Help choosing a 70 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I notice no difference in vibs. Both are great. Weight? Yep, the Xtorques do weigh just a bit more. But not really noticeable. I like the better fuel mileage and clean burn of the xtorq. And they seem to make more torque. It's my go to Husky in this size range. Team it up with a 550xp and what a nice pair you have!

You can drive yourself crazy looking at specs. They usually aren't correct anyway.
I have had a 460, 7900, 576AT and now a 365XT. They are all nice. Personally, I didn't care much for the Stihl. The 7900 and 576 were about equal in power. I like the 365xt because it seems more nimble. It's just what you like. If cost is a concern keep an eye out in the Tradin Post.
I don't own the 460, 7900, or 576 anymore but I still get to work on them. My friends buy them and think they come with a lifetime warranty.:nofunny:

You have a 550XP? Buy a 372XP. Want a Stihl? Get a 441. Your hands will thank you for the spring anti vibe handle mounts.
I can respect the anti vibrations but I got tree guys wishing that it wasn't on it every time it cracks off the cylinder. Good design for anti vibrating but can't take a small knock with out cracking off. 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other.

I can respect the anti vibrations but I got tree guys wishing that it wasn't on it every time it cracks off the cylinder. Good design for anti vibrating but can't take a small knock with out cracking off. 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other.

I always wondered what the issue was there. It has to be operator error. I had a 372XP that wore a 32" bar its entire life and never once broke a mount. It lasted eight years in a production falling environment.

None of my 441s have had that issue, and they all wear 28" bars in eastern hardwoods. They live as crew saws, and I have good guys running them, but they still work 40 hours a week, at least. On wildland fires to cutting to open up acess roads and storm cleanup.

I think if you don't abuse them the spring antivibe mounts are not a problem. Abusive operators are what kill them.

I always wondered what the issue was there. It has to be operator error. I had a 372XP that wore a 32" bar its entire life and never once broke a mount. It lasted eight years in a production falling environment.

None of my 441s have had that issue, and they all wear 28" bars in eastern hardwoods. They live as crew saws, and I have good guys running them, but they still work 40 hours a week, at least. On wildland fires to cutting to open up acess roads and storm cleanup.

I think if you don't abuse them the spring antivibe mounts are not a problem. Abusive operators are what kill them.
I guess the key word is abuse Lolol
I can say these guys r ruff with equipment. But on that not they never brought an ms360 or 460 magnum with this problem. Those models can handle it.

I guess the key word is abuse Lolol
I can say these guys r ruff with equipment. But on that not they never brought an ms360 or 460 magnum with this problem. Those models can handle it.

I will also say the Husky springs are a little more solid than the ones that come on the non-wrap (Read: NOT MS441R-CM) 441s. But I used (and still have) 044s and 440s for years, with the occasional 046 and 460 in the 70cc class, and even in my relative youth in comparison to some guys here, and my body thanks me every time I pick up a 441 or 372.

:popcorn2: Must be saw buying time. Half a dozen threads asking which saw to buy right now. Maybe we should combine them all.

Btw
6400 $535 w/20" laminate bar
6400H $615 w/20" laminate bar
7910 $750 PHO

7910 P&C kit $215 shipped

There are a lot of factors when it comes to vibration sensitivity, and people that do it every day may have a different take than people (like me) who don't. Also, some people are more sensitive to it than others.

That said, I notice the difference between a saw with spring AV more when the saw is not in the wood than when it is in the wood. I also think square file cuts smoother than round. My small saw, that I limb with (362-C) has spring AV. My other saws, that are used mostly for bucking, do not, and the vibration has never been an issue for me with them. I run square on all of them, unless the wood is dirty. (and I have a loop of carbide for the real dirty stuff)

Before I got my first 044 (Dec 92) the Homelite saws I used vibrated mercilessly. I can remember my hands still vibrating for good periods of time after I got done cutting with them on cold days. I have never suffered any ill effects from vibration from any of my Stihl saws. There is a world of difference between them.

Perhaps those old Homelites conditioned me to not be so sensitive, they were horrible IMO.

That is my take, but each person should use what THEY feel comfortable with.

I admit that I don't run a chainsaw every day but I use to run a 90 pd hammer for 8 years straight
and when we got a new one that didn't hit so hard on the hands we fought over it so I can understand why.

My take is this:
Dolmar 6400-7900 is the same chassis and is essentially an 80cc saw. the 6400 has wonderful torque (which Hp specks don't capture). Buy a 6400 right and make it a ported 7900 when you're able.
I love my 372 and its not going anywhere. That said, after running another member's ported 10mm 044, I realized that IT was the saw I was looking for when I bought my 372.I could do without the 372's shrill whistle of the air injection. Ehh.
The MS461 looks and feels nice in my hands. I have not run one, but some people that I know (and know their proclivities) like them and that has my attention.
I like the power of the 576xpAT but not the feel. If I was leaning towards a 576, I would just opt for a 390xp and have a better handling saw AND more power for not much more money.
I like the AV of the 441, but not the weight of handling. Here the 365/044/440/372xp shine. IMHO the 461 doesn't feel much if any heavier then the 441 and it has a better balance with a 28" bar not to mention power.
The Echo CS-800p looks nice and well built but looks pretty slow compared to the German and Swedish competition.

If you have a chance, find a few of these prospects give them a feel. Run them if you can. Some saws feel a lot different in use than static. Similar to how heavy a Harley Electra-glide feels sitting still, vs how light it feels once you get rolling.

My take is this:
Dolmar 6400-7900 is the same chassis and is essentially an 80cc saw. the 6400 has wonderful torque (which Hp specks don't capture). Buy a 6400 right and make it a ported 7900 when you're able.
I love my 372 and its not going anywhere. That said, after running another member's ported 10mm 044, I realized that IT was the saw I was looking for when I bought my 372.I could do without the 372's shrill whistle of the air injection. Ehh.
The MS461 looks and feels nice in my hands. I have not run one, but some people that I know (and know their proclivities) like them and that has my attention.
I like the power of the 576xpAT but not the feel. If I was leaning towards a 576, I would just opt for a 390xp and have a better handling saw AND more power for not much more money.
I like the AV of the 441, but not the weight of handling. Here the 365/044/440/372xp shine. IMHO the 461 doesn't feel much if any heavier then the 441 and it has a better balance with a 28" bar not to mention power.
The Echo CS-800p looks nice and well built but looks pretty slow compared to the German and Swedish competition.

If you have a chance, find a few of these prospects give them a feel. Run them if you can. Some saws feel a lot different in use than static. Similar to how heavy a Harley Electra-glide feels sitting still, vs how light it feels once you get rolling.
Yah... What he said. Lol

The 044 in the trading post has my interest as well. I'm hesitant to go the used route though. I don't have a dozen part saws laying around like some of the guys on here.
Just out of curiosity why do you need a parts saw to buy used? IMO if the wear parts on a saw break your better off putting a new AM on before putting used on. I'm talking like the clutch, spur gear, intake boot, impulse lines,etc. If your talking about my used 044. Drop redoakman a pm. It was his saw before mine. He can give you the whole run down of that saw. I hope your having some luck choosing. It's hard isn't it! Lol.

Latest posts

Back