Help choosing a 70 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 7910 is a pound heavier than a 7900? where is the additional weight? I thought it was just a muffler difference between the 2?

the added improvements....A/V limiter, SLR added to the muffler, muffler brace that was added because of the heavier SLR muffler, a bit of fudging on the original numbers maybe. I cant think of any other changes that would add weight but the SLR muffler is quite a bit heavier than the standard muffler. the 6400 cat muffler is even heavier than the SLR muffler

very interesting. 7900, 064, and 262xp are all neck and neck for the greatest "power to weight ratio" saw. 7900 being at the top.

Thanks Clint, that is kinda what I thought. What does that do to the HP / Wt #s???

Although, what is the value of the #s? A 10 mm 044 is rated at less HP than a MS 440, but will usually out cut it.

I can search and find a factory rated wt for the 044 at 13 lbs, which is complete BS! But if you then say that it also had the HP of the later MS 440, what a great ratio that would be, but it is complete BS.

Like Mark Twain once said, "there are lies, damn lies & statistics!"

So the wt of a 7900 is a little more than an 046/460. Stock, the 7900 will eat it up (unless perhaps you have a first year 046). Ported, the 046/460 is very strong performer. I'm not saying you can't make the 7900 stronger, but you have to jump through a lot more hoops to do it. Porting those things right is tricky business, the 046/460 is a lot more straight forward.

Thanks Clint, that is kinda what I thought. What does that do to the HP / Wt #s???

Although, what is the value of the #s? A 10 mm 044 is rated at less HP than a MS 440, but will usually out cut it.

I can search and find a factory rated wt for the 044 at 13 lbs, which is complete BS! But if you then say that it also had the HP of the later MS 440, what a great ratio that would be, but it is complete BS.

So the wt of a 7900 is a little more than an 046/460. Stock, the 7900 will eat it
IMO where the 7910 shines compared to the 046/460 is the anti vibe. They run so smooth. :)

So the wt of a 7900 is a little more than an 046/460. Stock, the 7900 will eat it up (unless perhaps you have a first year 046). Ported, the 046/460 is very strong performer. I'm not saying you can't make the 7900 stronger, but you have to jump through a lot more hoops to do it. Porting those things right is tricky business, the 046/460 is a lot more straight forward.

You should add a hd2 filter and a dual port muffler to the 044 ,i hear that helps a lot ;)

Mike did you port a 7900 ?

Nope, never ported any saw, but I've read about them doing it, and it is more complex than most.

For example, they also have to mess with the carb to get a ported one to run right, something they don't have to do with a 460, but thanks for testing my knowledge, I appreciate it. The port timing is also somewhat different on this saw, in part due to the smaller case volume.

You certainly are "watching", like you said you would about a year ago.

It is nice to know I got a Fairy God Mother on this site, even if it ain't such a good looking one!

Have you ever ported a 7900???

Nope, never ported any saw, but I've read about them doing it, and it is more complex than most.

For example, they also have to mess with the carb to get a ported one to run right, something they don't have to do with a 460, but thanks for testing my knowledge, I appreciate it. The port timing is also somewhat different on this saw, in part due to the smaller case volume.

You certainly are "watching", like you said you would about a year ago.

It is nice to know I got a Fairy God Mother on this site, even if it ain't such a good looking one!

Have you ever ported a 7900???

no i never tried it , i was hoping you did so i could get a few pointers , i was gonna buy a few more hand pieces but my teeth are more important right now :(

I don't know. According to my "research", the 046 is at least as heavy as a 7900...
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back