Help choosing a 70 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take is this:
Dolmar 6400-7900 is the same chassis and is essentially an 80cc saw. the 6400 has wonderful torque (which Hp specks don't capture). Buy a 6400 right and make it a ported 7900 when you're able.
I love my 372 and its not going anywhere. That said, after running another member's ported 10mm 044, I realized that IT was the saw I was looking for when I bought my 372.I could do without the 372's shrill whistle of the air injection. Ehh.
The MS461 looks and feels nice in my hands. I have not run one, but some people that I know (and know their proclivities) like them and that has my attention.
I like the power of the 576xpAT but not the feel. If I was leaning towards a 576, I would just opt for a 390xp and have a better handling saw AND more power for not much more money.
I like the AV of the 441, but not the weight of handling. Here the 365/044/440/372xp shine. IMHO the 461 doesn't feel much if any heavier then the 441 and it has a better balance with a 28" bar not to mention power.
The Echo CS-800p looks nice and well built but looks pretty slow compared to the German and Swedish competition.

If you have a chance, find a few of these prospects give them a feel. Run them if you can. Some saws feel a lot different in use than static. Similar to how heavy a Harley Electra-glide feels sitting still, vs how light it feels once you get rolling.

Good hearing protection goes a long way in dulling that down.. ;) :)

If you could buy a 6400 Dolmar or Makita right ($150-300) you could then add a $180 OEM 7900 piston and cylinder on, re-tune the carb and have a darn nice 80cc saw for for $320-500ish... I love my 372 and will have an 044 but from the point of R.O.I and frugality's sake, that's hard to turn down.

My best advise, buy something that has good dealer support.
That would likely put me in another Stihl... I have a dealer about 6-7 miles from me that I've done business with for over 25 years.
I'm gonna' be goin' by there this morning on my way to Brooklyn; need to pick up a couple rims for the saw... I'll fondle something while I'm there.
But I'm still confused... LOL

My best advise, buy something that has good dealer support.
Support local dealers and businesses when possible. internet and box stores are killing off the small local guys that will truly give you the best service and care about having a happy customer.supporting a local shop is good advice for those that have a good dealer nearby but for those that dont...or the only dealer is a stihl..and no offense to anyone but stihl is 10-20% higher for the same saw from any other major brand. some people just cant afford that.

...no offense to anyone but stihl is 10-20% higher for the same saw from any other major brand.
Agreed... ya' do pay something for the badge.
I'm likely gonna' be lookin' at used, I'm not overly concerned with havin' a "factory" warranty and can't really justify "new"... heck, I'm countin' on you boys for some help anyway :D
But gettin' parts and pieces for Stihl is real easy with him so close... and he does good, reliable work at a fair rate if it gets to be more than I'm comfortable with. He also takes trade-ins/works on other brands, deals in ATVs, PWC, and several sorts of OPE and toys... he's sort of an "outdoor fun" shop.
Ya' just never know though, I may find something at a yard sale.

I have been able to run an 044, 372xp and my 7900. All are great saws, but the 7900 far and away impressed me the most. I just cant get enough of it lol. Just like with the 60cc class, I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. I would go with which ever fits your budget the best. I am lucky to have a local Dolmar dealer but with Nates (fordf150) parts inventory, customer service and fast shipping, it wouldnt bother me to not have one either.

for some reason this area has mostly been a husky/j-red and stihl stronghold --you rarely ever see a dolmar saw in these parts of the woods.

come to think of it that saw i ran was not a 7900 it was a much more early model-it was a big bastard about the size and weight of a husky 77- i think this was from the late 80s.

Latest posts

Back