor. There is a computer in these that tracks when you typically use water so that made me nervous. For me I figured it was a 2 year payback but thay was when oil was at 3$ a gallon. I also had 7 gallon tank on our boiler so temp changed throughout the shower, this is no more.

I installed mine 2 years ago, and have installed 2 others, one being an A O Smith. In talking with people on how happy I've been with mine 5 additional people I know switched to them. All but the one have been GE's. My FIL hate GE so he got the AO Smith. Theye are supposedly a little more efficient than the GE. They have side ports for the water instead of the top like the GE so installation was a little different.

The cool dry air that these units put off is awesome. My basement is not wet at all and never had to run dehumidifiers but it's much nicer now. I wish I could have it in my living room, I would never need an air conditioner. I let the condensate drain into a 5 gallons bucket and dump it ever week. Not the best method but I didn't want to tap into my sewer line.

I only run my unit approx 6 months out of the year but it has been flawless so far. Two units that I recomended had issues. My wife's grandparents tank burst and 1 unit was bad from the factory. Idk how or why the tank issue happened but they had propane heater before and had no issues. Both sure if they have an expansion tank as I didn't install theirs. Too old of a house and didn't want to do the wiring.

I haven't noticed an increase in electric since using but it's only two people taking showers. I have plenty of hot water. When company came over which was 4 showers back to back, I turned it on high demand which allows for both heat pump and electric element and had no issues.

The guy I worked with says he switched from an on demand natural gas unit to this and saved money. My FIL was looking into solar and me being me I attended all the meetings to sort out their BS and ask what they push for water heaters. They all said heat pump and stopped installing solar bc of cost and efficiency.

Hope that cover most of it. If you have any other questions let me know.

I have a larger AO Smith. We put it in when we first bought our home about 6 years ago. Back then I was attracted by the $500 (I think) rebate from the government. However, in the same year we bought a wood stove so we got the rebate/credit for one, not both.

In the summer we use the heat pump but in the winter we don't otherwise it wouldn't heat the water because the ambient air where it's installed doesn't get above 60 in the winter and with the cold air it puts out it acts as an air conditioner which is VERY nice in the warmer months.

Only issue mine has which I've yet to address is that it squeals like hell sometimes. I'm guessing I need to take the grate off and clean/lube the fan/bearing. Other than that it's been great. Can't really compare it to the last water heater because we installed it right away. I will say that my electric bill would be lower in the warmer months except for the window A/C units we use.

Looking back would I do it again? Nope! It cost way more than normal tank hot water heaters, tankless, and point of use units. Once this goes I won't be paying 2 times the price for another one.

-Emt1581

I'm not switching to propane my tank is about 10 years old but when it goes or I get extra money I was thinking about switching to a heat pump one. I know how the tanks work but the area I work in is all natural gas we almost never put electric tanks in

We put a GE 50 gallon one in our old house. Electric bill went down 25-30 bucks a month. It worked really well. The only drawback is in the heat pump mode it took a long time to heat the water back up. With my wife and I it wasn't a problem but add a third person to the mix and the last one normally ran out of hot water. Not cold cold but not warm either.

If I was going to do it again and had propane I'd do a tankless. But if I didn't I'd do a heatpump water heater again. The cost savings was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a heat pump for house heat if I run heat pump water heater in the winter I think I would jus t be cooling the basement only to run the heater more not sure how that helps.
THe jist being if you have some other form of heat your just paying more for that than heating water.
I guess it flip flops in summer less ac. not sure where it would calculate out.
Chad

I have a GE GeoSpring water heater with the heat pump and I love it, had it for 4 ish years now. My old water heater was an indirect tank ran by my oil boiler. I would cringe listening to the oil boiler fire in the summer to heat domestic water. I leave the heater in heat pump mode year round. Its in the basement within 15 feet of my wood stove and gets fed 78-80F air all winter long. In the summer time it dehumidifies and cools the basement. I have a walkout basement with a garage door is if it gets too cool I can always open the garage door. In the spring time I might have to fire the wood stove in the evening to add some heat to the basement but it doesn't seem to extend my wood heating that I can tell. Its 50 gallons and can handle 3 reasonable showers back to back. If I have company over and anticipate a lot of showers one after another I will go put it into Hybrid mode so it swaps between heat pump and the electrical elements. Hybrid mode on the GE does not use both the heat pump and the electrical elements. If demand exceeds the heating ability of the heat pump then it switches to the lower heating element. If demand increases more then it switches to the upper element. I researched the GE heavily and was kind of disappointed they didn't design it so that the heat pump would keep running while the electrical elements helped out.
So far I have not had any issues with my GE. I read the early models were made outside of the US and had significant issues. They later switched and started making them in VA and quality improved dramatically. The ones made in the US have the red top. I bought mine for $999 and had a $300 tax credit.

I'd think running the heat pump and the electric elements at the same time would draw to much amperage and need a large breaker. I have a raised ranch and my garage is half of my basement so in the winter it's about 50 down there idk if I want air-condition from a water heater at the same time.

But what I really wanna know is the real dollar savings every month between a heat pump and a regular electric heater. My electric bill is twice my parents and my house is smaller but I have a 2 year old. They have a natural gas water heater.

I don't have one so can't say with authority, but from what I have read I think a 50% savings over a conventional electric is not outlandish to expect. So real dollar savings depends how much real dollars of your electric bill your hot water heater is using.

How much is your power bill? Electric tank type resistance water heaters aren't as bad a some think - unless maybe it's a dinosaur with not much insulation & no heat traps.

It's around 140 a month which everyone else I've talked to with all electric appliances around here is about the same. Between the dryer and the water heater I'd say that's half my bill? It was the same at my last house with an electric tank and electric dryer. My MIL lives about 10 min away with a power vented natural gas tank and boiler with electric dryer pays 20 something a month. I'd expect mine to be 3 or 4 times that cause of having a family. So that's what I wanna know is less than 100 a month possible with a heat pump water heater?

The only way you will know for sure is buy one & find out. Or, measure how much you heater is using now in a month with a monitoring device, like an Effergy - then you might get half an idea of potential savings. We can't tell where all your juice is going. Lots of times people go to monitoring their house to see where they can save only to find out the water heater wasn't using as much as they thought. 140 a month isn't out to lunch. I'm around 100, with a $10 base charge + 0.15/kWh.

140 is on the high end like the last reading around Christmas time with all the lights and such. I just didn't know if any had one and it was worth the extra 600 dollars. But yea who knows it may not be the water heater that costs a lot then I'd be really mad after spending all the extra money lol.

Back